Trump gathers members of Board of Peace for first meeting, with some U.S. allies wary : NPR

President Donald Trump's name is seen on the U.S. Institute of Peace building, Dec. 4, 2025, in Washington.

President Donald Trump’s name is seen on the U.S. Institute of Peace building, Dec. 4, 2025, in Washington.

Evan Vucci/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Evan Vucci/AP

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will gather Thursday with representatives from more than two dozen countries that have joined his Board of Peace — and several that have opted not to — for an inaugural meeting that will focus on reconstruction and building an international stabilization force for a war-battered Gaza, where a shaky ceasefire deal persists.

Trump announced ahead of the meeting that board members have pledged $5 billion for reconstruction, a fraction of the estimated $70 billion needed to rebuild the Palestinian territory decimated after two years of war. Members are expected to unveil commitments of thousands of personnel to international stabilization and police forces for the territory.

“We have the greatest leaders in the world joining the Board of Peace,” Trump told reporters earlier this week. “I think it has the chance to be the most consequential board ever assembled of any kind.”

The board was initiated as part of Trump’s 20-point peace plan to end the conflict in Gaza. But since the October ceasefire, Trump’s vision for the board has morphed and he wants it to have an even more ambitious remit — one that will not only complete the Herculean task of bringing lasting peace between Israel and Hamas but will also help resolve conflicts around the globe.

But ahead of the board’s first gathering, the Gaza ceasefire deal remains fragile and Trump’s expanded vision for it has triggered fears the U.S. president is looking to create a rival to the United Nations. Trump earlier this week said he hoped the board would push the U.N. to “get on the ball.”

“The United Nations has great potential,” he said. “They haven’t lived up to the potential.”

Some US allies remain skeptical

More than 40 countries and the European Union have confirmed they will send officials to Thursday’s meeting, according to a senior administration official who was not authorized to comment publicly. Germany, Italy, Norway and Switzerland are among more than a dozen countries that have not joined the board but are expected to attend as observers, the official said.

The U.N. Security Council held a high-level meeting Wednesday on the ceasefire deal and Israel’s efforts to expand control in the West Bank. The U.N. session in New York was originally scheduled for Thursday but was moved up after Trump announced the board’s meeting for the same date and it became clear that it would complicate travel plans for diplomats planning to attend both.

Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin told reporters earlier this week that “at the international level it should above all be the U.N. that manages these crisis situations.” The Trump administration on Wednesday pushed back on the Vatican’s concerns.

“This president has a very bold and ambitious plan and vision to rebuild and reconstruct Gaza, which is well underway because of the Board of Peace,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said. “This is a legitimate organization where there are tens of member countries from around the world.”

Mike Waltz, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., also pushed back on skeptical allies, saying the board is “not talking, it is doing.”

“We are hearing the chattering class criticizing the structure of the board, that it’s unconventional, that it’s unprecedented,” Waltz said. “Again, the old ways were not working.”

Questions about disarming Hamas

Central to Thursday’s discussions will be creating an armed international stabilization force to keep security and ensure the disarming of the militant Hamas group, a key demand of Israel and a cornerstone of the ceasefire deal.

But thus far, only Indonesia has offered a firm commitment to Trump for the proposed force. And Hamas has provided little confidence that it is willing to move forward on disarmament. The administration is “under no illusions on the challenges regarding demilitarization” but has been encouraged by what mediators have reported back, according to a U.S. official who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto pledged to work closely with other leading Islamic countries invited by Trump to “join in the endeavors to try to achieve lasting peace in Palestine.”

“We recognize there are still obstacles to be overcome, but at least my position is at least we have to try, and we have to do our best,” he said at an event at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday, where he met with members of the business community.

On Thursday, updates are expected from the Gaza Executive Board, the operational arm of the board, about its efforts to create a functioning government system and services for the territory, according to the official who spoke on condition of anonymity to preview the broad outlines of the meeting.

