How does South Korea’s society treat celebrities in crisis? A new case raises questions

SEOUL (AP) — A young actor’s suicide in South Korea. Allegations of an underage relationship. They are part of a growing drama in the Asian entertainment world that raises questions about society’s treatment of celebrities in crisis, with harsh media and online commentary amplifying their lowest moments.

This week, South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun publicly denied allegations that he dated the late actor Kim Sae-ron when she was under the age of sexual consent. His emotional press conference followed Kim Sae-ron’s suicide in February, which reignited allegations that they were romantically involved.

Here’s what we know about the case.

Who was Kim Sae-ron?

Kim Sae-ron was once one of South Korea’s most promising film stars. She began acting at age 9 in the 2009 film “A Brand New Life,” which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. She gained further recognition with “The Man from Nowhere” (2010) and “A Girl at My Door” (2014), also invited to Cannes.

Her career halted in May 2022 after she crashed her car in Seoul while driving under the influence. Despite offering a public apology and reportedly paying compensation to shops that lost power because of the crash, she faced relentless negative attention.

___

EDITOR’S NOTE: In South Korea, callers can receive 24-hour counseling through the suicide prevention hotline 1577-0199, the “Life Line” service at 1588-9191, the “Hope Phone” at 129 and the “Youth Phone” at 1388.

___

Media and online commentators scrutinized her personal life. YouTube gossip channels accused her of exaggerating financial difficulties and questioned her sincerity. Critics, and her family, say it contributed to her declining mental health.

She killed herself on Feb. 16, Kim Soo-hyun’s birthday.

Who is Kim Soo-hyun and what is he accused of?

Kim Soo-hyun, 37, also has been one of South Korea’s most recognized actors, known for dramas such as “My Love from the Star” (2013) and “Queen of Tears” (2024) as well as films like “The Thieves” (2012) and “Secretly, Greatly” (2013).

Speculation about a relationship with Kim Sae-ron began last year when she posted a photo of them together, quickly deleted. Gold Medalist, the agency co-founded by Kim Soo-hyun, denied the relationship, according to South Korean media.

Days after Kim Sae-ron’s death, a YouTube channel known for its politically charged content, HoverLab, alleged that she and Kim Soo-hyun had been in a six-year romantic relationship beginning in 2015, when she was 15 and he was in his late 20s. The channel released what it called evidence including photos, videos and letters. Kim Soo-hyun has called them fabricated.

Kim Sae-ron’s family had approached HoverLab to release the materials, calling it an attempt to restore Kim Sae-ron’s image.

On March 27, a lawyer representing Kim Sae-ron’s family presented to journalists what the family claimed was a photo of an undelivered letter written in 2024 in which Kim Sae-ron described Kim Soo-hyun as her “first and last love” and referenced a five-to-six-year relationship.

The letter was written after she failed to reach Kim Soo-hyun to discuss a debt she owed his agency, according to the lawyer. After Kim Sae-ron’s contract ended and wasn’t renewed, the agency asked her to pay back 700 million won (about $520,000) in damages related to her drunk-driving case. Her family says the demand placed severe pressure on her.

Kim Soo-hyun has acknowledged that he dated Kim Sae-ron but insisted their relationship began after she became an adult. He called claims of an underage relationship false and damaging.

“It is also not true that the deceased made a tragic choice because of my avoidance (of her), or because my agency pressured her about debt,” an emotional Kim told Monday’s press conference.

He refused to answer a question from the AP about when he first met Kim Sae-ron.

Could there be legal consequences?

Whether any laws were broken depends largely on timing. South Korea raised its age of sexual consent from 13 to 16 in 2020. Kim Sae-ron was born in 2000, and the family alleges the relationship began in 2015, when she was 15 and Kim Soo-hyun was 27.

Kim Soo-hyun maintains that their relationship lasted from summer 2019 to fall 2020, when Kim Sae-ron was a legal adult.

Kim Soo-hyun’s agency has taken legal action against the family of Kim Sae-ron and HoverLab, which first aired the underage relationship claims, for distributing private photos and videos of the actor, including images of Kim Soo-hyun kissing the late actor. Kim’s agency said Kim Sae-ron had visited his apartment and his family was present. The agency said they were not dating at the time.

On Monday, Kim Soo-hyun’s lawyer announced a civil lawsuit seeking 12 billion won (approximately $8.15 million) in damages against the YouTube channel and Kim Sae-ron’s family, along with criminal complaints alleging defamation and violation of privacy laws. Kim Soo-hyun and his agency also sued the YouTube channel operator for stalking.

