The Palestinian Authority’s leader assails the U.S. veto of a U.N. cease-fire resolution.


Criticism of a U.S. veto of a United Nations Security Council resolution for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza grew on Saturday, with rights groups and aid organizations warning that the move would prolong the suffering in the enclave and the leader of the Palestinian Authority issuing a strong condemnation.

Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian Authority — which Washington and others have floated as a potential governing body for post-war Gaza — called the United States “aggressive and unethical” and said the veto was “a mark of shame that will follow the United States for many years.”

Although Biden officials have said that Israel must do more to limit civilian casualties and allow humanitarian aid into Gaza, frustration has grown among some U.S. allies as Washington continues to stand behind Israel despite a rising civilian death toll and increasing desperation as aid remains insufficient.

Officials across the Middle East have been urging an immediate stop to Israel’s offensive, with Jordan’s foreign minister, Ayman Safadi, calling it a “massacre” at a news conference in Washington on Friday.

Hours after the United States blocked the resolution for an immediate cease-fire, Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken and an Arab delegation said early Saturday that they had discussed efforts to ease the humanitarian crisis in Gaza during a meeting in Washington.

Mr. Blinken said he had discussed “our shared goal of establishing a future Palestinian state alongside Israel” during a meeting on Friday with ministers from Arab nations and representatives for the Palestinian Authority. He did not mention a cease-fire.

In a statement, Qatar, which was part of the Arab delegation meeting with Mr. Blinken, reiterated calls among the group for an immediate cease-fire and renewed their “rejection” of Israel’s military operations in Gaza.

Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Gilad Erdan, thanked the United States for its veto. Before the vote, he had made the case that a cease-fire would allow Hamas to regroup and plan more attacks. Israel began its airstrikes and ground invasion of Gaza in response to Hamas’s attack on Oct. 7, in which Israel says 1,200 people were killed.

Rights groups and aid organizations immediately criticized the U.S. veto. The United Nations has warned that Gaza is on the brink of a total breakdown in social order as its 2.2 million civilians are pushed to the limit of survival.

“By vetoing this resolution, the U.S. stands alone in casting its vote against humanity,” Avril Benoit, the executive director of Doctors Without Borders in the United States, said in a statement on Friday. “The U.S. veto makes it complicit in the carnage in Gaza,” she added.

Louis Charbonneau, the United Nations director for Human Rights Watch, said in a post on the social media site X that by providing Israel with “diplomatic cover,” “the U.S. risks complicity in war crimes.”

John F. Kirby, the strategic communications coordinator at the White House National Security Council, on Friday defended U.S. efforts to pressure Israel to be more precise in its strikes, which have killed more than 15,000 people in Gaza in two months of war, according to the Gaza health ministry.

Although he said that the administration would continue working with Israeli counterparts to limit harm to civilians in Gaza, Mr. Blinken said a day earlier that there remained “a gap” between Israel’s stated intent to protect civilians and the events playing out in Gaza.

The United States argued that a cease-fire would leave Hamas in place and that Israel had a right to defend itself. The U.N. Security Council’s 13 other member states voted for it, save for Britain, which abstained.

Hamas condemned the U.S. veto, saying that the vote made the Biden administration “an accomplice in the killing of our people through the political and military support of the occupation.”





Source link

Visited 2 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Nvidia’s trillion-dollar run puts pressure on the bulls

BEIJING, CHINA – MAY 14: Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang (C) gestures as he prepares to depart following a welcome ceremony at the Great Hall of the People on May 14, 2026 in Beijing, China. President Trump is meeting with President Xi Jinping in Beijing to address the Iran conflict, trade imbalances, and the Taiwan situation

Permutations in Europe: What’s still at stake in final weeks of season?

There’s still plenty to play for across Europe as we head into the final matches of the club season. Here are all the title races, Champions League fights, and relegation battles left to be decided in the top leagues this month. This story will be updated until the end of the campaign. 👉 Jump to:EPL

Brewing a Better Half-Gallon Batch

Today I finally ran an experiment I’ve wanted to try for a long time. If you’re a professional barista—or you run a busy café—this may save you some time. Most coffee shops use 1–1.5 gallon batch brewers (Bunn, Curtis, Fetco, etc.). When I opened Short Sleeves Coffee, I intentionally avoided brewing full 1-gallon batches. I

5 Frozen Breakfasts Chefs Say Keep You Full All Morning

Chef-approved frozen breakfasts with more protein and better ingredients. Eating a healthy breakfast every morning is a great way to start the day, but most people don’t have time to cook. Whether you’re rushing out the door in the morning for work, taking the kids to school or both, there’s usually not much time in

CA scales back plan to ban student use of cell phones

By Carolyn Jones, CalMatters This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Until last month, California was poised to join nearly a dozen other states that ban cell phones in K-12 schools. But under pressure from school boards and administrators, lawmakers scaled back a bill that would have required such a

