Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel Defence Minister On Iran’s Rumoured ‘Hit List’


New Delhi:

Iran has an ‘execution list’ of ‘Israeli terrorists’ – including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Yoav Gallant, as well as the commanders of the Israel’s Army, Navy, and Air Force – according to a poster circulated on X, one version of which was shared by @Revenge_is_near.

Neither government has yet responded to this poster so far, although whispers from within Iranian military intelligence suggest senior Israeli leaders, if not Netanyahu himself, may be targeted.  

Other high-ranking military leaders on the list are Chief of General Staff Herzi Halevi and his deputy, Amir Baram, and the heads of the Northern, Southern, and Central Command – Major Generals Ori Gordin, Yehuda Fox, and Eliezer Toledani. Military intelligence chief Aharon Haliva is also named.

If the list is genuine, it would appear that Iran targeting Benjamin Netanyahu is a direct response to reports that Israel is looking to press its advantage – after crippling the leadership structure of Iran-backed Hezbollah – by executing Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, that country’s Supreme Leader.

And, if genuine, it mirrors a (pre-attack) list released by Israel last month that said it had eliminated top commanders of the Hezbollah’s elite Radwan Force, The Times of Israel reported. Israeli forces named 11 Hezbollah commanders killed and shared a poster on Instagram of the broken command structure.

Image shared on Instagram by @stateofisrael

Image shared on Instagram by @stateofisrael

In the aftermath of the attack Tuesday Netanyahu told Iran it had made “a big mistake”.

Targeting Defence Minister Gallant would also be a significant move. In October last year – ordering a complete blockade on the Gaza Strip that left millions of civilians starving, before Israeli fighter jets’ merciless bombing – Gallant infamously described Palestinians as “animals”.

And eliminating the raft of senior Israeli military leaders will be seen as payback for Tel Aviv killing at least eight top Hezbollah leaders, as well as those from Palestinian terror group Hamas and other associated Islamic groups.

Tension between Tel Aviv and Tehran escalated sharply – as have fears of an all-out war in West Asia – after Tuesday’s large-scale missile offensive, the second against Israel in seven months.

EXPLAINED | How Israel Might React To Iranian Missile Attack?

The first – in which around 200 ballistic missile and explosive drones were fired at Israel in April – was in retaliation for an airstrike on the Iranian consulate in Damascus in Syria.

Tuesday’s missile strike, Iran has said, was its response to Israel’s killing Friday of Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah and Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh. Nasrallah, 64, was killed in airstrikes targeting dozens of sites – that Tel Aviv claims were linked to the Hezbollah – in eastern and southern Lebanon.

READ | Hezbollah Chief Killed In Israel Strike: “Will No Longer Terrorise”

Israel also claims last week’s strikes dealt heavy blows to Hezbollah’s command structure.

Two days later – on Monday – Hamas said an Israeli strike had also killed one of its senior commanders in Lebanon – Fatah Sharif and his family died in airstrikes in the southern port city of Tyre. Yet another – on a residential building in central Beirut – killed a member of an Islamic group allied with Hezbollah.

Over the past 10 days Israel has reportedly targeted and executed at least eight senior Hezbollah leaders, including founding members. The group on Sunday said Nabil Kaouk, the deputy chief of its Central County and a veteran of the 2006 war with Israel, had also died in an airstrike.

Later that day Hezbollah said Ali Karaki, another senior commander, had also died.

These strikes have been seen by many as signs Israel is following ex Prime Minister Naftali Bennett’s ‘Octopus Doctrine’, which calls for a direct fight with Iran instead of dealing with Hezbollah or Hamas.

Israel, after the terror attack by Hamas in October last year, had vowed to wipe out the Palestinian group, and similar declarations have been made by Tel Aviv as it opens this second front.

READ | Iran Guards Threaten “Crushing Attacks” If Israel Responds To Missiles

Iran’s missile strikes have left diplomats in the region and in the West scrambling to avoid a full-blown war, and Tehran has warned of “crushing attacks” if Israel retaliates, which it has said it will do.

Guy Nir, spokesperson for the Israeli embassy in India, told NDTV Tehran would get an appropriate response. “If he (the Ayatollah) plans to initiate a full-scale war with Israel, it will be a mistake for them. Israel’s response is going to be strategic and pin-pointed… not a full-scale war.”

EXCLUSIVE | Will Iran’s Attack Lead To Full-Scale War? Israel Spokesperson Says…

Any hope the US will step in to broker peace may not come to pass, with Washington saying it will work with Israel to make sure Iran faces “severe consequences” for its military action.

On Wednesday, meanwhile, Israel bombed Lebanon again, this time targeting southern suburbs of capital Beirut, which are seen as more Hezbollah strongholds.

Nearly 1,900 people have been killed and more than 9,000 wounded in Lebanon – most in the past two weeks – in almost a year of cross-border fighting, according to the Lebanese government, while Palestine health authorities said Israel’s strikes have killed over 41,000, including women and children.

With input from agencies

NDTV is now available on WhatsApp channels. Click on the link to get all the latest updates from NDTV on your chat.




Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi attends the BRICS foreign ministers' meeting at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, India May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Adnan Abidi

Why the Iran conflict is becoming a problem for BRICS | US-Israel war on Iran News

Islamabad, Pakistan – A two-day meeting of BRICS foreign ministers in New Delhi ended on Friday without a common position on the war on Iran, with the bloc’s outcome document acknowledging only that “differing views” remained among members. It was the second consecutive BRICS gathering in India to fail to produce a consensus on the

Dancers rehearse before an audition for the Radio City Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall in New York, on Wednesday, April 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

I Wouldn’t Advise My Children to Live in US

BERLIN, May 15 (Reuters) – German Chancellor Friedrich ⁠Merz ⁠on Friday said he would ⁠advise his children against living or studying in ​the United States at the moment, citing a rapidly changing social climate and ‌limited opportunities even for the ‌highly educated. The remarks highlight tensions between the United States and its ⁠European ⁠allies under

Dancers rehearse before an audition for the Radio City Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall in New York, on Wednesday, April 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

A Bad Case of the Bond Blues

Everything Mike Dolan and the ROI team are excited to read, watch and listen to over the weekend. Hello Morning Bid readers! The long-awaited summit between ⁠U.S. President ⁠Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping hogged the spotlight this week, despite producing ⁠little market-moving news. The real story remains the stalemate in the Middle

Local authorities say the UK Government should aim higher on accessible homes minimum targets

Local authorities say the UK Government should aim higher on accessible homes minimum targets

More than 20 local authorities say the government’s proposed minimum target for accessible housing is not ambitious enough and a higher proportion of accessible housing is achievable. Councils who responded to an Ageing Better survey overwhelmingly agreed that the proposed 40% minimum target put forward as part of reforms to the National Planning Policy Framework

Trump, Xi conclude 'very successful' talks but no deals announced

Trump, Xi conclude ‘very successful’ talks but no deals announced

Beijing, Chinese President Xi Jinping and his US counterpart Donald Trump on Friday hailed their talks as “historic” and “landmark”, as the American leader wrapped up his three-day visit on a high note, but no deals on any contentious issues were announced. Trump, Xi conclude ‘very successful’ talks but no deals announced Both Presidents, who

Dancers rehearse before an audition for the Radio City Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall in New York, on Wednesday, April 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

Orban’s Media Empire Crumbles After Hungary Election Defeat

BUDAPEST, May 15 (Reuters) – The media empire built by former Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s government, a key ⁠pillar of ⁠the nationalist leader’s 16 years in power, is swiftly unravelling following ⁠an election last month that abruptly ended his rule. Within weeks of the vote, which the centre-right opposition led by Peter Magyar won

Dancers rehearse before an audition for the Radio City Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall in New York, on Wednesday, April 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

Finland Says Helsinki Drone Threat Has Ended, Reopens Airport

HELSINKI, May 15 (Reuters) – Finland said on ⁠Friday ⁠suspected drone activity in the ⁠skies above the country’s capital region no longer ​posed a threat and that the situation was returning to normal as Helsinki’s ‌airport reopened. Finland and the nearby ‌Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have seen a string ⁠of ⁠recent incidents

Dancers rehearse before an audition for the Radio City Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall in New York, on Wednesday, April 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

6 Passengers From Hantavirus-Hit Ship Arrive in Australia for 3-Week Quarantine

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Six passengers from a cruise ship hit by a hantavirus outbreak arrived Friday in Australia for a quarantine expected to last at least three weeks. The Gulfstream long-range business jet carrying them from the Netherlands landed at RAAF Base Pearce outside the Western Australia state capital, Perth. The passengers and crew

Dancers rehearse before an audition for the Radio City Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall in New York, on Wednesday, April 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

Britain’s Foreign Minister Plans to Visit China in Early June, Sources Say

BEIJING, May 15 (Reuters) – British foreign minister Yvette Cooper is expected ⁠to ⁠visit China in early June, three sources ⁠familiar with the plans said, as London seeks to capitalise on relatively cordial ties with ​Beijing before any fresh setback over a new Chinese embassy in the UK capital. The June 2-3 trip will take

Hartlepool Council's Reform UK group has new leader after election clean sweep

Hartlepool Council’s Reform UK group has new leader after election clean sweep

Burn Valley councillor Graham Harrison has been elected leader of the party’s group on the local authority (Image: Getty Images) Hartlepool Borough Council’s Reform UK group has a new leader following its election clean sweep. Burn Valley councillor Graham Harrison has been elected leader of the party’s group on the local authority. Rural West councillor

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham wants to stand in the Makerfield by-election

What Wigan council local election results could mean for Makerfield by-election

A Labour MP is stepping aside for Andy Burnham. Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham wants to stand in the Makerfield by-election(Image: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire) Andy Burnham could soon be back in Parliament. The Greater Manchester Mayor has announced his intention to stand in the Makerfield by-election, which was triggered by Josh Simons MP standing down.

A white car is buried under a tangle of dark tree branches and green leaves. Several people work to cut and remove the large tree debris.

Deadly Storms Devastate Northern India

new video loaded: Deadly Storms Devastate Northern India 0:42 Officials said at least 111 people were killed and dozens more injured after severe storms hit the state of Uttar Pradesh. By Alisa Shodiyev Kaff May 14, 2026 Trump and Xi Meet as Summit Begins 1:58 Chaos Erupts Inside Philippine Senate After Apparent Gunshots 1:06 Mixed

Following the start of US and Israeli strikes on 28 February, Iran severely restricted transit in the Strait of Hormuz. (REUTERS)

Iran allowing transit of Chinese vessels in Strait of Hormuz: Report

Iran has begun allowing some Chinese vessels to transit through the Strait of Hormuz following an understanding over Iranian management protocols for the waterway, the semi-official Fars news agency said on Thursday, citing an informed source. Following the start of US and Israeli strikes on 28 February, Iran severely restricted transit in the Strait of

A report by the Henry Jackson Society warns about the impact of Islamism on U.K. elections.

Islamist-linked Lobby Scores Big Wins in England’s Local Council Elections

As a British taxpayer, I want us to fund the Palestinians. I want us to give them weapons, guns, missiles, and allow them to liberate themselves against their occupiers. More than 570 candidates associated with an Islamic sectarian agenda and endorsed by an Islamist-linked pressure group, The Muslim Vote, secured significant victories across 58 councils

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x