Analysis: Trump’s rationale is still opaque as he slides closer to war with Iran

The United States may be on the cusp of launching military action that would mark the most decisive moment in its near half-century showdown with Iran.

Yet there’s little public debate about what could be a weekslong assault with consequences that are impossible to predict.

There’s no full-court press from top national security officials. President Donald Trump is making hardly any effort to share the rationale for the potential or why military personnel might be asked to risk their lives. And the White House is giving no public sign that it knows what may unfold in Iran if its clerical regime is toppled, an eventuality that could cause enormous reverberations in the Middle East.

The president has made no final decision either way, sources told CNN.

But every day, and following the failure of his tepid diplomacy to make breakthroughs so far, Trump is being dragged inexorably closer to a fateful decision point. The military has told the White House that it could be ready to launch an attack by the weekend, following a buildup of aerial and naval assets, CNN reported. But one source said that the president has privately argued for and against action and has polled advisers and allies on what he should do.

Given the stakes, and the potential risk to American personnel, the lack of a specific public rationale for any war with Iran seems surprising.

This narrative deficit was reflected in the White House briefing Wednesday, ironically on the eve of the first meeting of the president’s Board of Peace. Press secretary Karoline Leavitt was asked the pertinent question of why Trump might need to launch a strike on Iran’s nuclear program, which he has insisted he already totally obliterated in a round-the-world bombing raid last year.

“Well, there’s many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,” Leavitt said, offering no specifics.

Trump’s explanations extend only to repeated warnings that Iran will face the consequences if it doesn’t make a “deal” with the United States. Last week, he said regime change in Tehran might be the “best thing” that could happen.

Ordering the military into battle is the most somber duty of presidents. Their assumption of the highest office comes with an obligation to explain why force might be necessary. And fuzzy thinking could imperil the mission.

Leavitt implied that Americans should just trust the president. “He’s always thinking about what’s in the best interests of the United States of America, of our military, of the American people,” she said.

This would be a thin foundation on which to launch a major war that might end up costing billions of dollars and unknown numbers of American and Iranian lives, and that could trigger huge military and economic repercussions in the Middle East.

It could also worsen Trump’s already stark domestic unpopularity in a midterm election year.

US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio  sit in the Situation Room as they monitor the mission that took out three Iranian nuclear enrichment sites, at the White House in Washington DC, on June 21, 2025.

Trump wouldn’t like any comparison with the Iraq war that began in 2003, given its disastrous aftermath. But before that conflict, the Bush administration spent months in a PR offensive designed to convince the country of its later-debunked rationale for the war. It also managed to win congressional authorization for the invasion — at least securing a domestic legal basis for its actions.

If Trump persists in failing to level with citizens and Congress and then takes military action, he will be prolonging a trend of his second term. And he will be leaving himself politically exposed in the event that strikes go wrong.

But it also appears that Trump is emboldened by his successful ouster of Venezuelan dictator Nicolás Maduro in a spectacular operation last month that killed no US troops. His tolerance for risk may also be heightened because the US assassination of Iranian military and intelligence chief Qasem Soleimani in his first term failed to trigger the kind of regional conflagration and Iranian attacks on US allies that some experts predicted.

In recent weeks, Trump’s strategy on Iran has seemed to mirror his playbook in Venezuela, where he amassed a huge naval armada and demanded concessions. This is 21st-century diplomacy backed by aircraft carrier groups and cruise missiles.

But he risks creating a box for himself that it will be difficult to exit with credibility intact if it turns out that his repeated claims that Iran wants a “deal” are wrong.

The kind of deal that Trump can offer Iran may be unacceptable to its clerical regime, whose top priority is perpetuating itself. And a deal Tehran could offer Trump may be one he’d never accept, since it doesn’t want to talk about its ballistic missiles or regional proxy network, which he sees as red lines.

Iranian concessions on a nuclear program that is already severely disrupted in return for sanctions relief would be unacceptable to Trump. He can’t afford politically to emulate the nuclear deal agreed by the Obama administration that he trashed. And lifting sanctions could help the regime survive.