The family’s legal representative and HoverLab both told the AP on Wednesday that they plan to sue Kim Soo-hyun and his agency for making false claims about his relationship with the late actor.

What role did online harassment play?

Kim’s death reignited criticism of South Korea’s relentless tabloid and digital media culture. Her family has singled out videos with speculative, unverified content portraying her as emotionally unstable and morally questionable.

Suing for defamation is often a lengthy, costly battle for South Korean celebrities, as many platforms, like YouTube, are based overseas. Punishments are typically light, with fines or suspended sentences.

Other high-profile cases following negative online attention have included the deaths of K-pop singers Sulli and Goo Hara in 2019 and “Parasite” actor Lee Sun-kyun in 2023.

What’s the fallout?

Fashion brand Prada has ended its collaboration with Kim Soo-hyun. South Korean cosmetics company Dinto terminated its one-year contract with him, citing the seriousness of the controversy. 7-Eleven Taiwan canceled a Kim Soo-hyun fan event last month, citing schedule changes.

An online petition this week calling for the age of consent to be raised from 16 to 19 has gathered nearly 40,000 signatures on the National Assembly’s website.

Suggested reforms in South Korea meant to discourage harsh online comments have not been passed.

Juwon Park, The Associated Press

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Trump Tariffs: Elon Musk, Zuckerberg, Bezos Suffer Big Losses

Elon Musk saw around $11 billion shaved off his wealth in the stock market bloodbath that followed President Donald Trump‘s unveiling of tariffs on Thursday, taking his overall losses since the beginning of 2025 to more than $110 billion. That is according to financial data compiled by Bloomberg, which monitors the wealth of the world’s

Celebrities Join George Clooney For Opening Night of His Broadway Debut

Celebrities including Pierce Brosnan, Kylie Minogue, and Julianna Margulies attended the opening night of George Clooney’s play Good Night, and Good Luck at the Winter Garden Theatre on Broadway on April 3. Good Night, and Good Luck is a stage adaptation of the 2005 film of the same name, co-written by George Clooney and Grant

How Much Money the World’s Richest People Lost After Trump Tariffs

The world’s top 10 richest people saw $74 billion vanish on paper after this week’s market rout, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs on Wednesday afternoon triggered market chaos. Stocks suffered their worst single-day loss in five years on Thursday. The S&P 500 dropped nearly 5%, the Dow lost 1,679

Bill Gates reflects on computer code that reshaped technology

Microsoft founder Bill Gates reflects upon a 50-year-old computer code that reshaped technology Updated: 12:48 AM EDT Apr 4, 2025 Let’s talk about your letter out today, your annual letter, your 11th I believe with you and your wife. What is your goal for this letter? Why should people read it? Well, Melinda and I

China and Russia Will Not Be Split

Many American foreign policymakers dream of being the next Henry Kissinger. Whether they admit it or not, they look to him as the model of shrewd calculation of national interests, geopolitical acumen, and devotion to diplomacy. He was a leader who struck grand bargains with global effects. And no diplomatic maneuver is more quintessentially Kissinger

Meta 帝國危機?祖克伯遊說川普阻擋 WhatsApp、Instagram 被迫分家 – INSIDE

Meta CEO 馬克·祖克伯(Mark Zuckerberg)正積極遊說美國總統唐納德·川普(Donald Trump ),希望達成和解協議,避免 Meta 在 4 月 14 日面臨可能導致公司被迫拆分的反壟斷審判。 根據華爾街日報週三報導,Meta 及其代表已與總統及高級顧問會面,若敗訴,該公司可能被迫放棄對 WhatsApp 和 Instagram 價值數十億美元的收購。 聯邦貿易委員會於 2020 年起訴 Meta,指控其非法維持個人社交網路的壟斷地位,主張 Meta 以過高價格收購 Instagram 和 WhatsApp,目的是消除新興威脅。 反壟斷調查政治背景複雜 反壟斷調查的政治背景日趨複雜。這些針對科技巨頭的行動始於川普第一任期(2017-2021年),並在拜登政府(2021-2025年)期間全面展開。 然而,川普再次入主白宮後做出兩項引人注目的舉動:白宮與科技巨頭關係明顯升溫,以及突然解除 FTC 兩名民主黨籍委員的職務。這些動作使民主黨議員質疑反壟斷政策的未來走向。 儘管存在政策轉向的可能性,新任聯邦貿易委員會主席安德魯·弗格森(Andrew Ferguson)明確表示,他將繼續推動對 Meta 和亞馬遜(Amazon)的訴訟。FTC 於 2020 年起訴 Meta,指控其透過高價收購潛在競爭對手,非法維持社交媒體壟斷地位。 Meta 則辯稱,這些收購有利於競爭與消費者,並指控聯邦貿易委員會忽視 TikTok、YouTube 等平台帶來的市場競爭。 此案是美國反壟斷監管機構針對大型科技公司提出的五大重要訴訟之一,包括對亞馬遜、蘋果(Apple)和 Google(該公司面臨兩個不同訴訟)的訴訟,顯示美國政府對科技巨頭的強硬立場。 美國反壟斷機構 5 大訴訟案: 加入 INSIDE 會員,獨享 INSIDE 科技趨勢電子報,點擊立刻成為會員! 延伸閱讀:

5 mind-boggling tariffs in Trump’s ‘liberation’ plan – POLITICO

Svalbard’s seals can presumably return to the important business of evading polar bears rather than navigating international trade barriers. | Patrick Hertzog/AFP via Getty Images While it was the Australian-ruled aquatic birds that took all the headlines for being hit with a 10 percent “retaliatory” tariff, spare a thought for the penguins that find themselves

Top Russian negotiator shares status on Ukraine peace talks

A top Russian negotiator said his country and the United States are having “good discussions” to end Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine after more than three years of fighting. Kirill Dmitriev, a close advisor to Putin and CEO of Russia’s Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), met Wednesday with U.S. Special Envoy Steve Witkoff in

Chinese celebrities ‘voluntarily’ provided character references in 2019 WeChat videos, Liberal candidate says | Australian election 2025

A Liberal candidate for an ultra-marginal seat in Sydney says famous Chinese actors based in Beijing voluntarily provided glowing character references describing him as a “young talent” and were not paid to do so. Guardian Australia has confirmed the actors approached by Scott Yung’s campaign separately charge several thousands of dollars for similar short video

Why Trump isn’t keen on Amazon being involved in US’ TikTok deal

The White House really wants to get a deal to sell Chinese short-video app TikTok to a US company and remove all possibilities of the Mainland using it as a way to spy on Americans. Except, apparently, one Big Tech firm that Team Trump isn’t so keen on: Online retail giant Amazon, On The Money

E.U. Prepares Major Penalties Against Elon Musk’s X

European Union regulators are preparing major penalties against Elon Musk’s social media platform X for breaking a landmark law to combat illicit content and disinformation, said four people with knowledge of the plans, a move that is likely to ratchet up tensions with the United States by targeting one of President Trump’s closest advisers. The

Columnist Eugene Robinson exits Washington Post after Jeff Bezos’ ‘significant shift’ in paper’s mission

Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson, an MSNBC contributor and staunch critic of President Trump, said he’s quitting after owner Jeff Bezos’ “significant shift” in the paper’s mission — joining an exodus of journalists at the beleaguered broadsheet. “The announced ‘significant shift’ in our section’s mission has spurred me to decide that it’s time for my

Global markets in turmoil as Trump tariffs wipe $2tn off Wall Street | Global economy

Global financial markets have been plunged into turmoil as Donald Trump’s escalating trade war knocked trillions of dollars off the value of the world’s biggest companies and heightened fears of a US recession. As world leaders reacted to the US president’s “liberation day” tariff policies demolishing the international trading order, about $2tn (£1.5tn) was wiped

10 Celebrities Who Have Broken Into the Cannabis Business

10 celebrities who have broken into the cannabis business Gone are the days of the simple choice of smoking a joint or munching on a pot brownie to consume weed. The cannabis industry has made inroads just about everywhere you can imagine—think products like coffee pods, bath bombs, and toothpaste. As recreational and medicinal cannabis

You Would Never Guess New Jersey’s Most Influential Celebrity

When I saw this information, I started to think, what celebrity has influence over me? Hmmm, I can’t think of any celebrity whose life or ideas carry much weight with me. How about you? Is there a famous person who you follow and listen to? Do they endorse something that has made you sit up

Trump Administration Threatens to Withhold Funds From Public Schools

The Trump administration threatened on Thursday to withhold federal funding from public schools unless state education officials verified the elimination of all programs that it said unfairly promoted diversity, equity and inclusion. In a memo sent to top public education officials across the country, the Education Department said that funding for schools with high percentages

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x