Secret Service decries rightwing blame on female agents over Trump shooting | Donald Trump Pennsylvania rally shooting

The US Secret Service decried as an “insult” rightwing attacks on the performance of female agents during the failed assassination attempt against Donald Trump, and claims the presence of such agents and a woman as agency director are the result of diversity policies.

“It is an insult to the women of our agency to imply that they are unqualified based on gender,” Anthony Guglielmi, the Secret Service communications chief, told NBC News.

“Such baseless assertions undermine the professionalism, dedication and expertise of our workforce.”

At a Trump rally in Butler county, Pennsylvania, last Saturday, the former president and Republican presidential nominee sustained a wound to his right ear when a gunman opened fire from a rooftop.

One rallygoer was killed and two critically injured.

Amid growing reports of serious security failings, the Secret Service director, Kimberly Cheatle, has come under intense pressure. Subject to calls to resign, even confronted by Republican senators at the GOP convention in Milwaukee, she was served a subpoena for testimony in Congress next week.

The second woman to lead the agency, Cheatle faces rightwing claims she only secured the role thanks to policies to improve diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) which she has previously backed.

Her role is a tough one. In 2014, Julia Pierson, the first woman to lead the Secret Service, resigned over high-profile security lapses.

Since the failed Trump assassination, rightwingers have also attacked women agents in the field.

One social media post, by a user described as a “MAGA2024 Ex-con deplorable” and viewed 10m times, shows a male officer carrying a large gun next to a woman agent in action at the Trump rally.

Its caption says: “Secret service agents: Before DEI vs After DEI.”

Elected Republicans, practiced in blaming DEI for supposed military weakness and even the collapse of a bridge in Baltimore harbour, have made similar charges.

Cory Mills, a Florida congressman, told Fox News: “Look, I’m not sure about who the individuals are on the individual detail, Secret Service, but I can tell you under this Biden administration, the one thing I’ve seen is massive DEI hires.

“And I can tell you when you primarily, when you primarily go after D-E-I, you end up with D-I-E.”

skip past newsletter promotion

Tim Burchett, of Tennessee, went after Cheatle directly, posting: “I can’t imagine that a DEI hire from Pepsi would be a bad choice as the head of the Secret Service. #sarcasm.”

Cheatle, a former agent, worked for Pepsi before being appointed to lead the Secret Service in 2022.

The Secret Service was formed in 1865. The first woman agent was appointed in 1970. The agency now says women make up 24% of its workforce.

Most agents at the Trump rally in Pennsylvania were men. When Trump was fired on, women agents were among those who protected him with their bodies.

In his statement to NBC, Guglielmi said: “We stand united against any attempt to discredit our personnel and their invaluable contributions to our mission and are appalled by the disparaging and disgusting comments against any of our personnel.

“As an elite law enforcement agency, all of our agents and officers are highly trained and fully capable of performing our missions.”

Kenneth Valentine, a former agent and supervisor, told the same network: “There are some unbelievable female agents. They are very welcome, they are needed, and I can’t imagine my tenure in the Secret Service without that kind of diversity.”

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Elon Musk responds to Music City Loop progress with Nashville airport

Updated Feb. 19, 2026, 11:30 a.m. CT The Metro Nashville Airport Authority unanimously approved a $34 million, 40-year deal with The Boring Company on Feb. 18, marking a major step toward a tunnel system to connect Nashville International Airport with downtown. Hours after the board meeting concluded, The Boring Co. and its founder Elon Musk

Gov. Wes Moore was snubbed by Trump for annual governors’ dinner

Updated Feb. 19, 2026, 10:08 a.m. ET On the Thursday, February 19, 2026, episode of The Excerpt podcast: As a leading figure in the Democratic Party, how does Maryland Governor Wes Moore think his party can prove to voters that they’ve figured out a way forward heading into this year’s midterm elections? Gov. Wes Moore joins