The New York Times quoted Iranian sources as saying that Iran has indicated willingness to suspend enrichment for three to five years in return for sanctions relief. But Dennis Ross, a former US Middle East peace envoy, told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday that this was a symbolic concession. “It’s pretty hard to see them enriching while Trump is still in office. And what they’re seeking is the lifting of economic sanctions, which is a way of … giving them a kind of lease on life.”

People are seen standing in front of a currency exchange office as Iranâs national currency continues to lose value in Tehran, Iran, on January 28, 2026.

The White House may not be telling Americans why it might be time to go to war with Iran. But that doesn’t mean there are not strategic rationales for doing so. In that sense, Leavitt is right.

Trump’s obsession with naming buildings after himself and erecting new ones — such as the planned White House ballroom — suggest he’s increasingly preoccupied with his legacy.

Ending the often-hot cold war with Iran that has bedeviled every American president since Jimmy Carter would secure him a true place in history. And it could put a historic capstone on an estrangement with revolutionary Iran that began with the humiliation of Americans held hostage in 1979-81, which scarred US global confidence and prestige.

Trump might never get a better opening. The regime has arguably never been weaker. Its regional proxies, like Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon — which were once an insurance policy against an outside attack — have been shredded by Israel.

Iran’s government is facing its worst-ever domestic crisis. It’s clouded by doubt over the revolutionary succession after 86-year-old Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei dies. The economy is wrecked. Desperation recently drove protesters onto the streets amid food and water shortages and grinding economic conditions. The resulting crackdown may have killed thousands. Trump could make good on his pledge to protesters that the US was “locked and loaded” to defend them by toppling the clerical regime.

While Iran may not pose an immediate deadly threat to the US, it has killed scores of Americans in terror attacks and through militias during the Iraq war. Its leaders have long threatened to wipe Israel off the map — a threat that would become even more grave with nuclear weapons. And a stable, democratic and unthreatening Iran would boost the emergence of a new Middle East, powered by the growing global influence of US allies in the Gulf.

Trump would, of course, be a hero of Iranians if he delivered them from repression.

Members of Iranian militia forces (Basij) attend an anti-Israeli march in Tehran, Iran, on January 10, 2025.

But there are many reasons why he might be smart to blink.

A serious attempt either to decapitate the Iranian regime or to devastate the military capacity of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and the Basij paramilitary militia would likely require a multi-day air campaign. This could lead to significant civilian casualties. It would raise the possibility of US combat deaths or the capture of US pilots, which could turn into a propaganda disaster.

While some critics have pointed to Trump’s vows to wage no new wars in the Middle East, an Iran conflict would likely not lead to the kind of massive land invasion that turned Iraq into a morass. But as in that war, the best day for the US might be the one when it fires its first shock-and-awe volleys.

It’s also unlikely that any strike against Iran’s clerical leaders would be as clean as the special forces mission that spirited Maduro out of Venezuela.

There is also the problem of what might come next if the revolutionary government were to fall. Failing to anticipate the day after haunted US regime change efforts in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya this century.

“My question is, after all is said and done, if this lasts for weeks, what happens next?” Colin Clarke, executive director of the Soufan Center told Isa Soares on CNN International. “Then you’re dealing with a power vacuum, then you’re dealing with the potential for insurgency. And, you know there’s a range of states and non-state actors that would look to exploit that.”

Iran, the seat of the ancient Persian civilization, is less plagued by sectarian divides than Iraq, which splintered after the US invasion. But the loss of central authority might be devastating. And the lack of a coherent umbrella leadership for protesters or organized internal opposition raises further questions about a smooth transition. Any US and Israeli joint military action would be certain to include wide-ranging attacks on IRGC facilities and forces. But sources told CNN this week that US intelligence community still believes that the most likely candidate to fill a leadership void would be the hardline guard corps. So ousting theocrats in Tehran might just lead to an equally radical anti-US replacement.

