As Myanmar earthquake deaths top 3,000, BBC goes undercover to reveal devastation near epicenter in Mandalay

The death official death toll from the massive earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago rose Thursday to 3,085 as search and rescue teams found more bodies, the internationally isolated nation’s military-led government said, and humanitarian aid groups scrambled to provide survivors medical care and shelter. In a short statement, the military said another 4,715 people have been injured and 341 are missing.

The epicenter of Friday’s 7.7 magnitude earthquake was near Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city. It brought down thousands of buildings, buckled roads and destroyed bridges in multiple regions. Local media reports of casualties have been much higher than the official figures, and with telecommunications widely out and many places difficult to reach, it’s thought the numbers could rise sharply as more details come in. 

The military junta that seized power of Myanmar in 2021 has maintained strict control over its borders since the disaster, refusing to let foreign journalists in and keeping up operations against rebel forces in the divided nation until Wednesday, when it declared a temporary ceasefire in the brutal civil war.

CBS News’ partner network BBC News, however, managed to sneak a team into Myanmar, with correspondent Yogita Limaye visiting the devastated city of Mandalay to witness the destruction first-hand before leaving to file her report from neighboring Thailand on Wednesday evening. 

TOPSHOT-MYANMAR-THAILAND-EARTHQUAKE

People ride past the rubble of a damaged Buddhist pagoda in Mandalay, Myanmar, April 3, 2025, following the March 28 earthquake.

SAI AUNG MAIN/AFP/Getty


Without formal access to recovery sites or government officials, the BBC team’s ability to assess official rescue and recovery efforts was limited, but Limaye’s report painted a picture of a crisis exacerbated by an extremely limited influx of foreign assistance — and a major city desperately in need of help.

The World Health Organization said that according to its initial assessment, four hospitals and one health center in Myanmar had been completely destroyed while another 32 hospitals and 18 health centers had been partially damaged.

“With infrastructure compromised and patient numbers surging, access to health care has become nearly impossible in many of the worst-hit areas,” the U.N. said. “Thousands of people are in urgent need of trauma care, surgical interventions and treatment for disease outbreaks.”

A mobile hospital from India and a joint Russian-Belarusian hospital also were now operating in Mandalay, but the BBC report showed much of the little assistance reaching survivors in Mandalay was being provided by small local groups, or ad hoc by survivors. Limaye found no evidence of a major mobilization of Myanmar’s military forces to help in search and rescue efforts, and it was unclear Thursday whether the newly announced ceasefire — which the junta said would last only until April 22 — might free up some troops to join that work.

Aftermath of a strong earthquake, in Mandalay

Novice monks are seen inside a shelter in a makeshift tent camp following a strong earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, April 3, 2025.

Stringer/REUTERS


Limaye and her team covertly visited the main hospital in Mandalay, where hundreds of quake victims were lined up in rows of beds in the scorching heat outside, as the facility itself was too badly damaged by the quake to continue using. There was a clear lack of medics on hand to treat the wounded, some of whom had only family members to console them as they awaited treatment for serious injuries.

The video surreptitiously recorded by the BBC as Limaye’s team drove through central Mandalay showed most buildings seriously damaged and many completely toppled. The work to recover victims’ remains from vast piles of twisted metal and concrete was scattered, and one woman told Limaye she had been waiting several days for anyone to come and help find her son, a construction worker believed to be among five trapped in a large building that was left at almost a 45-degree angle, with its lower floors crushed by the quake.

Thousands of people have been left homeless, and the BBC’s video showed many others choosing to camp outside their homes in Mandalay, clearly scared that ongoing aftershocks could still topple their damaged homes.

Some search and rescue teams have been allowed in by the junta, including from allies China and India, and residents in Mandalay gave slices of watermelon to Chinese volunteers taking a break from the heat on Thursday. More than 1,550 international rescuers were operating alongside locals Thursday, according to a statement from the military, which said rescue supplies and equipment had been sent by a total of 17 countries.

A nation at war, plunged into disaster

Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what quickly turned into a civil war. The military junta’s control over the country is patchy, and there were reports that it continued bombarding some rebel held areas — including areas impacted by the quake — even after declaring the ceasefire.

The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis, with more than 3 million people displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.

It was only as the international community voiced concern that ongoing fighting could hamper humanitarian aid efforts that the military declared the temporary ceasefire on Wednesday. The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule.

The military said it would still take “necessary” measures against those groups if they tried to use the ceasefire to regroup, train or launch attacks. Already on Thursday there were reports from local media in Kachin state in the north of Myanmar that military attacks continued in several areas, but they could not be independently confirmed.

Prior to the earthquake the military was battling the Kachin Independence Army militia group. The KIA on Wednesday also declared a ceasefire but reserved the right to defend itself. It was unclear how the reported fighting broke out.

The earthquake shook Kachin, but there have been no reports of damage there.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Israel-Turkey tensions escalate over Syria

Israel-Turkey tensions escalate over Syria

Lucy Williamson BBC Middle East correspondent EPA Israel has repeatedly carried out air strikes on Syrian bases since the fall of Assad A growing confrontation between Israel and Turkey over influence in Syria is posing a serious challenge for Syria’s fragile new government. On Wednesday night, Israel bombed several military targets in Syria, including two

What is live shopping and will it take off?

