Hong Kong police arrest 84 in 3-day crackdown on illegal riders of electric mobility devices

Hong Kong police have rounded up 84 people in a three-day crackdown on the illegal use of electric mobility devices in the New Territories, marking the biggest operation of this kind in recent years.

Acting Chief Inspector Ngai Siu-cheong of the New Territories North traffic unit said on Thursday that preliminary investigations indicated 29 of the 84 devices seized in the operation between Monday and Wednesday had been used for food delivery.

Ngai said police also recently discovered that some parents had been using e-bicycles to transport their children to and from school, as well as for other travel.

“Some parents even modified their e-bicycles to add extra seats, allowing them to carry more children, [as many as] two to three at a time,” he added.

Ngai urged parents not to use such electric mobility devices to transport children, stressing that “their acts not only violate the related laws but also pose a danger to the safety of all road users”.

According to the force, some of the electric mobility devices seized in previous operations could hit speeds of more than 50km/h (31mph).

Twenty-nine of the 84 devices seized in operation had been used for food delivery. Photo: Jelly Tse

Ngai said many parents caught in the latest operation did not have driving licences.

“They are unfamiliar with road conditions and traffic signals and put other road users at greater risk by riding such devices on the road,” he warned.

On May 27, police arrested a 34-year-old woman for eight traffic-related offences after she allegedly rode a suspected e-bicycle carrying three children without helmets as passengers, and ignoring road signals in Tin Shui Wai.

Three days earlier, the force arrested another woman, 37, on suspicion of riding an e-bicycle along a pavement while carrying two children in Sheung Shui.
Before those cases, police rounded up 34 in another major crackdown on the illegal use of e-bicycles and other powered devices, also in the New Territories.

In the latest operation, the 84 electric mobility devices – 69 e-bicycles and 15 scooters – were intercepted in Tai Po, Sheung Shui, Tuen Mun, Yuen Long, Tin Shui Wai and Lok Ma Chau.

The 64 men and 20 women aged from 17 to 76 were detained on suspicion of offences such as riding an unregistered vehicle, driving without a licence, using a vehicle without third-party insurance and driving a motorcycle on a pedestrian path.

During the operation, officers also distributed more than 600 fliers to raise public awareness about the illegal use of electric mobility devices in those districts.

All suspects were released on bail pending further investigation.

Nai said police would continue to enforce strict actions against the illegal use of electric mobility devices, adding that driving such devices without a valid licence violated the Road Traffic Ordinance and other regulations.

Offences under the Road Traffic Ordinance are punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a HK$10,000 (US$1,280) fine.

According to the ordinance, a mechanically or electrically propelled bicycle is classified as a motorised vehicle.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

China Telecom is leading the Hong Kong landing of the Asia Link Cable system to strengthen regional connectivity across Asia.

China Telecom Advances ALC Landing in Hong Kong

By Vietnam NewsMay 14, 2026 HONG KONG SAR – Media OutReach Newswire – 14 May 2026 – On May 14, 2026, the Asia Link Cable (ALC) international submarine cable, led and constructed by China Telecom, has successfully landed at the Chung Hom Kok Cable Landing Station in Hong Kong, China. The successful landing marks a key milestone

Fujian firms tap Hong Kong’s financial might to fuel global expansion

Fujian firms tap Hong Kong’s financial might to fuel global expansion

A roadshow co-hosted by the Fujian Provincial Administration of Local Financial Regulation and Industrial Securities is underway in Hong Kong, on May 15, 2026. (PROVIDED TO CHINA DAILY) Companies from Fujian province are looking to access superior capital and technological resources via the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to further expand their global footprint, according

Hong Kong’s M+ museum to showcase collections in Paris under 5-year deal

Hong Kong’s M+ museum to showcase collections in Paris under 5-year deal

Collections from Hong Kong’s M+ museum will be exhibited in Paris alongside those from Centre Pompidou in France under a five-year deal signed by the two institutions, which also covers research and talent exchange. The memorandum of understanding for a multi-year strategic partnership was signed on Friday by Suhanya Raffel, M+ director, and Laurent Le

IMF lauds resilient Hong Kong economy but warns of risks linked to Middle East war

IMF lauds resilient Hong Kong economy but warns of risks linked to Middle East war

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lauded the resilience of Hong Kong’s economy, noting a sustained recovery despite economic activity having yet to return to pre-Covid levels, while warning of downside risks stemming from escalating geopolitical tensions. It also urged Hong Kong to pursue medium-term financial reforms, including the introduction of a goods and services

6 bids for Hong Kong land sale signal renewed confidence despite market caution

6 bids for Hong Kong land sale signal renewed confidence despite market caution

The Hong Kong government’s first land sale in the current financial year has drawn six bids, according to the Development Bureau, including those from the city’s largest developers, suggesting a more confident outlook for the residential property market. At the close of tender for Tung Chung Town Lot No 54 at Area 106A on Friday

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x