Hongkongers can only expect a short gap between the current flu season and the next one, but the coming wave is likely to be weaker, according to a leading infectious disease expert.
Ivan Hung Fan-ngai, chair professor of infectious diseases at the University of Hong Kong, said on Saturday that the current flu season, which started in January, might last for another one to two months.
“The current [influenza A subtype] H1 outbreak might last till June or July before it drops. Then there might be a quieter time … before we might start to see more H3 cases in late July or August,” he told a radio programme.
“But that wave will not be as serious as the previous wave, when many people have been infected or vaccinated with flu jabs.”
Hung said that alongside a possible increase in H3 cases during the coming wave, the city could see a rise in flu B infections.
The academic also noted that while children and the elderly were generally more susceptible to flu, the current wave had resulted in more serious cases among youngsters than older residents.
The current flu season has so far resulted in the deaths of four children.
Hung said the increased risk for young children was because many had not built up sufficient immunity through previous infections or vaccinations.
In comparison, most elderly people had contracted the flu before and many of those in care homes were already vaccinated, he added.
The infectious disease expert urged parents to get their children vaccinated as soon as possible.

Data from the Centre for Health Protection showed that only 47.7 per cent of children aged six months to under six years old had received the current seasonal flu jab as of April 28.
The rate for people aged 65 and above stood at 50.9 per cent.
Hung also spoke about the discovery of the emerging Covid-19 variant KP.2 in the city’s sewage waters.
He noted that the variant was more transmissible than the currently dominant local strain, JN.1, but was also weaker.
Health authorities said the KP.2 strain accounted for about 15 per cent of specimens tested in a recent sewer surveillance effort.
Hung said on Saturday that he expected KP.2 could replace JN.1 as the city’s dominant variant in a few weeks’ time.
He added that was no need for the public to worry since the city already had sufficient immunity against Covid-19 through past infections or vaccination
Those considered to be at higher risk from the coronavirus, including the elderly and people with chronic illnesses, should get a yearly booster shot, Hung said. He also urged parents to get their children vaccinated.


















