Tariff deals with foreign governments not a priority for Donald Trump, say US officials

In the weeks leading up to Donald Trump’s “liberation day”, diplomats and foreign officials streamed through Washington to secure the holy grail: a deal the president could not refuse, and one that would spare them his tariffs.

None succeeded. Trump used rarely-invoked emergency powers to unleash tariffs of between 10 per cent and 50 per cent against almost every country in the world, taking aim at a global trading system that he said had “ripped off” the US for decades.

Now the world is asking whether he wants to retain the tariffs or is just looking to negotiate — a question that has become increasingly urgent with the steep drop in global equity markets in the wake of Trump’s announcement.

But two days after the president announced his wide-ranging tariffs in the White House rose garden, US officials are signalling that deals with foreign governments are not his priority, despite Trump speaking with Vietnam’s leader, To Lam, on Friday.

Trump described his first call with a foreign leader since Wednesday’s announcement “productive”, after Lam offered to cut Hanoi’s tariffs on US goods to zero.

But White House officials cautioned the president’s openness to “picking up the phone” to a foreign leader should not be confused for serious negotiations that would lead to tariffs being lowered.

The White House was focused on implementing the levies, they added, suggesting Washington will set a high bar for any agreement to ease the measures.

“President Trump is always willing to take a phone call from a foreign leader and discuss possible deals, but it is not a negotiation until it’s a negotiation,” said one White House official.

Earlier in the day, Trump appeared to double down on his grand tariffs, despite triggering the worst Wall Street rout since the 2020 Covid-19 crisis.

“TO THE MANY INVESTORS COMING INTO THE UNITED STATES AND INVESTING MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY, MY POLICIES WILL NEVER CHANGE,” Trump posted on his Truth Social platform. “THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO GET RICH, RICHER THAN EVER BEFORE!!!”

Officials have been at pains to convey that the tariffs — applied using the US’s International Emergency Economic Powers Act — were a response to decades of alleged unfair trade practices by Washington’s major partners and allies, and are designed to reshore US manufacturing and boost American jobs.

“This is not a negotiation,” a senior White House official said on Wednesday. “It’s a national emergency.”

Line chart of Index showing US stocks plunged in the wake of Trump's tariff announcement

One person familiar with the administration’s thinking said Trump understood that to lure companies into moving their manufacturing operations to the US, the tariffs would need to be permanent. “Companies need certainty that this is the new policy environment,” the person said.

The White House official said the US was not talking to other countries about “specific concessions”. “The thing we are looking at is trade deficits,” they said.

Scott Bessent, the US Treasury secretary, on Friday dismissed the potential for quick negotiations with top trading partners to reduce the levies.

“I think what’s going to be more important than the discussion with countries is the discussion with companies,” Bessent said in an interview with Tucker Carlson, the rightwing media host, that was broadcast on Friday.

Scott Bessent, the US Treasury secretary
Scott Bessent, the US Treasury secretary, said the ‘dream scenario’ would be a big bargain in which China rebalanced its economic model © Reuters

Bessent’s attempts to soothe markets have been limited to statements he made previously that tariffs would only increase for countries that retaliated against the US trade measures — and otherwise this week’s levies would be the upper limit.

Beijing on Friday responded to the US putting additional tariffs of 34 per cent on Chinese imports with its own countermeasure of a 34 per cent tariff on all US imports to China.

Trump took to social media to express his ire. “CHINA PLAYED IT WRONG, THEY PANICKED — THE ONE THING THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO DO!,” he wrote on Truth Social.

Bessent told Carlson the “dream scenario” would be a big bargain in which Beijing rebalanced its economic model, but warned that would not happen “in a month” but “over the next few years, they may have to come around”.

He added: “The Europeans go kicking and screaming, but I think they’re going to have to rebalance too.”

The messaging has not stopped diplomats and business figures from trying to reach the president in recent days.

The top EU’s trade diplomat, Maroš Šefčovič, spoke with US commerce secretary Howard Lutnick and US trade representative Jamieson Greer on Friday. Šefčovič told them the bloc was “committed to meaningful negotiations”, according to a readout of the meeting.

Everett Eissenstat, a former trade official in Trump’s first stint in the White House and a partner at Squire Patton Boggs, believes the president is open to striking deals.

But he cautioned: “I also think at the end of the day that tariffs will be higher, so we’ll probably end up in a very unique President Trump way, with a universal tariff that has negotiating flexibility.”

