Tai Po fire owners to receive buy-back offer of up to about HK$10,000 per sq ft

Hong Kong authorities are set to unveil a resettlement plan as early as Saturday for owners who lost their homes in the deadly Wang Fuk Court fire, offering buy-back options at higher-than-expected prices, the South China Morning Post has learned.

Government sources said on Friday that the acquisition prices for properties without land premiums could be HK$8,000 (US$1,204) per sq ft, while properties with land premiums could exceed HK$10,000 per sq ft.

“The government is well aware of the importance of finalising a long-term rehousing plan for the residents as soon as possible. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun will explain it as early as Saturday,” an insider said.

Wong chairs a government task force on emergency accommodation arrangements for those affected by the Tai Po blaze.

The proposal came three months after the deadly fire killed 168 people at Wang Fuk Court last November. In January, authorities launched a survey to gather the opinions of displaced residents concerning various long-term resettlement options.

The insider said only “a small percentage” of owners opted for redevelopment on the original site, hence the likelihood of the government adopting this option remained low.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Police probe suspected poisoning of 4 dogs, with 2 more canines missing

Police probe suspected poisoning of 4 dogs, with 2 more canines missing

Hong Kong police are investigating the suspected poisoning of four dogs on farms in the northern New Territories, with an animal welfare group saying two other canines are missing and describing the cases as “heartbreaking”. The Sai Kung Stray Friends Foundation said on Friday that the incidents were among at least 19 reported cases linked

Hong Kong’s jobless rate edges up by 0.1 percentage point to 3.9% over past 3 months

Hong Kong’s jobless rate edges up by 0.1 percentage point to 3.9% over past 3 months

Hong Kong’s jobless rate edged up by 0.1 percentage point over the past three months to 3.9 per cent after holding steady in the period between August and October last year, with unemployment rising in the insurance, construction and finance sectors. But labour authorities remained optimistic, saying the growing economy would support the job market

‘Blood moon’ lunar eclipse expected on March 3 in Hong Kong

‘Blood moon’ lunar eclipse expected on March 3 in Hong Kong

This story has been made freely available as a public service to our readers. Please consider supporting SCMP’s journalism by subscribing. Hong Kong astronomy enthusiasts can expect a “blood moon” lunar eclipse early next month, with residents able to view the phenomenon with the naked eye from some places. The global event will take place

Attack on Hong Kong man in Sapporo caused by ‘dining etiquette’ dispute

Attack on Hong Kong man in Sapporo caused by ‘dining etiquette’ dispute

An attack on a Hong Kong man in the Japanese city of Sapporo that triggered travel warnings from Chinese authorities was reportedly caused by a dispute over “dining etiquette”. According to Japanese media this week, a 50-year-old company executive was arrested by local police officers on suspicion of striking the tourist with a bottle on

Hong Kong Observatory detects tremors felt by residents

Hong Kong Observatory detects tremors felt by residents

The Hong Kong Observatory detected locally felt tremors from a 4.0-magnitude earthquake in Guangdong province on Friday afternoon, confirming more than 100 reports from residents. The weather forecaster’s initial analysis indicated that the 4.0-magnitude earthquake occurred at 2.28pm in Guangdong’s Yangjiang, with the epicentre located about 260km (161.6 miles) west-southwest of Hong Kong. The Observatory

MOViE MOViE Celebrates Josie Ho as DREAM HOME Returns to Hong Kong Cinemas

MOViE MOViE Celebrates Josie Ho as DREAM HOME Returns to Hong Kong Cinemas

Photo Credit: Josie Ho The premiere of MOViE MOViE Dream Home (International Version) took place on January 20 at MOViE MOViE Cityplaza in Tai Koo, marking a key milestone as the film celebrates its 15th anniversary and returns to Hong Kong cinemas in an expanded limited theatrical release. Josie Ho, who stars in and produced

Intraday chart for NetEase, Inc.

