Mutiny at Bezos-owned Washington Post as staff oust incoming British editor and lash out at boss in brazen revolt following exposé

Newly named Washington Post editor Robert Winnett will not be taking over the newsroom amid leadership turmoil at the Jeff Bezos-owned news organization.

The Post’s CEO and publisher, Will Lewis, announced Winnett’s decision to remain in England in a note to staff on Friday morning. 

‘It is with regret that I share with you that Robert Winnett has withdrawn from the position of Editor at The Washington Post,’ the embattled publisher told staff, as reported by CNN

Winnett will stay as deputy editor of the Telegraph in London.

The search for a new editor will begin immediately, Lewis told the staff. 

Newly named Washington Post editor Robert Winnett will not be taking over the newsroom amid leadership turmoil at the Jeff Bezos-owned news organization

Newly named Washington Post editor Robert Winnett will not be taking over the newsroom amid leadership turmoil at the Jeff Bezos-owned news organization

Since then, several published reports had raised questions about the journalistic ethics of Lewis and Winnett stemming from their work in England. 

Both men worked together in a series of scoops about extravagant spending by British politicians fueled by information that they paid a data information company for — a practice frowned upon by American journalists. 

The Post itself published a 3,000-word expose revealing Winnet had used materials from a self-described ‘thief’ of reporting. 

The New York Times then wrote that both Winnett and Lewis were involved in stories that appeared to be based on fraudulently-obtained phone and business records.

It sparked a newsroom revolt at The Post. 

David Maraniss, a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner who has worked at the newspaper for four decades, said this week that he didn’t know anyone there who thought the situation with the publisher and ‘supposed new editor’ could stand.

‘The body is rejecting the transfusion,’ Maraniss wrote on Facebook.

The Post's CEO and publisher, Will Lewis, announced Winnett's decision to remain in England in a note to staff on Friday morning

The Post’s CEO and publisher, Will Lewis, announced Winnett’s decision to remain in England in a note to staff on Friday morning

Sally Buzbee was the first female editor of the Washington Post in its 150-year history

Sally Buzbee was the first female editor of the Washington Post in its 150-year history

In his Facebook note, Maraniss said that the issue for staff members is integrity, not resistance to change. To that end, it remains to be seen whether Lewis can gain staff support. 

The financially struggling Post had announced Winnett would take over as editor of the core newsroom functions after November’s presidential election, while it was also setting up a ‘third newsroom’ devoted to finding new ways for its journalism to make money. 

Three weeks ago, then-executive editor Sally Buzbee said that she would quit rather than take a demotion to head this revenue-enhancement effort. Former Wall Street Journal editor Matt Murray was brought on as her interim replacement and future leader of the ‘third newsroom.’ 

Buzzbee, the first woman editor of the Washington Post in its 150-year history, has stepped down after recording a $77 million loss last year.

She left the role after the news organization recorded a $77 million last year

She left the role after the news organization recorded a $77 million last year

Lewis, a former Wall Street Journal publisher and vice chairman of The Associated Press’ board of directors, started at The Post earlier this year, hired by billionaire owner Bezos to stem a costly exodus of readers

Lewis, a former Wall Street Journal publisher and vice chairman of The Associated Press’ board of directors, started at The Post earlier this year, hired by billionaire owner Bezos to stem a costly exodus of readers

The 58-year-old was appointed in May 2021.

Lewis, a former Wall Street Journal publisher and vice chairman of The Associated Press’ board of directors, started at The Post earlier this year, hired by billionaire owner Bezos to stem a costly exodus of readers. 

In a memo to key staff members earlier this week, Bezos assured them that journalistic standards and ethics at the newspaper would not change. 

‘I know you’ve already heard this from Will, but I wanted to also weigh in directly,’ he wrote.

‘To be sure, it can’t be business as usual at The Post,’ Bezos wrote. ‘The world is evolving rapidly and we do need to change as a business.’

Lewis said Friday that the recruitment firm and process for replacing Winnett will be announced soon. 

Winnett’s sudden hiring — without any indication of an extensive search — had also rankled staff members.

But Lewis also said that the reorganization efforts would continue.

