Hong Kong official warns of lower payout if Tai Po fire victims reject buy-back plan

The acquisition price for properties damaged in Hong Kong’s deadly Tai Po fire will be “far lower” if homeowners reject the government’s buy-back offer and authorities are forced to use legislation to acquire the remaining properties, a senior official has said.

Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun on Sunday dismissed claims that the government was using public funds to cover its responsibility for the Tai Po tragedy, following online criticism that taxpayers’ money was being used to support individual property owners.

The government is expected to spend about HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back damaged flats in Wang Fuk Court from owners, offering HK$8,000 or HK$10,500 per square foot. Of that total, HK$2.8 billion will come from a dedicated support fund, with the remaining HK$4 billion drawn from public coffers.

Wong said the proposal was a compassionate arrangement aimed at helping owners purchase a new home, warning that otherwise they might lose their investment without significant government intervention.

“The society should look at it comprehensively,” he said on a radio show.

In a separate television interview, Wong added that the proposal represented an “appropriate use” of public money, stressing that the Wang Fuk Court case was “exceptional” and would not set a precedent.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Chef, 34, arrested for allegedly spraying unknown liquid on 3 women in Hong Kong

Chef, 34, arrested for allegedly spraying unknown liquid on 3 women in Hong Kong

A 34-year-old chef has been arrested for allegedly dripping an unknown liquid on three female pedestrians near Hong Kong’s Tai Wai MTR station in separate incidents during the Christmas and Lunar New Year holiday periods. The first incident took place on Christmas morning, when a woman crossing a footbridge on Mei Tin Road felt liquid

Hong Kong budget must be ‘prudent’, balance social needs and reserves: Paul Chan

Hong Kong budget must be ‘prudent’, balance social needs and reserves: Paul Chan

Hong Kong must exercise fiscal prudence, carefully weighing social needs while maintaining adequate reserves to guard against unforeseen circumstances, the finance chief has said as he outlined the principles of the budget he will deliver on Wednesday. Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po on Sunday also revealed the purple cover of the coming 2026-27 budget, saying

HK$261 million of frozen crime funds may take 7 years to reach Hong Kong coffers

HK$261 million of frozen crime funds may take 7 years to reach Hong Kong coffers

Hong Kong authorities froze HK$261 million (US$33.4 million) in suspected criminal proceeds linked to money laundering and drug trafficking last year, but experts say it may take as long as seven years for any of the funds to reach government coffers. According to data from the Joint Financial Intelligence Unit, run by police and customs,

Opinion | Executive-led governance in Hong Kong must start by listening to the people

Opinion | Executive-led governance in Hong Kong must start by listening to the people

When Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office director Xia Baolong recently described Hong Kong’s executive-led system as a distinct governance model, he elevated it from an administrative arrangement to constitutional doctrine. A doctrine is not merely about structure. It is about how governance power is exercised. In Hong Kong’s executive-led system, that exercise begins with

Investment gold retailers move into vacant Hong Kong high-street shops on metal’s rise

Investment gold retailers move into vacant Hong Kong high-street shops on metal’s rise

These retailers – which sell gold coins and bars, rather than ornamental pieces – have taken up ground-floor store spaces that were left vacant during the city’s post-pandemic recovery. Their rapid expansion has been followed by the return of high-end jewellery vendors, a development that has helped stabilise rents in some of the city’s most

Hong Kong budget 2026-27: what’s holding back the city’s tech and talent schemes?

Hong Kong budget 2026-27: what’s holding back the city’s tech and talent schemes?

Hong Kong’s coming annual budget must address critical bottlenecks in technology and talent attraction to pave the way for the city’s first five-year development framework in line with national priorities, according to observers. The budget, to be delivered by Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po on Wednesday, is more than a fiscal exercise. It is viewed

Bangkok disruptions cancel Cathay Pacific BKK–HKG service, stranding Hong Kong-bound passengers

Bangkok disruptions cancel Cathay Pacific BKK–HKG service, stranding Hong Kong-bound passengers

Severe same-day schedule cuts at Thailand’s two largest airports left hundreds of Hong Kong-bound travellers scrambling on 21 February. According to airline communiqués, Cathay Pacific withdrew flight CPA674 from Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi to Hong Kong less than six hours before departure, citing operational constraints. The last-minute move coincided with four additional cancellations by Malaysia Airlines, MYAirline and