Hong Kong Adds 24 New IPOs This Year; 488 in Pipeline, HKEX Says

Delayed Hong Kong S.E. 01:29:52 2026-02-20 am EST 5-day change 1st Jan Change 409.20 HKD +0.10% +0.99% +0.39% Published on 02/20/2026 at 01:15 am EST MT Newswires © MT Newswires – 2026 DurationAuto.2 months3 months6 months9 months1 year2 years5 years10 yearsMax. PeriodDayWeek Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited is principally engaged in the operation of

AI, IP and Asia’s Film Market

AI, IP and Asia’s Film Market

Hong Kong’s annual Filmart industry platform marks its 30th edition March 17–20. Before diving into how this year’s event plans to help chart the future of global entertainment, it’s worth reflecting on where things stood at its 1997 debut — and how much has changed since. Filmart launched in June 1997, just weeks before Hong

Hong Kong public hospitals report decline in emergency visits over Lunar New Year

Hong Kong public hospitals report decline in emergency visits over Lunar New Year

Hong Kong’s public hospitals recorded a year-on-year decline of up to a 15 per cent in the number of patients seeking emergency treatment during the first three days of the Lunar New Year holiday, following fee adjustments introduced at the start of the year. The decline was revealed on Friday by Dr Axel Siu Yuet-chung,

Opinion | Building Asean ties puts Hong Kong on path to long-term growth

Opinion | Building Asean ties puts Hong Kong on path to long-term growth

The Hong Kong government has started the year with initiatives that have far-reaching impacts on the city’s long-term growth. Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu announced that he is spearheading Hong Kong’s inaugural five-year plan, which will promote broader integration with China’s five-year plan and ensure a bigger role for the city in the nation’s economic

無綫新聞 TVB News

“Group in, Group Out” tours to Chung Ying Street may launch as early as Q2

發佈日期: 2026-02-19 20:11 TVB News 粵 已複製連結 It’s understood that the government is inclined to open Chung Ying Street in Sha Tau Kok to non-residents’ visits as early as the second quarter. And that’s under a “group in, group out” arrangement. In recent years, the government has stepped up efforts to promote local tourism within

Hong Kong budget 2026-27: beyond balancing the books, what’s at stake?

Hong Kong budget 2026-27: beyond balancing the books, what’s at stake?

Simon Leung has been without a full-time job since his contract ended in March 2024, after the Hong Kong government cut its budget for NGOs by 7 per cent. The social work event coordinator, who is in his late forties, now makes ends meet through gig jobs. With word spreading that the city’s coming budget

Group photo featuring guests at the inauguration ceremony of Hong Kong Lela Cultural Copyright Ltd.

Hong Kong Lela Cultural Copyright Ltd. Officially Launches in Hong Kong

2026 Leading Chinese Culture and Reaching New Heights in Media Excellence HONG KONG, Feb. 19, 2026 /PRNewswire/ — The global wave of digital transformation in the cultural industry, Hong Kong Lela Cultural Copyright Ltd. (Lela Cultural) officially held its product launch conference on 13rd February 2026. Guided by the core values of integrity, innovation, cooperation,

Beyond Imported Icons: Tao Ho and a Local Modernism for Hong Kong - Image 1 of 19

Beyond Imported Icons: Tao Ho and a Local Modernism for Hong Kong

The Tang Shiu Kin Hall, St. Stephen’s College. Image © Kevin Mak, courtesy of Brutalism Hong Kong Research Group Share Share Facebook Twitter Mail Pinterest Whatsapp Or https://www.archdaily.com/1038835/beyond-imported-icons-reading-hong-kong-through-tao-ho When Hong Kong’s architectural story is told, it is often reduced to a handful of icons. Many people most readily name I.M. Pei—Pritzker Prize laureate and architect

The campers had left the area by the following morning. Photo: Handout

Green group calls for action after Hong Kong campsites packed

A green group has called for long-term measures to tackle overtourism in Hong Kong’s scenic Sai Kung district after the number of tents at a campsite reached more than nine times its capacity on the second day of Lunar New Year, although authorities described the situation as “under control”. Greenpeace said on Thursday that it

Protect Hongkongers in Japan, authorities urge Tokyo after tourist attacked

Protect Hongkongers in Japan, authorities urge Tokyo after tourist attacked

Authorities in Hong Kong have expressed concern to the local Japanese consulate after a resident was struck on the head with a beer bottle in Sapporo, and have called on Tokyo to better protect visitors from the city. Thursday’s statement followed a warning issued a day earlier by the Chinese consulate in Sapporo advising nationals

Hong Kong hotels, tourist-area eateries report brisk trade over Lunar New Year holiday

Hong Kong hotels, tourist-area eateries report brisk trade over Lunar New Year holiday

Hong Kong’s hotels and tourist-area restaurants reported robust business during the Lunar New Year holiday, even as a surge in outbound travel by residents underscored the city’s increasingly visitor-driven festival economy. An industry leader said the city had also seen more mainland tourists partly because of ongoing diplomatic tensions between China and Japan. Hongkongers were

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x