In addition to Trump, the official said other speakers at the conference would include Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff, Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, the executive board’s high representative Nickolay Mladenov, and Waltz.

Michael Hanna, U.S. program director at the International Crisis Group, a nonprofit group focused on preventing conflicts, suggested the skepticism some U.S. allies are showing is not unwarranted.

“Without any clear authorization for the expansion of its mandate beyond Gaza, it is unsurprising that many U.S. allies and partners have chosen to decline Trump’s offer to join the board,” Hanna said. “Instead, many of the states most invested in Gaza’s future have signed up with the hope of focusing U.S. attention and encouraging Trump himself to use the influence and leverage he has with Israel.”

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Russia Putin says U.S. oil blockade on Cuba is unacceptable

Russian President Vladimir Putin greets Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla during their meeting at the Senate Palace of the Kremlin in Moscow on February 18, 2026. Pavel Bednyakov | Afp | Getty Images Russian President Vladimir Putin has sharply criticized the Trump administration’s fuel blockade on Cuba, saying Moscow considers the latest restrictions unacceptable.

He drew a line with Trump. Now Oklahoma’s governor is drawing the president‘s ire

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt arrived in Washington this week with invitations to two White House meetings from an angry President Donald Trump. Trump and Stitt, chair of the National Governors Association, were at odds over whether all the nation’s governors should be invited to the White House for what’s typically a bipartisan annual event. Trump’s

OpenAI Has a Hollywood Problem. They Just Hired a Guy to Fix It.

A “detriment” to human creativity, said Vince Gilligan, creator of “Breaking Bad” and “Pluribus” about AI. “Horrifying,” said James Cameron about the possibility of AI actors. “I’d rather die,” said Guillermo del Toro. “Incredibly destructive,” said Cate Blanchett. It’s not hard to see why OpenAI recognizes it has a bit of an image problem among

Elon Musk DID Tweet ‘I Agree With The Teachings Of Jesus’

Does a legitimate screenshot show that Elon Musk in February of 2026 wrote “I agree with the teachings of Jesus,” in an X post? Yes, that’s true: The X owner did post that message on his verified account. The screenshot does not alter his post. The claim appeared in a February 17, 2026, post on

Bill Gates cancels speech at AI summit, TCS-OpenAI collaboration, IMF on China’s economic policies, FOMC minutes and more

In today’s newsletter, we take a look at Bill Gates’ cancellation of his speech at the AI summit, TCS’s new collaboration with OpenAI, the IMF’s warning on China’s economic policies, details from the FOMC minutes, Nvidia’s recent gains, and more. Bill Gates cancels keynote address at AI Impact Summit amid Epstein files controversy Microsoft founder

Analysis: Trump’s rationale is still opaque as he slides closer to war with Iran

The United States may be on the cusp of launching military action that would mark the most decisive moment in its near half-century showdown with Iran. Yet there’s little public debate about what could be a weekslong assault with consequences that are impossible to predict. There’s no full-court press from top national security officials. President

Trump signs order to promote the production of weedkiller hated by MAHA

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on Feb. 18, 2026. Saul Loeb | AFP | Getty Images President Donald Trump on Wednesday issued an executive order invoking the Defense Production Act to promote the domestic production of phosphorus and

Celebrities confirmed or rumored to attend Super Bowl in United States

As Super Bowl LX arrives on Feb. 8, attention is split between the championship and the constellation of celebrities who turn the event into a cultural moment. Who’s in the crowd and who’s performing can shape headlines and social feeds just as much as the game itself. The halftime show is the biggest draw for