What is live shopping and will it take off?

David Silverberg Technology Reporter Kelsey Krakora Kelsey Krakora made a career shift into live shopping After graduating college Kelsey Krakora worked full time in a steakhouse, bartending and serving meals. She had dabbled with selling clothes online, but only part-time. But in 2021 that all changed for Cleveland-based Ms Krakora. She switched to selling clothes

Africa's week in pictures: 28 March

Africa’s week in pictures: 28 March

A selection of the week’s best photos from across the African continent and beyond: CEM OZDEL / GETTY IMAGES In Senegal’s capital city Dakar, Muslims belonging to the Layene Sufi order make their way to evening prayers on Friday… CEM OZDEL / GETTY IMAGES Worshippers typically dress all in white. OLYMPIA DE MAISMONT / AFP

Cheers and boos as SK president's impeachment upheld by court

Cheers and boos as SK president’s impeachment upheld by court

Jean Mackenzie Seoul correspondent Watch: South Korean court removes President Yoon from office South Korea’s president has been removed from office after the Constitutional Court voted unanimously to uphold his impeachment. Yoon Suk Yeol was suspended from duty in December after being impeached by parliament, following his failed attempt to impose martial law. The ruling

Myanmar Earthquake aftermath

Earthquake rescue efforts in Myanmar turn to growing crisis

Search teams pulled more bodies from the ruins of buildings on Friday, a week after a massive earthquake rocked Myanmar killing more than 3,100 people, as the focus turns toward the urgent humanitarian needs in a country that was already devastated by civil war. United Nations humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher, who is also the emergency

Zha Jianying, a famous Chinese writer, poses for a photo at her home in Beijing.

A ‘beacon’ or a ‘roulette’? Chinese America watchers see opportunities and pitfalls

BEIJING — From slapping tariffs on America’s friends and foes alike, to the dismantling of foreign aid and retreat from international institutions, the Trump administration’s actions have been criticized for creating a global leadership vacuum that will be filled by U.S rivals, especially China. But speaking to some of China’s America watchers, views of any

Canada's Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks about tariffs at a press conference on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on Thursday. (REUTERS)

Carney slams Trump tariffs, hits back with auto levies | World News

Toronto: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has said that reciprocal tariffs imposed by the Administration of US President Donald Trump had made the global economy “fundamentally different”, even as he announced retaliatory levies on automobiles imported from America. Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks about tariffs at a press conference on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa,

EU talks tough on Trump tariffs in hope of U-turn

EU talks tough on Trump tariffs in hope of U-turn

Getty Images Donald Trump has upended global trade with his tariffs announcement Fundamentally wrong, was how Germany’s outgoing chancellor, Olaf Scholz, described the new Trump tariffs. A unilateral attack – that was the view of Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez. French President Emmanuel Macron called them brutal, unfounded and certain to have a “massive impact”

Hezbollah at crossroads after blows from war weaken group

Hezbollah at crossroads after blows from war weaken group

Hugo Bachega Reporting fromSouthern Lebanon Reuters Kfar Kila is one of the border towns in Lebanon that were almost completely destroyed by the Israeli military during last year’s war Last year, on 17 September, at around 15:30, a pager which a nurse called Adam was given at the start of his shift at a hospital

<span>Screenshot of the false Facebook post, captured on March 27, 2025</span>

Fabricated news article frames Duterte’s arrest as obstacle to Russia-Ukraine ceasefire

After Rodrigo Duterte was brought to face a crimes against humanity charge at the International Criminal Court (ICC), a fabricated news article claiming Russia was “refusing peace talks” with Ukraine because of the former Philippine president’s detention circulated on Facebook. Its supposed author told AFP she did not write the article and the purported news report —

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., April 2, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo(REUTERS)

Even Americans don’t want Trump’s barmy tariffs, writes Douglas Irwin | World News

ON “LIBERATION DAY” President Donald Trump upended more than half a century of American trade policy by imposing sweeping tariffs on imports. These are off-the-charts in their historic significance. From just 2.3% in 2024, the average American tariff on imports is now expected to rise immediately to about 30%—where it was in the late 1800s.

reciprocal trade tariff

Wondering how Trump’s new tariffs were calculated? It will shock you

Do you think you’re bad at maths? Worry no more. A child could do the calculation the Trump administration used to generate the huge tariff rates it’s applying to its trading partners. Try it at home with your family. Get your calculator When Donald Trump announced his tariff plan on Thursday, he produced some charts

Trump Says US Has 'Great Power to Negotiate' With China on TikTok Sale

Trump Says US Has ‘Great Power to Negotiate’ With China on TikTok Sale

President Donald Trump is once again waving a tariff reduction carrot at China to get it to cave on a TikTok deal. Trump spoke to reporters on Air Force One on Thursday, a day after imposing a baseline 10% tariff on imports from all countries and increasing China’s tariff rate to 54%. He said he

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x