Tesla sales unexpectedly plunge after Elon Musk backlash

Tesla’s sales have plummeted to their lowest level in three years in a surprise drop after a backlash against its boss Elon Musk.

The electric car maker delivered almost 337,000 electric vehicles in the first three months of this year, a 13% drop from a year ago.

Shares of Tesla tumbled after the release of the unexpectedly low sales numbers.

The cars face steepened competition from Chinese firm BYD, but experts believe Musk’s controversial role in the Trump administration have had an effect too.

The firm has blamed the drop on the transition to a new version of its most popular car.

However, there have been protests and boycotts around the world at Mr Musk’s outspoken and controversial political involvement.

Mr Musk has been heading up President Donald Trump’s Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) initiative to cut federal spending and slash the government workforce.

The Tesla boss is the world’s richest man and contributed more than a quarter of a billion dollars to help Trump get elected in November.

In recent weeks, Mr Musk poured millions into a Wisconsin Supreme Court race, supporting former Republican attorney general Brad Schimel who was soundly defeated on Tuesday.

The backlash against Mr Musk has included “Tesla Takedown” protests at Tesla dealerships across the US and in Europe.

Tesla vehicles have also been vandalised, and Trump has said his administration would charge people who deface Teslas with “domestic terrorism.”

Musk’s stewardship of his businesses, including Tesla, has been called into question.

In an recent interview, he admitted he was running his enterprises “with great difficulty,” adding “Frankly, I can’t believe I’m here doing this.”

Shares of Tesla have lost more than a third of their value over the last year.

“We are not going to look at these numbers with rose colored glasses… they were a disaster on every metric,” Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said in a note on Wednesday.

“The more political [Musk] gets with DOGE the more the brand suffers, there is no debate.”

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

10 Young Celebrities Who Were Bullied About Their Appearance By Grown Adults

“The fact that adult writers are spending their time dissecting my face, my body, my choices, it’s disturbing.” Growing up in the spotlight can be brutal for young stars. Not only do they face criticism from their peers but they are often also the subject of scrutiny from the media and the public. Many of

Celebrities at the 2025 Breakthrough Prize Ceremony: Photos

Once again, the annual Breakthrough Prize Ceremony has happened, and so many stars came dressed to impress for one of science’s biggest nights. Unofficially known as the “Oscars for scientists,” so many stars arrived at the Barker Hanger on April 05 to honor “scientists changing the world.” The night honors three scientists for the awards

12 Celebrities Who’ve Had Their Own Cooking Shows

“I never really would’ve thought I would have a cooking show, but I had the best time doing it.” Cooking shows aren’t just for professional chefs — there are a ton of celebrities who have taken their cooking talents to TV too! Over the years, a number of stars have turned their passion for the

Buffett’s Berkshire weathers historic market rout, still up 9% this year

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway fared better than the S & P 500 in a brutal week as investors embraced the safety of a cash-rich conglomerate while President Donald Trump’s aggressive tariffs wreaked havoc on Wall Street. Class B shares of the Omaha-based parent of Geico insurance and BNSF Railway fell 6.2% last week, less than

Donald Trump Gets Sign His Car Tariffs Are Working

Major Japanese automobile company Nissan is considering moving some of its production to the U.S., according to a new report, in what could be one of the first indicators for President Donald Trump that his sweeping tariffs may have the impact the White House intends. Why It Matters The White House placed a 25-percent tariff

Opinion | A Playbook for Law Firms and Colleges to Stand Up to President Trump

In his attacks on law firms, universities and other American institutions, President Trump is relying on an illusion. The illusion is that the institutions are powerless to fight back and that they face a choice between principle and survival. These institutions do not have to capitulate to Mr. Trump. They have a realistic path to

Nationwide ‘Hands Off’ protests erupt against Trump and Musk : NPR

Protesters attend a “Hands Off” rally Saturday to demonstrate against President Trump on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images hide caption toggle caption Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images Demonstrators gathered across the country on Saturday, many animated by differing issues, but united in opposition to the Trump administration with the single message: “Hands off.”

Trump has turned his back on the foundation of US economic might

Pool/BBC President Donald Trump has built another wall, and he thinks everyone else is going to pay for it. But his decision to impose sweeping tariffs of at least 10% on almost every product that enters the US is essentially a wall designed to keep work and jobs within it, rather than immigrants out. The

Chicago protestors rally against Trump, Musk Saturday – NBC Chicago

Planned demonstrations are happening across the country Saturday as part of a day of action. Protestors in Chicago said they’re upset with the Trump administration and Elon Musk and the agenda coming out of the White House. A “hands off” rally took place in downtown Chicago. Organizers said an estimated 20,000 people came out to

Elon Musk: DOGE Is ‘Very Transparent’ yet Gets ‘Attacked Like Crazy’

Elon Musk on Saturday defended the White House DOGE Office, arguing that the task force is “extremely transparent.” Musk has faced a growing backlash over his work to reshape the federal government. “We’re very transparent with the Department of Government Efficiency,” Musk told Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini virtually at a meeting of Italy’s

Elon Musk backs ‘free trade zone’ between US and Europe | Politics News

Elon Musk calls for a US-Europe free-trade zone with zero tariffs while EU plans a response to US import duties. Tech billionaire Elon Musk has called for unrestricted trade between the United States and Europe, advocating for a tariff-free economic zone. The adviser to US President Donald Trump said he supported eliminating trade barriers during

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x