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Trump Says Melania Is a ‘Movie Star’ Amid Doc Box Office Record Break

Amid Melania becoming the greatest debut for a documentary in a decade, President Donald Trump is admittedly proud of his wife becoming a “big movie star.” During the Board of Peace event held in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, the president raved about Melania Trump’s documentary, citing its opening box office success. “She has a very

Donald Trump accuses Barack Obama of releasing classified information

Feb. 19, 2026, 4:16 p.m. ET President Donald Trump accused Barack Obama of releasing classified information in comments the former president made recently about aliens. “He gave classified information, he’s not supposed to be doing that,” Trump told reporters Feb. 19 aboard Air Force One, adding it was a “big mistake.” Podcast host Brian Tyler

Why Trump’s remark about discussing Taiwan arms sales with China has raised concerns

U.S. President Donald Trump’s comment that he is discussing potential arms sales to Taiwan with Chinese President Xi Jinping is raising concerns in Taipei as the island democracy relies on U.S. backing in the face of China’s territorial claims. On Monday, Trump told journalists he is discussing the potential sales with the Chinese leader, an unexpected statement that

Insider Shares Update on Jeff Bezos in Seahawks Sale

Shortly before winning the Super Bowl, the ownership of the Seattle Seahawks was called into question. Jody Allen had been running the team since her brother, Paul Allen, passed away, but the ownership was in a trust. Long-term trust ownership violates league rules, which reportedly led to a $5 million fine, although the NFL denied

Elon Musk responds to Music City Loop progress with Nashville airport

Updated Feb. 19, 2026, 11:30 a.m. CT The Metro Nashville Airport Authority unanimously approved a $34 million, 40-year deal with The Boring Company on Feb. 18, marking a major step toward a tunnel system to connect Nashville International Airport with downtown. Hours after the board meeting concluded, The Boring Co. and its founder Elon Musk

Gov. Wes Moore was snubbed by Trump for annual governors’ dinner

Updated Feb. 19, 2026, 10:08 a.m. ET On the Thursday, February 19, 2026, episode of The Excerpt podcast: As a leading figure in the Democratic Party, how does Maryland Governor Wes Moore think his party can prove to voters that they’ve figured out a way forward heading into this year’s midterm elections? Gov. Wes Moore joins

Bernie Sanders Slams Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg & More Over Taxes

Bernie Sanders, the senior United States senator from Vermont, accused billionaires like Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, and Sergey Brin of spending millions to kill a ballot measure instead of “paying their fair share.” This comes amidst California’s brewing fight over a proposed wealth tax. The senator posted a detailed tweet singling out the billionaires and

Canadians Are Still Unhappy With Trump and Hesitant About US Travels

Canadian travellers are still unhappy with President Donald Trump, and that’s affecting the 2026 outlook of visitors to the US from Canada. In 2025, there was a noticeable travel chill from the US’s northern neighbor, following President Donald Trump’s quips about the “51st state” and the levying of hefty tariffs. A January survey of more than 1,000

Russia Putin says U.S. oil blockade on Cuba is unacceptable

Russian President Vladimir Putin greets Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla during their meeting at the Senate Palace of the Kremlin in Moscow on February 18, 2026. Pavel Bednyakov | Afp | Getty Images Russian President Vladimir Putin has sharply criticized the Trump administration’s fuel blockade on Cuba, saying Moscow considers the latest restrictions unacceptable.

He drew a line with Trump. Now Oklahoma’s governor is drawing the president‘s ire

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt arrived in Washington this week with invitations to two White House meetings from an angry President Donald Trump. Trump and Stitt, chair of the National Governors Association, were at odds over whether all the nation’s governors should be invited to the White House for what’s typically a bipartisan annual event. Trump’s

OpenAI Has a Hollywood Problem. They Just Hired a Guy to Fix It.

A “detriment” to human creativity, said Vince Gilligan, creator of “Breaking Bad” and “Pluribus” about AI. “Horrifying,” said James Cameron about the possibility of AI actors. “I’d rather die,” said Guillermo del Toro. “Incredibly destructive,” said Cate Blanchett. It’s not hard to see why OpenAI recognizes it has a bit of an image problem among

Elon Musk DID Tweet ‘I Agree With The Teachings Of Jesus’

Does a legitimate screenshot show that Elon Musk in February of 2026 wrote “I agree with the teachings of Jesus,” in an X post? Yes, that’s true: The X owner did post that message on his verified account. The screenshot does not alter his post. The claim appeared in a February 17, 2026, post on

Bill Gates cancels speech at AI summit, TCS-OpenAI collaboration, IMF on China’s economic policies, FOMC minutes and more

In today’s newsletter, we take a look at Bill Gates’ cancellation of his speech at the AI summit, TCS’s new collaboration with OpenAI, the IMF’s warning on China’s economic policies, details from the FOMC minutes, Nvidia’s recent gains, and more. Bill Gates cancels keynote address at AI Impact Summit amid Epstein files controversy Microsoft founder

Analysis: Trump’s rationale is still opaque as he slides closer to war with Iran

The United States may be on the cusp of launching military action that would mark the most decisive moment in its near half-century showdown with Iran. Yet there’s little public debate about what could be a weekslong assault with consequences that are impossible to predict. There’s no full-court press from top national security officials. President

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x