And longer and more complex military action in Iran than in Venezuela with uncertain consequences would increase political pressure on Trump at home amid multiple polls showing majorities of Americans oppose a new Middle East war. It could also test Trump’s bond with the MAGA movement, since he’s spent the last 10 years telling his base there will be no more foreign quagmires.

While officials said that forces would be positioned to strike Iran at the weekend, US action is not guaranteed. The start of the Muslim holy month Ramadan could augur a delay. So could Trump’s annual State of the Union address Tuesday. Trump prizes the unpredictable, so Iran will be on full alert.

But unless Iran capitulates to terms that Trump is still yet to fully explain to the public, more time will not ease the most fateful dilemma yet of his second term.

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Elon Musk DID Tweet ‘I Agree With The Teachings Of Jesus’

Does a legitimate screenshot show that Elon Musk in February of 2026 wrote “I agree with the teachings of Jesus,” in an X post? Yes, that’s true: The X owner did post that message on his verified account. The screenshot does not alter his post. The claim appeared in a February 17, 2026, post on

Bill Gates cancels speech at AI summit, TCS-OpenAI collaboration, IMF on China’s economic policies, FOMC minutes and more

In today’s newsletter, we take a look at Bill Gates’ cancellation of his speech at the AI summit, TCS’s new collaboration with OpenAI, the IMF’s warning on China’s economic policies, details from the FOMC minutes, Nvidia’s recent gains, and more. Bill Gates cancels keynote address at AI Impact Summit amid Epstein files controversy Microsoft founder

Trump signs order to promote the production of weedkiller hated by MAHA

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on Feb. 18, 2026. Saul Loeb | AFP | Getty Images President Donald Trump on Wednesday issued an executive order invoking the Defense Production Act to promote the domestic production of phosphorus and

Celebrities confirmed or rumored to attend Super Bowl in United States

As Super Bowl LX arrives on Feb. 8, attention is split between the championship and the constellation of celebrities who turn the event into a cultural moment. Who’s in the crowd and who’s performing can shape headlines and social feeds just as much as the game itself. The halftime show is the biggest draw for