扎克伯格出席青少年社媒成癮案法庭聽證 | Meta | Instagram | 訴訟

【大紀元2026年02月19日訊】(大紀元記者林燕綜合報導)週三(2月18日),美國商務部,Meta首席執行官馬克‧扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg),就青少年社交媒體成癮案在洛杉磯高等法院出庭作證。 當地時間上午8:30左右,扎克伯格從洛杉磯高等法院正門進入,穿過一群排隊等候的家長、媒體記者和陪審員。他沒有回答關於「對那些聲稱孩子因社交媒體而受到傷害的家長說些什麼」的問題。 這是一起具有里程碑意義的案件,該案涉及社交媒體平台對兒童造成傷害的指控。這也是科技公司首次在陪審團面前回應有關青少年安全的指控。 這起訴訟案名為「K.G.M.訴Meta Platforms, Inc.等」,由一位20歲的加州女性提起,其律師稱她為「凱莉」(Kaley)。原告稱,Meta和其它社交媒體公司設計平台以吸引青少年用戶,加劇了她的抑鬱和自殺念頭,並尋求追究這些公司的責任。 Meta旗下的Instagram和谷歌旗下的YouTube否認了這些指控,並援引多年來不斷完善的安全功能和家長控制作為辯護理由。它們是此案的剩餘兩家被告,其餘兩名被告TikTok和Snap已與當事人達成和解。 庭審要點:質疑Instagram的用戶年齡政策 週三,扎克伯格被追問13歲以下兒童是否可以訪問Instagram。該應用的技術要求用戶必須年滿13歲才能註冊,而扎克伯格表示,年齡更小的兒童「不允許使用Instagram」。 但原告律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)出示了一份Instagram在2015年的內部文件,該文件估計有超過400萬Instagram用戶未滿13歲,這一人數占「美國10至12歲兒童總數的30%」。拉尼爾表示,現年20歲的原告凱莉從9歲就開始使用Instagram。 拉尼爾指出,直到2019年12月,Instagram才開始要求新用戶在註冊時輸入出生日期;此前,它只要求用戶確認自己已年滿13歲。2021年8月,Instagram開始要求之前未提供出生日期的現有用戶提供出生日期,這是為保障青少年用戶安全而採取的措施之一。 這意味著凱莉加入該平台時根本沒有被詢問年齡。 扎克伯格表示,在2019年,也就是出生日期規則實施之前,他們「對隱私問題有些擔憂」,但他認為最終他們找到了正確的政策。 這位Facebook創始人表示,公司會移除所有被發現的未成年用戶,並在註冊過程中加入有關年齡使用的條款。 「你指望一個9歲的孩子能讀懂所有的小字條款嗎?」原告律師質問道,「這就是你宣誓作證說13歲以下兒童不能註冊的依據嗎?」 庭審要點:增加青少年在平台時長並非公司目標 扎克伯格回應了有關公司報告稱青少年用戶在其平台上的留存率更高的文件的問題。他表示,律師們「曲解」了他的話,並稱Meta並非總是會發布正在開發中的產品,例如面向13歲以下用戶的Instagram應用。 扎克伯格反駁了將增加用戶在Instagram上使用時間作為公司目標的說法。 扎克伯格是在回應一封2015年的電子郵件。在那封郵件中,扎克伯格提到了公司的一項三年計劃,其中包括「Instagram 的時間——增加10%」,並強調提高用戶參與度指標是當務之急。 他解釋說,雖然這封郵件中可能出現了「公司目標」這個詞,但這些言論可能只是一種願景,並堅稱Meta並沒有這樣的目標。 原告律師隨後出示了Instagram首席執行官亞當·莫塞裡(Adam Mosseri)提供的證據,其中包括公司設定的目標:到2023年將用戶在平台上的每日活躍時間提升至40分鐘,到2026年提升至46分鐘。 