Bernie Sanders Slams Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg & More Over Taxes

Bernie Sanders, the senior United States senator from Vermont, accused billionaires like Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, and Sergey Brin of spending millions to kill a ballot measure instead of “paying their fair share.” This comes amidst California’s brewing fight over a proposed wealth tax. The senator posted a detailed tweet singling out the billionaires and

Canadians Are Still Unhappy With Trump and Hesitant About US Travels

Canadian travellers are still unhappy with President Donald Trump, and that’s affecting the 2026 outlook of visitors to the US from Canada. In 2025, there was a noticeable travel chill from the US’s northern neighbor, following President Donald Trump’s quips about the “51st state” and the levying of hefty tariffs. A January survey of more than 1,000

Russia Putin says U.S. oil blockade on Cuba is unacceptable

Russian President Vladimir Putin greets Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla during their meeting at the Senate Palace of the Kremlin in Moscow on February 18, 2026. Pavel Bednyakov | Afp | Getty Images Russian President Vladimir Putin has sharply criticized the Trump administration’s fuel blockade on Cuba, saying Moscow considers the latest restrictions unacceptable.

He drew a line with Trump. Now Oklahoma’s governor is drawing the president‘s ire

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt arrived in Washington this week with invitations to two White House meetings from an angry President Donald Trump. Trump and Stitt, chair of the National Governors Association, were at odds over whether all the nation’s governors should be invited to the White House for what’s typically a bipartisan annual event. Trump’s

OpenAI Has a Hollywood Problem. They Just Hired a Guy to Fix It.

A “detriment” to human creativity, said Vince Gilligan, creator of “Breaking Bad” and “Pluribus” about AI. “Horrifying,” said James Cameron about the possibility of AI actors. “I’d rather die,” said Guillermo del Toro. “Incredibly destructive,” said Cate Blanchett. It’s not hard to see why OpenAI recognizes it has a bit of an image problem among

Elon Musk DID Tweet ‘I Agree With The Teachings Of Jesus’

Does a legitimate screenshot show that Elon Musk in February of 2026 wrote “I agree with the teachings of Jesus,” in an X post? Yes, that’s true: The X owner did post that message on his verified account. The screenshot does not alter his post. The claim appeared in a February 17, 2026, post on

Bill Gates cancels speech at AI summit, TCS-OpenAI collaboration, IMF on China’s economic policies, FOMC minutes and more

In today’s newsletter, we take a look at Bill Gates’ cancellation of his speech at the AI summit, TCS’s new collaboration with OpenAI, the IMF’s warning on China’s economic policies, details from the FOMC minutes, Nvidia’s recent gains, and more. Bill Gates cancels keynote address at AI Impact Summit amid Epstein files controversy Microsoft founder

Analysis: Trump’s rationale is still opaque as he slides closer to war with Iran

The United States may be on the cusp of launching military action that would mark the most decisive moment in its near half-century showdown with Iran. Yet there’s little public debate about what could be a weekslong assault with consequences that are impossible to predict. There’s no full-court press from top national security officials. President

Trump signs order to promote the production of weedkiller hated by MAHA

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on Feb. 18, 2026. Saul Loeb | AFP | Getty Images President Donald Trump on Wednesday issued an executive order invoking the Defense Production Act to promote the domestic production of phosphorus and

Celebrities confirmed or rumored to attend Super Bowl in United States

As Super Bowl LX arrives on Feb. 8, attention is split between the championship and the constellation of celebrities who turn the event into a cultural moment. Who’s in the crowd and who’s performing can shape headlines and social feeds just as much as the game itself. The halftime show is the biggest draw for