扎克伯格出席青少年社媒成癮案法庭聽證 | Meta | Instagram | 訴訟

【大紀元2026年02月19日訊】(大紀元記者林燕綜合報導)週三(2月18日),美國商務部,Meta首席執行官馬克‧扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg),就青少年社交媒體成癮案在洛杉磯高等法院出庭作證。 當地時間上午8:30左右,扎克伯格從洛杉磯高等法院正門進入,穿過一群排隊等候的家長、媒體記者和陪審員。他沒有回答關於「對那些聲稱孩子因社交媒體而受到傷害的家長說些什麼」的問題。 這是一起具有里程碑意義的案件,該案涉及社交媒體平台對兒童造成傷害的指控。這也是科技公司首次在陪審團面前回應有關青少年安全的指控。 這起訴訟案名為「K.G.M.訴Meta Platforms, Inc.等」,由一位20歲的加州女性提起,其律師稱她為「凱莉」(Kaley)。原告稱,Meta和其它社交媒體公司設計平台以吸引青少年用戶,加劇了她的抑鬱和自殺念頭,並尋求追究這些公司的責任。 Meta旗下的Instagram和谷歌旗下的YouTube否認了這些指控,並援引多年來不斷完善的安全功能和家長控制作為辯護理由。它們是此案的剩餘兩家被告,其餘兩名被告TikTok和Snap已與當事人達成和解。 庭審要點:質疑Instagram的用戶年齡政策 週三,扎克伯格被追問13歲以下兒童是否可以訪問Instagram。該應用的技術要求用戶必須年滿13歲才能註冊,而扎克伯格表示,年齡更小的兒童「不允許使用Instagram」。 但原告律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)出示了一份Instagram在2015年的內部文件,該文件估計有超過400萬Instagram用戶未滿13歲,這一人數占「美國10至12歲兒童總數的30%」。拉尼爾表示,現年20歲的原告凱莉從9歲就開始使用Instagram。 拉尼爾指出,直到2019年12月,Instagram才開始要求新用戶在註冊時輸入出生日期;此前,它只要求用戶確認自己已年滿13歲。2021年8月,Instagram開始要求之前未提供出生日期的現有用戶提供出生日期,這是為保障青少年用戶安全而採取的措施之一。 這意味著凱莉加入該平台時根本沒有被詢問年齡。 扎克伯格表示,在2019年,也就是出生日期規則實施之前,他們「對隱私問題有些擔憂」,但他認為最終他們找到了正確的政策。 這位Facebook創始人表示,公司會移除所有被發現的未成年用戶,並在註冊過程中加入有關年齡使用的條款。 「你指望一個9歲的孩子能讀懂所有的小字條款嗎?」原告律師質問道,「這就是你宣誓作證說13歲以下兒童不能註冊的依據嗎?」 庭審要點:增加青少年在平台時長並非公司目標 扎克伯格回應了有關公司報告稱青少年用戶在其平台上的留存率更高的文件的問題。他表示,律師們「曲解」了他的話,並稱Meta並非總是會發布正在開發中的產品,例如面向13歲以下用戶的Instagram應用。 扎克伯格反駁了將增加用戶在Instagram上使用時間作為公司目標的說法。 扎克伯格是在回應一封2015年的電子郵件。在那封郵件中,扎克伯格提到了公司的一項三年計劃,其中包括「Instagram 的時間——增加10%」,並強調提高用戶參與度指標是當務之急。 他解釋說,雖然這封郵件中可能出現了「公司目標」這個詞,但這些言論可能只是一種願景,並堅稱Meta並沒有這樣的目標。 原告律師隨後出示了Instagram首席執行官亞當·莫塞裡(Adam Mosseri)提供的證據,其中包括公司設定的目標:到2023年將用戶在平台上的每日活躍時間提升至40分鐘,到2026年提升至46分鐘。 