Strikes in Gaza kill 85 overnight, bringing the total since Israel broke the ceasefire to nearly 600

DEIR-AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip — Local health officials said Israeli strikes killed at least 85 Palestinians across the Gaza Strip overnight and into Thursday, bringing the total to nearly 600 killed since Israel shattered a truce that had facilitated the release of more than two dozen hostages and brought relative calm since late January.

Hours later, Hamas fired three rockets at Israel without causing casualties, in the first such attack since Israel broke the ceasefire Tuesday.

Zaher al-Waheidi, head of the records department at the Gaza Health Ministry, said Israeli bombardments have killed at least 592 people in the past three days.

The Israeli military said it was again enforcing a blockade on northern Gaza, including Gaza City. Palestinians were not being ordered to leave northern Gaza but can no longer enter, the military said, and are only allowed to move south on foot using the coastal road. Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians had returned to what remains of their homes in the north during the ceasefire.

Early Friday, Israel’s Cabinet unanimously approved Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s request to fire the head of the country’s Shin Bet internal security service. The late-night decision to sack Ronen Bar deepens a power struggle focused largely over who bears responsibility for the Hamas attack that sparked the war in Gaza.

It also could set the stage for a crisis over the country’s division of powers. Israel’s attorney general has ruled that the Cabinet has no legal basis to dismiss Bar.

Israel bombarded Gaza and pressed its ground operations on March 20, after issuing what it called a "last warning" for Palestinians to return hostages and remove Hamas from power.
A Palestinian man hugs the body of a baby killed by overnight Israeli airstrikes in Beit Lahia, northern Gaza, on Thursday.Bashar Taleb / AFP – Getty Images

Israeli ground forces, meanwhile, are pushing into Gaza near the northern town of Beit Lahiya and the southern border city of Rafah, the military said Thursday. The operations come a day after Israel moved to split Gaza in two by retaking part of the strategic Netzarim corridor that divides Gaza’s north from south.

The military ordered Palestinians to evacuate an area in central Gaza near the city of Khan Younis, saying it would operate there in response to Thursday’s rocket fire from Hamas. The Palestinian militant group said it targeted Tel Aviv. One rocket was intercepted and two fell in open areas, according to the army.

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels also launched two missiles at Israel, one early Thursday morning and another in the evening, the military said. Both were intercepted before reaching Israeli airspace, according to the army, and no injuries were reported. Air raid sirens rang out and exploding interceptor rockets were heard in Jerusalem. There have been three such attacks since the United States began a new campaign of airstrikes against the Houthis earlier this week.

A ‘bloody night’ for hard-hit Gaza

Gaza’s Health Ministry said overnight Israeli strikes killed at least 85 people, mostly women and children. The ministry’s records do not distinguish between civilians and combatants.

The Indonesian Hospital said it received 19 bodies after strikes in Beit Lahiya, near Gaza’s northern border, which was heavily destroyed and largely depopulated earlier in the war.

“It was a bloody night for the people of Beit Lahiya,” said Fares Awad, head of the Health Ministry’s emergency service in northern Gaza, adding that rescuers were still searching the rubble. “The situation is catastrophic.”

Israel’s military said Thursday its airstrikes in Gaza had killed the head of Hamas’ internal security apparatus and two other militant commanders. Israel has said it only targets militants and blames civilian deaths on Hamas because it operates in densely populated areas. A United Nations-backed group of human rights experts accused Israel last week of “disproportionate violence against women and children” during the war in Gaza.

One of the strikes early Thursday hit the Abu Daqa family’s home in Abasan al-Kabira, a village outside Khan Younis near the border with Israel. It was in an area the Israeli military ordered evacuated earlier this week, encompassing most of eastern Gaza.

The strike killed at least 16 people, mostly women and children, according to the nearby European Hospital, which received the dead. Those killed included a father and his seven children, as well as the parents and brother of a month-old baby who survived along with her grandparents.

At least 35 people killed in Israeli attacks on different parts of Gaza
Funeral prayers are held over the bodies of victims brought to Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza, on Thursday.Abed Rahim Khatib / Anadolu via Getty Images

“Another tough night,” said Hani Awad, who was helping rescuers search for more survivors in the rubble. “The house collapsed over the people’s heads.”