當拉尼爾質疑扎克伯格和Meta是否設定了最大化用戶在社媒上花費時間的目標時,雙方的爭論變得有些激烈。 扎克伯格表示,公司「早期」確實設定過以用戶使用時間為目標的指標,但後來公司將重點轉向了「實用性和價值」。他強調,Meta正在構建各種服務,以幫助人們建立聯繫。 扎克伯格回應說:「我們過去會給團隊設定目標……後來我們改變了做法,因為我認為這不是管理公司的最佳方式。」他辯稱,拉尼爾誤解了他十年前的話。 庭審要點:為何允許美顏濾鏡功能 扎克伯格表示,公司就Instagram美顏濾鏡的使用諮詢了各利益相關方,但他並未透露具體名單。 原告律師說,根據之前的消息,他解除禁令的原因是認為該禁令「帶有家長作風」。 「這聽起來像是我會說的話,也是我的感受,」扎克伯格回答道,「感覺有點專橫跋扈。」 扎克伯格被追問,既然公司收到專家意見,認為美顏濾鏡會對用戶產生負面影響,尤其是對年輕女孩,那麼為何最終還是允許使用該功能。 原告律師特別提及芝加哥大學的一項研究。該研究由18位專家共同完成,他們指出美顏濾鏡功能會對少女造成傷害。 扎克伯格表示,他看到了這些反饋,並與團隊進行了討論,最終決定該問題應歸屬於言論自由範疇。 法官警告不許用智能眼鏡偷拍錄像 週三,在扎克伯格作證期間,主管法官在法庭上直接點名批評了Meta的智能眼鏡。法官表示,任何在法庭上使用該產品的錄音功能都將構成藐視法庭罪。 「如果你使用了該產品,你必須刪除錄音,否則你將被判藐視法庭罪,」法官卡羅琳·庫爾(Carolyn Kuhl )說。「這會非常嚴重。」 CNBC指出,週三陪同扎克伯格進入法庭的工作人員中有人被拍到佩戴雷朋Meta眼鏡。 本案的重要意義 週三的法庭審判標誌著扎克伯格將首次在陪審團面前回答類似的問題。同樣,有痛失愛子的父母坐在為數不多的公眾席位上旁聽。 一些因孩子在社交媒體受到傷害甚至死亡的家長從全國各地趕來旁聽。他們表示,在多年來人們對Facebook和Instagram等平台上的青少年安全問題感到擔憂之後,此次聽證會標誌著Meta承擔責任的關鍵時刻。 在扎克伯格抵達之前,近十位家長聚集在法院外,手拉手。 此案與另外兩起案件一起被選為標杆性審判,這意味著其結果可能會影響數千起針對社交媒體公司的類似訴訟的走向。 如果原告勝訴,可能會開創先例,使科技公司即使多年來一直成功援引《通信規範法》第230條的內容責任豁免條款(該聯邦法律在很大程度上保護在線平台免於因用戶發布的內容而引發的訴訟),也需為有害的設計決策承擔責任。駁回這一抗辯可能會在全國範圍內引發類似的訴訟,使Meta和其它科技公司面臨數十億美元的潛在賠償,並迫使它們重新設計平台。 法庭訴訟之前的進展 「凱莉」現年20歲,在童年時期沉迷社交媒體,並損害了她的心理健康。她與她的母親共同提起的這項訴訟,是1500多起類似訴訟中首例開庭審理的案件。 她的律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)稱,凱莉6歲開始使用YouTube,9歲開始使用Instagram。他說,凱莉有時一天使用Instagram「好幾個小時」,甚至有一次一天超過16個小時,儘管她的母親試圖阻止她使用。 凱莉稱,這款應用的成癮功能導致她出現焦慮、身體畸形恐懼症和自殺念頭,並且她在Instagram上遭受了網絡欺凌和性勒索。 Meta的一位發言人表示,強烈反對訴訟中的指控,並表示「相信證據將證明我們長期以來對支持年輕人的承諾」。 Meta的一位律師保羅‧施密特(Paul Schmidt)在開庭陳述中表示,該公司並不否認凱莉曾經歷過心理健康問題,但否認Instagram在這些問題中扮演了重要角色。

Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos Among Names Mentioned to Buy Team

Getty The Seattle Seahawks are for sale, and some followers have thoughts on the idea of Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos buying the team. It’s official: On Wednesday, February 18, the Seattle Seahawks announced that the team has started the process of being sold. The news comes less than two weeks after the team secured

扎克伯格即將出庭作證 庭審或具里程碑意義 | Meta | 上癮

【大紀元2026年02月18日訊】(大紀元記者秋生綜合報導)Meta執行長馬克‧扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg)預計將於週三(2月18日)在洛杉磯高等法院出庭作證,接受控方律師的咨詢。Meta被指控為了牟利故意讓兒童上癮,給兒童及其家庭造成傷害。 控方是一位化名KGM的女性,現年20歲。她聲稱自己在很小的時候對社群媒體上癮,導致患上憂鬱症,產生自殺念頭。 她已經與TikTok和Snap達成和解,Meta Platforms和Google旗下的YouTube是此案的剩餘兩家被告。 扎克伯格曾在國會作證,回答了國會對Meta平台可能給青少年帶來安全問題的質疑,並向那些因社群媒體而遭遇不幸的家庭道歉。家長們認為是社群媒體給他們的家庭造成了悲劇。 此次庭審將是扎克伯格首次在陪審團面前回答類似的問題。預計受害兒童的父母屆時將再次坐在為數不多的公眾席位上旁聽。 雙方辯論 Meta公司發言人表示,該公司強烈反對訴訟中的指控,並稱,「相信證據將表明我們長期以來恪守對年輕人的承諾。」 Meta公司的律師之一保羅‧施密特(Paul Schmidt)曾在開庭陳述中說,該公司不否認​​KGM遭受了心理健康問題困擾,但否認Instagram在這些困擾中扮演了重要角色。 他指出,醫療記錄顯示KGM的家庭生活原本就動盪不安。他和代表YouTube的律師一致認為KGM將他們的平台作為一種應對機制或逃避心理健康問題的途徑。 一週前,Meta旗下Instagram的負責人亞當‧莫塞里(Adam Mosseri)也在法庭上作證,表示不同意社群媒體平台能使人成癮的說法,並堅稱Instagram一直致力於保護使用該服務的年輕人。 他分析說,「從長遠來看,做出那些對我們有利但對人們福祉有害的決定,對公司本身是不利的。」 原告律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)曾重點質詢莫塞里Instagram上那些改變用戶外貌的美顏濾鏡,預計他會就此話題再次質詢扎克伯格。預計他還將就Instagram演算法、Meta資訊流的無限循環以及原告方認為旨在讓用戶沉迷的其它功能等問題進行質詢。 後果 這場針對社群媒體的審判可謂史無前例,頗具里程碑意義。該案與另外兩起案件的審判被普遍視為風向標,其結果可能會影響家長、學區和各州檢察長在聯邦法院提起的2,300多起相關訴訟的走向。 如果原告勝訴,可能會在全國引發類似的訴訟,使Meta和其它科技公司面臨數十億美元的賠償,並迫使它們重新設計其平台。 原告勝訴還可能開創先例,即使科技公司多年來成功援引《通訊規範法》第230條的內容責任豁免條款,也必須為有害的設計決策承擔責任。第230條是一項聯邦法律,它在很大程度上保護網絡平台免於因用戶發布的內容而引發的訴訟。 (本文參考了美聯社、福克斯商業新聞的報導) 責任編輯:任子君#

Why Trump’s Comment on Discussing Taiwan Arms Sales with China Has Raised Concerns

U.S. President Donald Trump’s comment that he is discussing potential arms sales to Taiwan with Chinese President Xi Jinping is raising concerns in Taipei as the island democracy relies on U.S. backing in the face of China ’s territorial claims. On Monday, Trump told journalists he is discussing the potential sales with the Chinese leader,

‘Difficult’ peace talks spotlight Putin’s chief negotiator and Ukraine antagonist

Russia and Ukraine don’t agree on much, but both sides left the latest round of U.S.-led peace talks Wednesday describing the negotiations as “difficult.” Moscow — and increasingly President Donald Trump — have blamed Ukraine for the absence of a deal, while Kyiv argues it is instead the Kremlin that is stalling. The future of

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x