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Nationwide ‘Hands Off’ protests erupt against Trump and Musk : NPR

Protesters attend a “Hands Off” rally Saturday to demonstrate against President Trump on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images hide caption toggle caption Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images Demonstrators gathered across the country on Saturday, many animated by differing issues, but united in opposition to the Trump administration with the single message: “Hands off.”

Trump has turned his back on the foundation of US economic might

Pool/BBC President Donald Trump has built another wall, and he thinks everyone else is going to pay for it. But his decision to impose sweeping tariffs of at least 10% on almost every product that enters the US is essentially a wall designed to keep work and jobs within it, rather than immigrants out. The

Chicago protestors rally against Trump, Musk Saturday – NBC Chicago

Planned demonstrations are happening across the country Saturday as part of a day of action. Protestors in Chicago said they’re upset with the Trump administration and Elon Musk and the agenda coming out of the White House. A “hands off” rally took place in downtown Chicago. Organizers said an estimated 20,000 people came out to

Elon Musk: DOGE Is ‘Very Transparent’ yet Gets ‘Attacked Like Crazy’

Elon Musk on Saturday defended the White House DOGE Office, arguing that the task force is “extremely transparent.” Musk has faced a growing backlash over his work to reshape the federal government. “We’re very transparent with the Department of Government Efficiency,” Musk told Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini virtually at a meeting of Italy’s

Elon Musk backs ‘free trade zone’ between US and Europe | Politics News

Elon Musk calls for a US-Europe free-trade zone with zero tariffs while EU plans a response to US import duties. Tech billionaire Elon Musk has called for unrestricted trade between the United States and Europe, advocating for a tariff-free economic zone. The adviser to US President Donald Trump said he supported eliminating trade barriers during

Celebrities Who Somehow Were In A WWE Video Game

Although the earlier WWE video games featured a minuscule roster of only the top Superstars at the time, the franchise’s modernistic strategy sees a horde of contemporary and historical names included as playable characters. In WWE 2K25, for instance, there are 391 characters in total, which will expand with a further five celebrity guest DLC

Musk wants a ‘zero tariff situation’, ‘free trade zone’ for Europe

Tech mogul Elon Musk, who has served as a close advisor to President Donald Trump, on Saturday broke with the president’s decision to impose expansive tariffs on most foreign nations, saying that he hopes to see a “zero tariff situation” between the United States and Europe. “I hope it is agreed that both Europe and

Elon Musk Wants ‘Zero’ Tariffs Between US and Europe

This story is available exclusively to Business Insider subscribers. Become an Insider and start reading now. Have an account? Log in. Elon Musk on Saturday said he wants to see a “free trade zone” between the US and Europe. On April 2, US President Donald Trump set a 20% tariff rate for the European Union.

Malibu CEO found guilty of scamming investors, Hollywood celebrities

A man from Malibu has been convicted of scamming investors and Hollywood stars out of more than $20 million through false claims about his celebrity app’s business performance. Bernhard Eugen Fritsch, the founder and CEO of StarClub Inc., a Santa Monica-based tech company, was held accountable for an elaborate fraud that fueled his lavish lifestyle,

‘He Ain’t Built S**t’ Elon Musk Trashes Navarro On Tariffs

Elon Musk took multiple shots at Peter Navarro in reaction to a clip of the trade advisor defending President Donald Trump’s tariffs amid steep declines in the stock market. Musk has remained fairly silent on Trump’s tariff announcement as stocks, including Musk’s, have taken major hits. Tesla stock fell 10% by Friday, erasing billions in

What Is Elon Musk’s IQ?

A Human Ranking System Intelligence testing would not arise until the 20th century, and the abbreviation “IQ” in 1922, but an early metric of intelligence was established by Francis Galton in his 1869 book, “Hereditary Genius.” Galton, a cousin of Charles Darwin, was a leading proponent of social Darwinism, a pseudoscientific effort to organize human

Elon Musk’s SpaceX, Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin, And Boeing-Lockheed’s ULA Bag $13.5 Billion Pentagon Launch Contracts – Lockheed Martin (NYSE:LMT), Boeing (NYSE:BA)

Elon Musk’s SpaceX, Amazon.com Inc. founder Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin, and Boeing Co. BA and Lockheed Martin Corp.’s LMT United Launch Alliance (ULA) have been awarded contracts by the U.S. Space Force. These contracts, valued at $13.5 billion, are intended for launching critical satellites into orbit by 2029. What Happened: These contracts are part of the Space

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x