US appears open to reversing some China tech bans • The Register

Asia In Brief The United States may be about to change its policies regarding Chinese technology companies.

Evidence of the possible change emerged on Friday when the US Federal Register published an updated list of designated Chinese Military companies whose activities in the USA are greatly restricted.

The list disappeared within hours after a US government agency requested it be withdrawn, but numerous reports state that document listed Chinese web and cloud giants Alibaba and Baidu, plus automaker BYD, as companies tangled up with the Middle Kingdom’s military, and therefore a security risk.

The update also reportedly removed Chinese memory-makers ChangXin Memory Technologies and Yangtze Memory Technologies, a change that means both can sell their DRAM to US customers. The two companies make very small quantities of RAM, probably too little to offer significant price relief to US buyers.

Pentagon spokespeople have said a revised list will be made public soon.

Reuters, meanwhile, reports that the US may lift bans on Chinese telcos operating in the US, and also walk away from plans to prevent sales of TP-Link products.

If correct, those actions would reverse the first Trump administration’s “Clean network” policy that aimed to “secure Americans’ most sensitive information” from China by ensuring Middle Kingdom carriers, submarine cables, and clouds could operate in America.

The Clean Networks policy came into force in 2020 – perhaps a year too late to stop the Beijing-backed Salt Typhoon crew from totally owning US telecoms networks.

Reuters speculates that the administration’s easing of some restrictions on Chinese tech are a negotiating tactic ahead of a planned meeting between presidents Trump and Xi Jinping.

India introduces strict AI takedown rules

India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology last week announced new rules that require social media operators to automatically detect AI-generated content and remove some of it within two hours.

The rules [PDF] extend India’s digital media ethics laws to shorten the deadline for content removal from 24 hours to two hours when authorities deem takedowns are urgent due to possible personal harms.

The updated rules also ban using AI to create intimate content, plus content that “falsely depicts or portrays a natural person or real-world event.”

India’s government published the rules on February 10th and imposed a ten-day deadline for compliance.

Singapore readies $30 billion tech fund

Singapore’s prime minister last week announced a S$37 billion ($30 billion) R&D fund, some of which will go towards a new set of national AI Missions designed to “drive AI-led transformation in key sectors of our economy, and push the boundaries of what is possible, for Singapore and for the world.”

The island nation will focus on advanced manufacturing, connectivity, finance, and healthcare.

In his budget speech, Prime Minister Lawrence Wong said Singapore hopes AI will “accelerate innovation and build best-in-class factories that can compete globally and “help to automate airport and seaport operations, move goods more efficiently, and strengthen Singapore’s position as a leading global hub.”

Wong also addressed concerns about AI.

“Workers worry that AI will displace jobs. Societies worry about misinformation, bias, and the ethical use of powerful technologies. These anxieties are real — and we must confront them squarely,” he said. “But fear cannot be Singapore’s response. If we allow uncertainty to paralyse us, we will fall behind in a world that is moving rapidly ahead.”

“So we must act with clarity and resolve. AI is a powerful tool — but it is still a tool. It must serve our national interests and our people. We will define how AI is developed and used in Singapore. We will set clear rules to ensure it is applied responsibly and safely. And we will ensure that its benefits are shared widely across society.”

Google also last week announced new investments in Singapore.

IBM ‘conquering’ China

IBM’s general manager for Greater China, Chen Xudong, last week issued New Year’s wishes to clients in which he said that during 2025 Big Blue “continued to adopt a second entrepreneurial approach and a do-or-die determination in the Chinese market, moving from ‘defending its territory’ to ‘conquering its territory.’”

Chen said IBM will do that by bringing more of its wares to China, and help exporters to reach new markets.

“As the AI wave overlaps with anxieties about going global, Chinese companies no longer need piecemeal technical patches, but rather integrated solutions tailored to their specific business needs,” he wrote. “Only by breaking down data and system silos, building a secure and flexible technological foundation, and embracing open-source application platforms can they firmly grasp both control and choice, achieving a new path to growth characterized by resilience and enhanced innovation.”

Japanese bear-scaring wolf robot gets cuddly

In 2018, Japanese company Ohta Seiki created the “Monster Wolf” – a robot with glowing red eyes designed to scare bears. Think of it as an modern scarecrow that caught the public imagination because bears coming into contact with people always makes the news in Japan.

As bear attacks surged last year, the Monster Wolf returned to prominence.

And now, according to Japanese outlet Nikkei, Ohta Seiki plans to release plush versions of the Monster Wolf.