當拉尼爾質疑扎克伯格和Meta是否設定了最大化用戶在社媒上花費時間的目標時,雙方的爭論變得有些激烈。 扎克伯格表示,公司「早期」確實設定過以用戶使用時間為目標的指標,但後來公司將重點轉向了「實用性和價值」。他強調,Meta正在構建各種服務,以幫助人們建立聯繫。 扎克伯格回應說:「我們過去會給團隊設定目標……後來我們改變了做法,因為我認為這不是管理公司的最佳方式。」他辯稱,拉尼爾誤解了他十年前的話。 庭審要點:為何允許美顏濾鏡功能 扎克伯格表示,公司就Instagram美顏濾鏡的使用諮詢了各利益相關方,但他並未透露具體名單。 原告律師說,根據之前的消息,他解除禁令的原因是認為該禁令「帶有家長作風」。 「這聽起來像是我會說的話,也是我的感受,」扎克伯格回答道,「感覺有點專橫跋扈。」 扎克伯格被追問,既然公司收到專家意見,認為美顏濾鏡會對用戶產生負面影響,尤其是對年輕女孩,那麼為何最終還是允許使用該功能。 原告律師特別提及芝加哥大學的一項研究。該研究由18位專家共同完成,他們指出美顏濾鏡功能會對少女造成傷害。 扎克伯格表示,他看到了這些反饋,並與團隊進行了討論,最終決定該問題應歸屬於言論自由範疇。 法官警告不許用智能眼鏡偷拍錄像 週三,在扎克伯格作證期間,主管法官在法庭上直接點名批評了Meta的智能眼鏡。法官表示,任何在法庭上使用該產品的錄音功能都將構成藐視法庭罪。 「如果你使用了該產品,你必須刪除錄音,否則你將被判藐視法庭罪,」法官卡羅琳·庫爾(Carolyn Kuhl )說。「這會非常嚴重。」 CNBC指出,週三陪同扎克伯格進入法庭的工作人員中有人被拍到佩戴雷朋Meta眼鏡。 本案的重要意義 週三的法庭審判標誌著扎克伯格將首次在陪審團面前回答類似的問題。同樣,有痛失愛子的父母坐在為數不多的公眾席位上旁聽。 一些因孩子在社交媒體受到傷害甚至死亡的家長從全國各地趕來旁聽。他們表示,在多年來人們對Facebook和Instagram等平台上的青少年安全問題感到擔憂之後,此次聽證會標誌著Meta承擔責任的關鍵時刻。 在扎克伯格抵達之前,近十位家長聚集在法院外,手拉手。 此案與另外兩起案件一起被選為標杆性審判,這意味著其結果可能會影響數千起針對社交媒體公司的類似訴訟的走向。 如果原告勝訴,可能會開創先例,使科技公司即使多年來一直成功援引《通信規範法》第230條的內容責任豁免條款(該聯邦法律在很大程度上保護在線平台免於因用戶發布的內容而引發的訴訟),也需為有害的設計決策承擔責任。駁回這一抗辯可能會在全國範圍內引發類似的訴訟,使Meta和其它科技公司面臨數十億美元的潛在賠償,並迫使它們重新設計平台。 法庭訴訟之前的進展 「凱莉」現年20歲,在童年時期沉迷社交媒體,並損害了她的心理健康。她與她的母親共同提起的這項訴訟,是1500多起類似訴訟中首例開庭審理的案件。 她的律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)稱,凱莉6歲開始使用YouTube,9歲開始使用Instagram。他說,凱莉有時一天使用Instagram「好幾個小時」,甚至有一次一天超過16個小時,儘管她的母親試圖阻止她使用。 凱莉稱,這款應用的成癮功能導致她出現焦慮、身體畸形恐懼症和自殺念頭,並且她在Instagram上遭受了網絡欺凌和性勒索。 Meta的一位發言人表示,強烈反對訴訟中的指控,並表示「相信證據將證明我們長期以來對支持年輕人的承諾」。 Meta的一位律師保羅‧施密特(Paul Schmidt)在開庭陳述中表示,該公司並不否認凱莉曾經歷過心理健康問題,但否認Instagram在這些問題中扮演了重要角色。

Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos Among Names Mentioned to Buy Team

Getty The Seattle Seahawks are for sale, and some followers have thoughts on the idea of Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos buying the team. It’s official: On Wednesday, February 18, the Seattle Seahawks announced that the team has started the process of being sold. The news comes less than two weeks after the team secured

扎克伯格即將出庭作證 庭審或具里程碑意義 | Meta | 上癮

【大紀元2026年02月18日訊】(大紀元記者秋生綜合報導)Meta執行長馬克‧扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg)預計將於週三(2月18日)在洛杉磯高等法院出庭作證,接受控方律師的咨詢。Meta被指控為了牟利故意讓兒童上癮,給兒童及其家庭造成傷害。 控方是一位化名KGM的女性,現年20歲。她聲稱自己在很小的時候對社群媒體上癮,導致患上憂鬱症,產生自殺念頭。 她已經與TikTok和Snap達成和解,Meta Platforms和Google旗下的YouTube是此案的剩餘兩家被告。 扎克伯格曾在國會作證,回答了國會對Meta平台可能給青少年帶來安全問題的質疑,並向那些因社群媒體而遭遇不幸的家庭道歉。家長們認為是社群媒體給他們的家庭造成了悲劇。 此次庭審將是扎克伯格首次在陪審團面前回答類似的問題。預計受害兒童的父母屆時將再次坐在為數不多的公眾席位上旁聽。 雙方辯論 Meta公司發言人表示,該公司強烈反對訴訟中的指控,並稱,「相信證據將表明我們長期以來恪守對年輕人的承諾。」 Meta公司的律師之一保羅‧施密特(Paul Schmidt)曾在開庭陳述中說,該公司不否認​​KGM遭受了心理健康問題困擾,但否認Instagram在這些困擾中扮演了重要角色。 他指出,醫療記錄顯示KGM的家庭生活原本就動盪不安。他和代表YouTube的律師一致認為KGM將他們的平台作為一種應對機制或逃避心理健康問題的途徑。 一週前,Meta旗下Instagram的負責人亞當‧莫塞里(Adam Mosseri)也在法庭上作證,表示不同意社群媒體平台能使人成癮的說法,並堅稱Instagram一直致力於保護使用該服務的年輕人。 他分析說,「從長遠來看,做出那些對我們有利但對人們福祉有害的決定,對公司本身是不利的。」 原告律師馬克‧拉尼爾(Mark Lanier)曾重點質詢莫塞里Instagram上那些改變用戶外貌的美顏濾鏡,預計他會就此話題再次質詢扎克伯格。預計他還將就Instagram演算法、Meta資訊流的無限循環以及原告方認為旨在讓用戶沉迷的其它功能等問題進行質詢。 後果 這場針對社群媒體的審判可謂史無前例,頗具里程碑意義。該案與另外兩起案件的審判被普遍視為風向標,其結果可能會影響家長、學區和各州檢察長在聯邦法院提起的2,300多起相關訴訟的走向。 如果原告勝訴,可能會在全國引發類似的訴訟,使Meta和其它科技公司面臨數十億美元的賠償,並迫使它們重新設計其平台。 原告勝訴還可能開創先例,即使科技公司多年來成功援引《通訊規範法》第230條的內容責任豁免條款,也必須為有害的設計決策承擔責任。第230條是一項聯邦法律,它在很大程度上保護網絡平台免於因用戶發布的內容而引發的訴訟。 (本文參考了美聯社、福克斯商業新聞的報導) 責任編輯:任子君#

Why Trump’s Comment on Discussing Taiwan Arms Sales with China Has Raised Concerns

U.S. President Donald Trump’s comment that he is discussing potential arms sales to Taiwan with Chinese President Xi Jinping is raising concerns in Taipei as the island democracy relies on U.S. backing in the face of China ’s territorial claims. On Monday, Trump told journalists he is discussing the potential sales with the Chinese leader,

‘Difficult’ peace talks spotlight Putin’s chief negotiator and Ukraine antagonist

Russia and Ukraine don’t agree on much, but both sides left the latest round of U.S.-led peace talks Wednesday describing the negotiations as “difficult.” Moscow — and increasingly President Donald Trump — have blamed Ukraine for the absence of a deal, while Kyiv argues it is instead the Kremlin that is stalling. The future of

New paint scheme for Trump’s Air Force One includes gold, red, white and blue

Feb. 18, 2026, 9:20 a.m. ET Washington — The U.S. Air Force is rolling out a new paint scheme across its executive airlift fleet, including the next-generation Air Force One aircraft, in a color palette of red, white, dark blue, and gold, the service announced on Tuesday. The new design marks a departure from the

Bill Gates Trimming Real Estate Holdings, Lists Secondary Home For $4.8M

Benzinga and Yahoo Finance LLC may earn commission or revenue on some items through the links below. Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates has listed a four-bedroom, 2½-bathroom home in Medina, Washington, for $4.8 million, a year after he said that he would never “downsize” his extensive holdings in the Pacific Northwest, according to Realtor.com. The

Trump accounts for kids under 10 could still get funding. What to know

Feb. 18, 2026, 7:13 a.m. ET Trump Accounts are new investment accounts for children under 18, launching on July 5, 2026. Children born between 2025 and 2028 will receive $1,000 in seed money from the federal government. Parents can open an account by filing IRS Form 4547 online or with their 2025 tax return. Tax

Elon Musk confirms Tesla Cybercab pricing and consumer release date

Elon Musk has confirmed that Tesla does intend to sell a version of the Cybercab for less than $30,000 by 2027. He shared the update in a post on social media platform X.  Amidst Tesla’s announcement that the first Cybercab has been produced at Giga Texas’ production line, some members of the Tesla community immediately

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x