BulkQuant Launches AI Trading Bot for Crypto, Forex, and Stock Markets

BulkQuant Launches AI Trading Bot for Crypto, Forex, and Stock Markets

London, United Kingdom, May 15, 2026 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — BulkQuant has officially launched its AI trading bot platform designed for crypto, forex, and stock market traders seeking a simpler way to automate trading strategies across multiple financial markets. The platform combines AI-powered quantitative analysis, automated trade execution, portfolio monitoring, and adaptive risk management into a

IMF lauds resilient Hong Kong economy but warns of risks linked to Middle East war

IMF lauds resilient Hong Kong economy but warns of risks linked to Middle East war

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lauded the resilience of Hong Kong’s economy, noting a sustained recovery despite economic activity having yet to return to pre-Covid levels, while warning of downside risks stemming from escalating geopolitical tensions. It also urged Hong Kong to pursue medium-term financial reforms, including the introduction of a goods and services

Smithsonian Presidents Exhibit Reopens With Low-Key Trump Impeachment Mention

For the past year, the Smithsonian Institution has found itself in the awkward position of telling the nation’s story while being supported in part by a government that wants to narrow how that story is told. In December, the White House threatened to revoke funding to the institution if it did not hand over a

Marvel’s Daredevil Follow-up Is Already Dominating on Streaming

A follow-up to Daredevil: Born Again Season 2 on Disney+ has become a massive streaming success within days of its launch. The Punisher: One Last Kill has quickly climbed to the top of multiple charts, beating out other titles on the platform. The MCU television special follows the gun-toting vigilante, who finds himself targeted by

Is Now a Bad Time to Invest?

The market has been on a roll lately, with the S&P 500 (SNPINDEX: ^GSPC) setting new highs throughout May. If you think you missed your opportunity when the market bottomed in late March, don’t fret. The market hitting new all-time highs is not particularly rare and should not change your investment strategy. And if you

6 bids for Hong Kong land sale signal renewed confidence despite market caution

6 bids for Hong Kong land sale signal renewed confidence despite market caution

The Hong Kong government’s first land sale in the current financial year has drawn six bids, according to the Development Bureau, including those from the city’s largest developers, suggesting a more confident outlook for the residential property market. At the close of tender for Tung Chung Town Lot No 54 at Area 106A on Friday

Each Premier League team reranked: Man City rise; Chelsea, Liverpool collapse

Ryan O’Hanlon Close Ryan O’Hanlon ESPN.com writer Ryan O’Hanlon is a staff writer for ESPN.com. He’s also the author of “Net Gains: Inside the Beautiful Game’s Analytics Revolution.”  and  Bill Connelly Close Bill Connelly ESPN Staff Writer Bill Connelly is a writer for ESPN. He covers college football, soccer and tennis. He has been at

Trump departs China after two-day summit

Trump departs China after two-day summit

IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. Trump Wraps China Summit With Xi Jinping: What Are the Results? 05:41 Xi gives Trump rare tour of secret garden at heart of Chinese government 01:04 Now Playing Trump departs China after two-day summit 01:01 UP NEXT Special Report: Trump

Carol Chow was facing a bankruptcy petition by five people over unspecified debts at the time of her death. Photo: Dickson Lee

Embattled Hong Kong developer sued for HK$130 million, days after founder’s death

A Hong Kong property developer has been sued for HK$130 million (US$16.6 million) over allegedly breaching guarantor obligations in two bond subscription agreements, becoming the latest lawsuit to implicate the embattled company and following its founder’s sudden death earlier this week. Lofter Group, known for its urban renewal projects across the city’s core districts, and

Trump’s China visit left chip export issue unresolved

This report is from this week’s The Tech Download newsletter. Like what you see? You can subscribe here. One look at the roster of U.S. execs that cozied up to U.S. President Donald Trump on the 20+ hours flight from Alaska to China on Wednesday and you get a sense of the American delegation’s key focus

Why the Cerebras IPO matters for the AI race with China

Why the Cerebras IPO matters for the AI race with China

Cerebras, an AI chipmaker, saw its shares nearly double on Nasdaq, closing up 70% with a $95B market cap. Cerebras’s powerful chips are key in the US-China AI tech race. Chris Buskirk, co-founder and chief investment officer of 1789 Capital, a key Cerebras investor, says the company’s IPO is geopolitically significant. On Thursday, shares of

Fitbit Air vs Whoop Strap Comparison: Price, Features and AI

The Google Fitbit Air is very much the talk of the fitness tracking town right now, not only because it’s the first new Fitbit device that we’ve had in years, but it’s also one of the first big brands to go head-to-head with the established Whoop Strap (if you don’t count the Polar Loop and

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x