One model will retain the original’s bear-scaring role, and will apparently be able to play back sounds including growls, howls, gunshots and a human voice uttering threats including “You won’t be spared!” The 20cm robot will be remotely operable. The company plans a smaller model that can serve as a personal protection device, or just extract yen from the pockets of plush toy enthusiasts. ®

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

'Xi Jinping is a tech bro': Analyst says China's rally has room to run

China’s tech shock threatens U.S. AI monopoly: ‘just getting started’

China is focusing on large language models in the artificial intelligence space. Blackdovfx | Istock | Getty Images China’s rapid advancement in AI is threatening to shake up U.S. dominance in the market, with one analyst warning of a tech shock that is just getting started. Rory Green, TS Lombard’s chief China economist and head

EU official says Türkiye key to middle corridor to China

EU official says Türkiye key to middle corridor to China

MUNICH   European Union Enlargement Commissioner Marta Kos said Türkiye is a “critical partner” for regional transport and connectivity projects aimed at strengthening Europe’s access to Central Asia and China. Kos spoke at a panel on deepening Trans-Caspian cooperation at the 62nd Munich Security Conference, attended by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, among others. She said

China's Lunar New Year travel rush is world's biggest annual migration

China’s Lunar New Year travel rush is world’s biggest annual migration

People gather in a busy street decorated for the upcoming Lunar New Year, which welcomes the Year of the Fire Horse, in Beijing, China, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Maxim Shemetov BEIJING – Hundreds of millions of people criss-cross China during Lunar New Year holidays each year to ‌reunite with families ‌in their hometowns or for sight-seeing in

ET logo

Make in India, funded by China? India can’t shut out Chinese cash

Amid a growing thaw with China, India can revise its stance a bit on Chinese capital eager to flow into India. The government is reviewing Press Note 3 and examining the feasibility of introducing a de minimis threshold that would allow automatic approvals for small foreign investments from countries sharing a land border with India,

On The Ground

Massive fireworks store explosion in China kills eight ahead of Lunar New Year

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents Get a weekly international news dispatch Eight people have been killed and two others suffered minor burns following an explosion and fire at a fireworks shop in eastern China. The tragic incident occurred on Sunday

donhai-county-china-on-map.jpg

8 dead in blast, blaze in fireworks shop in China ahead of Chinese New Year

Beijing — An explosion and fire at a fireworks shop in eastern China has killed eight people and left two others with minor burns ahead of the Chinese New Year, authorities said. Donhai County, in extreme eastern China about halfway up the coast Google Maps The Sunday afternoon blast in a village in Jiangsu province

Imagery indicates that the structure has undergone refurbishment in recent years, including the addition of new vents and heat-dispersion features. Additional construction is visible adjacent to the main building. (Unsplash/Representational Image)

Satellite images from China show expansion of secret nuclear weapons facilities in Sichuan: Report

Geospatial analysis of satellite imagery taken between 2022 and 2026 has identified a significant expansion of secretive nuclear weapons facilities in Sichuan Province in southwest China, The New York Times reported on Sunday. The findings, shared by geospatial intelligence expert Renny Babiarz, indicate that China’s nuclear buildup has accelerated since 2019, marking a pivot in

Amanda Goh

Family of 5 Moved to China for a New Adventure; Feels Safer Than Home

After five years in Qatar, Elisa Orsi and her husband, David Sleight, knew they were ready to leave the desert behind. They had moved from Australia to the Middle Eastern country in 2019 with their three kids — all under 6 — after Sleight accepted a job there. Already big travelers before they had kids,

This week in the Greater Bay Area: Lunar New Year fireworks, float parades, and more - Guangzhou

Lunar New Year fireworks, float parades, and more

The first day of the Year of the Horse falls on 17 February, so it’s no surprise that the coming week will be filled with vibrant Lunar New Year celebrations. From dazzling fireworks displays in Macao, Hong Kong, and Guangzhou, to Zhaoqing’s Light and Shadow Art Carnival, and Shenzhen’s Spark Night, the entire Greater Bay

Beijing drops visa requirement for Canadian tourists, business visitors to China

Glynnis Chan, president of Vancouver-based Happy Times Travel and Tour Ltd., said many of her Canadian clients are cheering the news. Chan said some have roots in China, and it’s not convenient for them to visit relatives because of the “long and troublesome” visa application process. “I have been running a travel agency for so

Text to Speech Icon

Canadian passport holders can travel to China visa-free starting this week

Listen to this article Estimated 2 minutes The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results. Canadian passport holders can travel to China visa-free starting Tuesday until the end of 2026, a spokesperson for China’s Foreign Affairs

China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi speaks during the Munich Security Conference (MSC) in Munich.

As Rubio tries to make amends, China looks to woo Europe

Beijing  —  Minutes after top diplomat Marco Rubio proclaimed that the United States and Europe “belong together” in a conciliatory speech at the Munich Security Conference, his Chinese counterpart took to the stage with his own pitch. “China and the EU are partners, not rivals,” Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told his audience, speaking from

Mis-stitched Stuffed Horse Toys Go Viral On Chinese Internet

How China is celebrating the Year of the Horse

Officials hope the longer holiday will boost consumption amid an economic slump that is weighing on people’s minds. “The overall environment isn’t very good,” said Liu Zhenqiang, 38, who works in tech. “I have many friends around me who are currently unemployed. So if you have a job yourself, you really need to cherish it.”

Copenhagen Airport suspends flights after large drone sightings

China’s ski slopes pull big crowds as Japan tensions run high – The Irish News

Chen Yang and her family have in recent years flown from China’s Guangdong province to Japan for an annual ski trip to Hokkaido. This season, she cancelled their trip and will stay home instead, hitting northeast China’s slopes amid rising political tensions between the two countries. “As an ordinary Chinese person, I can’t do much

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x