Wang Fuk Court buyback plan disappoints some residents despite ‘generous’ offer

Wang Fuk Court buyback plan disappoints some residents despite ‘generous’ offer

Some homeowners displaced by the deadly Tai Po blaze were disappointed by Hong Kong authorities’ decision to buy back their flats instead of resettling them at the original site, even as the acquisition offer was described by surveyors as “generous”. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the long-term resettlement plan on Saturday, offering options

Calls for better supervision of Hong Kong’s campsites after areas inundated

Calls for better supervision of Hong Kong’s campsites after areas inundated

Campers and hikers have urged Hong Kong authorities to step up public education, law enforcement and impose foot traffic limits at campsites after some areas were flooded with visitors during the Lunar New Year holiday. A visit by the South China Morning Post on Saturday to Ham Tin Wan, a beach in Sai Kung, found

Bastard chairs hong kong

Bastard Chairs: Homemade Seats On Hong Kong Streets

“They are not elegant, nor are they always comfortable. But neither are they mass-produced: they are individuals.” – Michael Woolf, Bastard Chairs     The hybrid, vernacular seats seen in Hong Kong’s backstreets and in mainland China are known as ‘Bastard Chairs’ . These improvised seats have been assembled and repaired by local residents using

Hongkongers line up for shot at record HK$200 million Mark Six draw

Hongkongers line up for shot at record HK$200 million Mark Six draw

Snaking queues formed at betting branches across Hong Kong on Saturday as residents snapped up tickets for the record HK$200 million (US$25.6 million) Mark Six snowball draw. By 5.50pm, the turnover for the Year of the Horse snowball stood at HK$316.44 million, representing 5.07 times the total turnover of the HK$62.4 million recorded for the

Park staff member Sonia with “Siu Go”. Photo: Ocean Park

Hong Kong Ocean Park’s last 2 arctic foxes die, den temporarily closed

Hong Kong’s Ocean Park has temporarily closed its Arctic Fox Den after the enclosure’s last two remaining animals, “Siu Go” and “Trinity”, died of old age. The theme park announced on Saturday that Siu Go and Trinity had both died at the age of 11. It did not specify when the deaths occurred. “The park’s

Image may contain Architecture Building Cityscape Urban City Building Complex Tower High Rise and Office Building

Architect André Fu Shows Us Around His Native Hong Kong

“Hong Kong has always evolved, and always will, and I think that’s its beauty,” says architect André Fu of his hometown. With a cornucopia of credits to his name—having designed some of Asia’s hottest new hotels including the Waldorf Astoria Osaka, Capella Taipei, and Upper House Hong Kong; restaurants like Duddell’s and Estro in Hong

Hong Kong to spend HK$6.8 billion buying back fire-ravaged Tai Po flats

Hong Kong to spend HK$6.8 billion buying back fire-ravaged Tai Po flats

Hong Kong authorities will spend about HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back homes damaged in the deadly Tai Po fire from flat owners, offering HK$8,000 to HK$10,500 per square foot as part of a long-term resettlement plan involving HK$4 billion in public funds. Deputy financial secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the plan on Saturday,

New US 10% global tariff will have ‘limited impact’ on Hong Kong: treasury chief

New US 10% global tariff will have ‘limited impact’ on Hong Kong: treasury chief

The new 10 per cent global tariffs imposed by the United States will only have a “limited impact” on Hong Kong, the city’s treasury chief has said, adding that the move highlights the city’s strength as a safe haven for capital amid geopolitical uncertainty. The remarks followed US President Donald Trump’s announcement on Friday to

Navy reservist accused of murdering wife believed to have fled to Hong Kong

Navy reservist accused of murdering wife believed to have fled to Hong Kong

article Lina Maria Guerra Echavarria was found dead in her Norfolk, Virginia, home on Feb. 5, 2026. (Norfolk Police Department) A Navy reservist on active duty accused of murdering his wife in Virginia is believed to have fled to Hong Kong, according to a federal affidavit filed by the FBI. Investigators said 38-year-old David Varela

Mable Chan says the scheme is doing well in its initial stage. Photo: Edmond So

600 Guangdong drivers enter Hong Kong as thousands apply for new scheme

About 600 motorists from Guangdong have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister. Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that weekend quotas for such trips had almost been

Hong Kong budget 2026-27: ‘sweeteners’ for grass roots or the middle class?

Hong Kong budget 2026-27: ‘sweeteners’ for grass roots or the middle class?

Hong Kong’s improving fiscal position has prompted a groundswell of calls for the government to offer more “sweeteners” in the coming budget, including a cross-party demand for more tax relief for the middle class, but economists have cautioned against such across-the-board measures. They were more supportive of targeted spending, a cause taken up in recent

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x