War in Gaza has no end in sight

President Donald Trump’s administration reiterated its support for Israel, with White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt saying, “The president made it very clear to Hamas that if they did not release all of the hostages there would be all hell to pay.”

Israel, which cut off the supply of food, fuel and humanitarian aid to Gaza’s roughly 2 million Palestinians, has vowed to intensify its operations until Hamas releases the 59 hostages it holds — 24 of whom are believed alive — and gives up control of the territory.

Hamas says it will only release the remaining hostages in exchange for a lasting ceasefire and a full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, as called for in the ceasefire agreement mediated by the United States, Egypt and Qatar.

Hamas says it’s willing to hand over power to the Western-backed Palestinian Authority or a committee of political independents but will not lay down its arms until Israel ends its decadeslong occupation of lands the Palestinians want for a future state.

Shin Bet chief’s dismissal deepens Israeli political turmoil

Netanyahu said Sunday he would seek Bar’s dismissal, saying he had lost faith in his security chief.

But critics say the move is a power grab by Netanyahu against an independent-minded civil servant.

Tens of thousands of Israelis have demonstrated across the country in recent days in support of Bar, including a mass gathering outside Netanyahu’s office late Thursday in the pouring rain.

A Shin Bet report into the Oct. 7 attack acknowledged failures by the security agency. But it also said that policies by Netanyahu’s government created the conditions for the attack.

Netanyahu is also upset that the Shin Bet has launched an investigation into connections between some of his close aides and the Gulf state of Qatar. His office said Bar’s dismissal would take effect April 10 or before then if a replacement is found.

Bar did not attend the meeting but sent a letter to the Cabinet ahead of time protesting the firing.

He said the dismissal was meant to hinder the agency from further investigating the failures of Oct. 7 and undermining the investigation into whether Qatar influenced the prime minister’s office.

“This is a direct danger to the security of the state of Israel,” Bar wrote.

The war began when Hamas-led militants stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing some 1,200 people and taking 251 hostage, according to Israeli officials. Most of the hostages have been freed in ceasefire agreements or other deals. Israeli forces have rescued eight living hostages and recovered the bodies of dozens more.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed more than 49,000 Palestinians, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. It does not say how many were militants, but says more than half of those killed were women and children. Israel says it has killed around 20,000 militants, without providing evidence.

The war at its height displaced around 90% of Gaza’s population and has caused vast destruction across the territory.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

X, A Bastion For Hate, Claims It Will Reduce Hate Content In The UK

Christopher Furlong/Getty Images X has committed to reducing “hate and terror content” in the UK, according to the regulator Ofcom, by speeding up its review process for offending content and “withhold access in the UK” to accounts which post “illegal terrorist content” and are determined to be “operated by

China Telecom is leading the Hong Kong landing of the Asia Link Cable system to strengthen regional connectivity across Asia.

China Telecom Advances ALC Landing in Hong Kong

By Vietnam NewsMay 14, 2026 HONG KONG SAR – Media OutReach Newswire – 14 May 2026 – On May 14, 2026, the Asia Link Cable (ALC) international submarine cable, led and constructed by China Telecom, has successfully landed at the Chung Hom Kok Cable Landing Station in Hong Kong, China. The successful landing marks a key milestone

Just four weeks of healthy eating may reduce your biological age

Recommendations for healthy aging usually come with a warning: At a certain point, the damage is done, and the goal shifts from improvement to slowing decline. But a new study suggests the body may respond much faster – and later in life – than many people assume. In just four weeks, older adults

See Which Recent 13F Filers Hold TSLA But Boussard & Gavaudan Investment Management, Wright Wealth, Lombard Odier Asset Management USA, Carret Asset Management, Coppell Advisory Solutions and Deltroit Asset Management UK Exited

At Holdings Channel, we have reviewed the latest batch of the 111 most recent 13F filings for the 03/31/2026 reporting period, and noticed that Tesla Inc (Symbol: TSLA) was held by 31 of these funds. When hedge fund managers appear to be thinking alike, we find it is a good idea to take a closer