扎克伯格出席青少年社媒成癮案法庭聽證 | Meta | Instagram | 訴訟

【大紀元2026年02月19日訊】(大紀元記者林燕綜合報導)週三(2月18日),美國商務部,Meta首席執行官馬克‧扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg),就青少年社交媒體成癮案在洛杉磯高等法院出庭作證。 當地時間上午8:30左右,扎克伯格從洛杉磯高等法院正門進入,穿過一群排隊等候的家長、媒體記者和陪審員。他沒有回答關於「對那些聲稱孩子因社交媒體而受到傷害的家長說些什麼」的問題。 這是一起具有里程碑意義的案件,該案涉及社交媒體平台對兒童造成傷害的指控。這也是科技公司首次在陪審團面前回應有關青少年安全的指控。 這起訴訟案名為「K.G.M.訴Meta Platforms, Inc.等」,由一位20歲的加州女性提起,其律師稱她為「凱莉」(Kaley)。原告稱,Meta和其它社交媒體公司設計平台以吸引青少年用戶,加劇了她的抑鬱和自殺念頭,並尋求追究這些公司的責任。 Meta旗下的Instagram和谷歌旗下的YouTube否認了這些指控,並援引多年來不斷完善的安全功能和家長控制作為辯護理由。它們是此案的剩餘兩家被告,其餘兩名被告TikTok和Snap已與當事人達成和解。 庭審要點:質疑Instagram的用戶年齡政策 週三,扎克伯格被追問13歲以下兒童是否可以訪問Instagram。該應用的技術要求用戶必須年滿13歲才能註冊,而扎克伯格表示,年齡更小的兒童「不允許使用Instagram」。 但原告律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)出示了一份Instagram在2015年的內部文件,該文件估計有超過400萬Instagram用戶未滿13歲,這一人數占「美國10至12歲兒童總數的30%」。拉尼爾表示,現年20歲的原告凱莉從9歲就開始使用Instagram。 拉尼爾指出,直到2019年12月,Instagram才開始要求新用戶在註冊時輸入出生日期;此前,它只要求用戶確認自己已年滿13歲。2021年8月,Instagram開始要求之前未提供出生日期的現有用戶提供出生日期,這是為保障青少年用戶安全而採取的措施之一。 這意味著凱莉加入該平台時根本沒有被詢問年齡。 扎克伯格表示,在2019年,也就是出生日期規則實施之前,他們「對隱私問題有些擔憂」,但他認為最終他們找到了正確的政策。 這位Facebook創始人表示,公司會移除所有被發現的未成年用戶,並在註冊過程中加入有關年齡使用的條款。 「你指望一個9歲的孩子能讀懂所有的小字條款嗎?」原告律師質問道,「這就是你宣誓作證說13歲以下兒童不能註冊的依據嗎?」 庭審要點:增加青少年在平台時長並非公司目標 扎克伯格回應了有關公司報告稱青少年用戶在其平台上的留存率更高的文件的問題。他表示,律師們「曲解」了他的話,並稱Meta並非總是會發布正在開發中的產品,例如面向13歲以下用戶的Instagram應用。 扎克伯格反駁了將增加用戶在Instagram上使用時間作為公司目標的說法。 扎克伯格是在回應一封2015年的電子郵件。在那封郵件中,扎克伯格提到了公司的一項三年計劃,其中包括「Instagram 的時間——增加10%」,並強調提高用戶參與度指標是當務之急。 他解釋說,雖然這封郵件中可能出現了「公司目標」這個詞,但這些言論可能只是一種願景,並堅稱Meta並沒有這樣的目標。 原告律師隨後出示了Instagram首席執行官亞當·莫塞裡(Adam Mosseri)提供的證據,其中包括公司設定的目標:到2023年將用戶在平台上的每日活躍時間提升至40分鐘,到2026年提升至46分鐘。 