Trump orders opening of migrant detention center at Guantánamo Bay | Trump administration

Donald Trump has signed an executive order to prepare a huge detention facility at Guantánamo Bay that he said could be used to hold up to 30,000 immigrants deported from the US.

Trump signaled earlier on Wednesday that he intended to issue an order instructing the Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security to open a center in order to “detain the worst criminal illegal aliens threatening the American people”.

“Some of them are so bad, we don’t even trust the countries [of origin] to hold them because we don’t want them coming back,” he said. “So we’re going to send them out to Guantánamo. This will double our capacity immediately.”

The US naval base outpost in Guantánamo Bay, in south-eastern Cuba, already has a facility used to house migrants picked up at sea, which is separate from the high-security prison for foreign terrorism suspects established in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks by Al-Qaida on the US.

The secretive immigrant detention facility does not appear in public government reports, and details have only recently surfaced, including about alarming conditions. As of February 2024, four people were being held at the facility, the New York Times reported, citing the department of homeland security.

Trump made the initial announcement as he signed the Laken Riley Act, which mandates the detention of undocumented immigrants charged with theft-related crimes. The act is named after a 22-year-old nursing student from Georgia who was murdered in 2023 by an undocumented immigrant from Venezuela.

The executive order about Guantanamo itself came a little later on Wednesday afternoon, saying from Trump: “I hereby direct the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of Homeland Security to take all appropriate actions to expand the Migrant Operations Center at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay to full capacity to provide additional detention space for high-priority criminal aliens unlawfully present in the United States, and to address attendant immigration enforcement needs identified by the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security.”

It added: “This memorandum is issued in order to halt the border invasion, dismantle criminal cartels, and restore national sovereignty.”

Trump’s order on Wednesday marks the latest effort by the new administration to fulfill the president’s promised threat to remove millions of people from the country.

Since taking office on 20 January, Trump has signed a slew of executive orders aimed at cracking down on immigration, including declaring a “national emergency” paving the way to send US troops to the southern border, suspending the nation’s refugee resettlement program, and revoking temporary protected status for people fleeing humanitarian crises.

According to a Pentagon update on 6 January, 15 prisoners remain at Guantánamo, the smallest number of detainees in the facility’s 22-year history. During final weeks in office, Joe Biden accelerated the transfer of Guantánamo inmates to third countries.

Cuba responded to Trump’s announcement that he plans to open a detention center for migrants at Guantánamo Bay, with the foreign minister claiming the idea “shows contempt towards the human condition and international law”.

Writing on X, the US social media platform owned by Trump backer Elon Musk, Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla slammed “the US government’s decision to imprison migrants at the Guantánamo Naval Base, in an enclave where it created torture centers and indefinite detention”.

Also writing on X, Cuba’s president, Miguel Díaz-Canel, called the plan “an act of brutality”.

Amnesty International said Guantánamo has been a “site of torture, indefinite detention without charge or trial and other unlawful practices”, adding that Trump should be using his authority to close the prison and not repurposing it for offshore immigration detention.

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Why is China suddenly fascinated by Elon Musk’s son’s ‘Tiger Bag’?

(Image Credits: Instagram) What looked like a harmless children’s accessory in a room filled with diplomats and billionaires turned into one of China’s most unexpected viral online conversations. People are suddenly obsessing over an adorable ‘tiger bag’ spotted on Elon Musk’s son, X Æ A-Xii, also known as Lil X online.Chinese platforms quickly started to

Smithsonian Presidents Exhibit Reopens With Low-Key Trump Impeachment Mention

For the past year, the Smithsonian Institution has found itself in the awkward position of telling the nation’s story while being supported in part by a government that wants to narrow how that story is told. In December, the White House threatened to revoke funding to the institution if it did not hand over a

Trump’s China visit left chip export issue unresolved

This report is from this week’s The Tech Download newsletter. Like what you see? You can subscribe here. One look at the roster of U.S. execs that cozied up to U.S. President Donald Trump on the 20+ hours flight from Alaska to China on Wednesday and you get a sense of the American delegation’s key focus

We chose Amazon Leo and not Spacex because we want to work with a company that …

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk recently alleged Delta Airlines of rejecting its space internet service Starlink over Amazon’s Leo. In a post on X (formerly Twitter), the world’s richest man alleged that the real issue was the airline requiring passengers to access the in-flight Wi-Fi using the Delta Sync portal, which forces customers to log in

Readout of President Trump’s Meeting With Chinese President Xi Jinping

Readout of President Trump’s Meeting With Chinese President Xi Jinping – U.S. Embassy & Consulates in China Skip to main content An official website of the United States government Here’s how you know  Official websites use .gov A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States. Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A

Warren Buffett, Stephen Curry lunch auction fetches $9 million for charity

May 14 (Reuters) – A bidder agreed to pay $9,000,100 at auction to dine with billionaire investor Warren Buffett and basketball superstar Stephen Curry in a charity fundraiser. The winning bid came in a weeklong auction on eBay that ended on Thursday, according to eBay’s website. The winner’s identity could not immediately be determined. Buffett,

How Should Southeast Asia Respond to Carney’s Davos Clarion Call?

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney posited that the world order was not experiencing a “transition” but rather a “rupture” from the global system established in the aftermath of the Second World War. For Southeast Asia, and its primary institutional forum – ASEAN – this means recognising that some of its most cherished principles might no

Trump set to meet with China’s Xi for second day of Beijing summit

Trump said tonight that he brought top business leaders who traveled with him to China into his meeting with Xi and discussed how to increase trade between the U.S. and China. “I suggested that before we start the meeting, I’d like to introduce them to you, and they were surprised, because it wasn’t, you know,

While Donald Trump Adventures in China, D.C. Entertains Itself

On the National Mall, where Trump’s new tinge of paint made its way up the basin of the Reflecting Pool, three video-game consoles had been installed with an interactive game called Operation Epic Furious: Strait to Hell. It allowed players to simulate the Iran war. A few National Guard members took turns trying out the

Taking a Good, Long Look Into Elon Musk and “Muskism”

Interview by Doug Henwood Elon Musk needs no introduction. He is one of the leading capitalists of our time. Unlike many in tech, he gets down and dirty with the physical world (or rather, his employees do), building cars and rockets, digging tunnels, even implanting chips in people’s brains. He is also a master of

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x