Xi gives Trump rare tour of China's secret garden

Xi gives Trump rare tour of China’s secret garden

IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. Trump Wraps China Summit With Xi Jinping: What Are the Results? 05:41 Now Playing Xi gives Trump rare tour of secret garden at heart of Chinese government 01:04 UP NEXT Trump departs China after two-day summit 01:01 Special Report: Trump

Fujian firms tap Hong Kong’s financial might to fuel global expansion

Fujian firms tap Hong Kong’s financial might to fuel global expansion

A roadshow co-hosted by the Fujian Provincial Administration of Local Financial Regulation and Industrial Securities is underway in Hong Kong, on May 15, 2026. (PROVIDED TO CHINA DAILY) Companies from Fujian province are looking to access superior capital and technological resources via the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to further expand their global footprint, according

Cargo train

China-Iran rail corridor grows as US naval blockade fails to reach overland

Expert breaks down China’s influence on Iran, US foreign policy Dennis Citrinowicz, an analyst at the Institute for National Security Studies, explains China’s complex role in the Iran conflict and its strategic implications for America. He highlights that China, while not wanting Iranian nuclear weapons, benefits from US focus on Iran, potentially draining munitions needed

Dutton Ranch Final Trailer Drops as Yellowstone Spin-off Debuts Today on Paramount+

Paramount+ has shared the final trailer for Dutton Ranch. The newest sequel spin-off arrives after Taylor Sheridan’s popular Yellowstone series ended its five-season run last year. The first two episodes are now streaming on Paramount+. This will then be followed by a weekly episode drop until July 3, 2026. “As Beth and Rip fight to

Stock trade disclosure reveals Trump made massive gains on Big Tech bets

Donald Trump’s latest financial disclosure has opened an unusually detailed window into the scale and pace of trading activity tied to the US president’s investment portfolio. The filing, submitted on Thursday to the US Office of Government Ethics through two OGE Form 278-T reports, disclosed more than 3,600 transactions executed between January and the end

5 things to look out for in La Liga this weekend

With Barcelona crowned champions for a second consecutive season, attention in La Liga turns to other matters in the penultimate round of fixtures, including a gripping relegation battle. AFP Sport picks out five things to look out for this weekend in the Spanish top flight. Griezmann’s farewell French forward Antoine Griezmann could not end his

Benched Mbappe complains Arbeloa said he was ‘4th forward’

Real Madrid striker Kylian Mbappe said Thursday coach Alvaro Arbeloa told him he was the “fourth forward” in the squad before benching him against Real Oviedo. The France captain returned from a thigh problem in a 2-0 win over Oviedo but his appearance as a 69th-minute substitute was greeted by whistles from Madrid’s own disgruntled

Meal Kit Market to Reach USD 39.28 Billion by 2033 Driven

Meal Kit The global meal kit market was valued at USD 17.09 billion in 2025 and is projected to reach nearly USD 39.28 billion by 2033, growing at a CAGR of 12.5% during the forecast period from 2026 to 2033. The market is witnessing strong growth driven by changing consumer lifestyles, increasing demand for convenient

Iran latest: Trump says China wants Strait of Hormuz reopened, opposes tolls

Iran latest: Trump says China wants Strait of Hormuz reopened, opposes tolls

Spiked fuel prices continue to rattle the world economy as talks between the United States and Iran to find a resolution to the war appear to have no end in sight.  Data released by the Labor Department on Tuesday showed gas prices jumped 5.4% with average regular gas costing more than $4.50 a gallon, according

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi attends the BRICS foreign ministers' meeting at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, India May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Adnan Abidi

Why the Iran conflict is becoming a problem for BRICS | US-Israel war on Iran News

Islamabad, Pakistan – A two-day meeting of BRICS foreign ministers in New Delhi ended on Friday without a common position on the war on Iran, with the bloc’s outcome document acknowledging only that “differing views” remained among members. It was the second consecutive BRICS gathering in India to fail to produce a consensus on the

UK travellers with pets issued major government update affecting all UK airlines

The update confirms what many pet owners worry about when travelling The update follows a viral petition(Image: Getty Images) Following a viral petition that garnered over 14,000 signatures, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has issued a statement concerning cabin regulations for British Airways, easyJet, Jet2, Ryanair, and TUI flights. According to government

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x