當拉尼爾質疑扎克伯格和Meta是否設定了最大化用戶在社媒上花費時間的目標時,雙方的爭論變得有些激烈。 扎克伯格表示,公司「早期」確實設定過以用戶使用時間為目標的指標,但後來公司將重點轉向了「實用性和價值」。他強調,Meta正在構建各種服務,以幫助人們建立聯繫。 扎克伯格回應說:「我們過去會給團隊設定目標……後來我們改變了做法,因為我認為這不是管理公司的最佳方式。」他辯稱,拉尼爾誤解了他十年前的話。 庭審要點:為何允許美顏濾鏡功能 扎克伯格表示,公司就Instagram美顏濾鏡的使用諮詢了各利益相關方,但他並未透露具體名單。 原告律師說,根據之前的消息,他解除禁令的原因是認為該禁令「帶有家長作風」。 「這聽起來像是我會說的話,也是我的感受,」扎克伯格回答道,「感覺有點專橫跋扈。」 扎克伯格被追問,既然公司收到專家意見,認為美顏濾鏡會對用戶產生負面影響,尤其是對年輕女孩,那麼為何最終還是允許使用該功能。 原告律師特別提及芝加哥大學的一項研究。該研究由18位專家共同完成,他們指出美顏濾鏡功能會對少女造成傷害。 扎克伯格表示,他看到了這些反饋,並與團隊進行了討論,最終決定該問題應歸屬於言論自由範疇。 法官警告不許用智能眼鏡偷拍錄像 週三,在扎克伯格作證期間,主管法官在法庭上直接點名批評了Meta的智能眼鏡。法官表示,任何在法庭上使用該產品的錄音功能都將構成藐視法庭罪。 「如果你使用了該產品,你必須刪除錄音,否則你將被判藐視法庭罪,」法官卡羅琳·庫爾(Carolyn Kuhl )說。「這會非常嚴重。」 CNBC指出,週三陪同扎克伯格進入法庭的工作人員中有人被拍到佩戴雷朋Meta眼鏡。 本案的重要意義 週三的法庭審判標誌著扎克伯格將首次在陪審團面前回答類似的問題。同樣,有痛失愛子的父母坐在為數不多的公眾席位上旁聽。 一些因孩子在社交媒體受到傷害甚至死亡的家長從全國各地趕來旁聽。他們表示,在多年來人們對Facebook和Instagram等平台上的青少年安全問題感到擔憂之後,此次聽證會標誌著Meta承擔責任的關鍵時刻。 在扎克伯格抵達之前,近十位家長聚集在法院外,手拉手。 此案與另外兩起案件一起被選為標杆性審判,這意味著其結果可能會影響數千起針對社交媒體公司的類似訴訟的走向。 如果原告勝訴,可能會開創先例,使科技公司即使多年來一直成功援引《通信規範法》第230條的內容責任豁免條款(該聯邦法律在很大程度上保護在線平台免於因用戶發布的內容而引發的訴訟),也需為有害的設計決策承擔責任。駁回這一抗辯可能會在全國範圍內引發類似的訴訟,使Meta和其它科技公司面臨數十億美元的潛在賠償,並迫使它們重新設計平台。 法庭訴訟之前的進展 「凱莉」現年20歲,在童年時期沉迷社交媒體,並損害了她的心理健康。她與她的母親共同提起的這項訴訟,是1500多起類似訴訟中首例開庭審理的案件。 她的律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)稱,凱莉6歲開始使用YouTube,9歲開始使用Instagram。他說,凱莉有時一天使用Instagram「好幾個小時」,甚至有一次一天超過16個小時,儘管她的母親試圖阻止她使用。 凱莉稱,這款應用的成癮功能導致她出現焦慮、身體畸形恐懼症和自殺念頭,並且她在Instagram上遭受了網絡欺凌和性勒索。 Meta的一位發言人表示,強烈反對訴訟中的指控,並表示「相信證據將證明我們長期以來對支持年輕人的承諾」。 Meta的一位律師保羅‧施密特(Paul Schmidt)在開庭陳述中表示,該公司並不否認凱莉曾經歷過心理健康問題,但否認Instagram在這些問題中扮演了重要角色。

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x