What we know about shooting of National Guard in Washington DC

Watch: How the shooting of two National Guard members unfolded

Two members of the National Guard were shot and seriously wounded on Wednesday just blocks from the White House in Washington DC.

One died on Thursday while the second remains in a critical condition, US President Donald Trump said the following day. The suspect, an Afghan national, is in custody.

In response to the attack, Trump said he would deploy another 500 troops to the streets of the nation’s capital.

What happened in the shooting near the White House?

Just after 14:00 EST (19:00 GMT) on Wednesday, two members of the National Guard, both from West Virginia, were shot at close range near Farragut Square in downtown Washington DC.

The soldiers had been on a high-visibility patrol near the corner of 17th and I streets, an area where many office workers mill around at lunchtime.

Metropolitan Police Assistant Chief Jeff Carroll said the suspect “came around the corner” and “immediately started firing”, adding that the soldiers had been “ambushed”.

Muriel Bowser, the mayor of Washington DC, said the incident was a targeted attack.

The location of the shooting, just blocks from the White House, meant a number of law enforcement officials were quickly on the scene to treat the two victims and apprehend the gunman.

The guard members were taken to hospital, where one later died.

Trump was at his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida ahead of the US Thanksgiving holiday and not at the White House at the time.

Patel: National Guard members ‘brazenly attacked’ and in critical condition

What do we know about the victims?

The victims have been named as Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Andrew Wolfe, 24 – both uniformed members of the West Virginia National Guard.

Ms Beckstrom died on Thursday, Trump said while on a Thanksgiving call with US service members.

He said Mr Wolfe remains in critical condition after being shot multiple times.

Reuters Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew WolfeReuters

Attorney General Pam Bondi told Fox News that Ms Beckstrom had volunteered to work in the nation’s capital over the Thanksgiving holiday.

“She volunteered, as did many of those guardsmen and women, so other people could be home with their families,” she said.

What do we know about the suspect?

The Department of Homeland Security named the suspect as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, and described him as “a criminal alien from Afghanistan”.

During his apprehension, the suspect was shot four times, law enforcement sources told CBS News, the BBC’s US partner.

Reuters Rahmanullah LakanwalReuters

Mr Lakanwal is 29 years old and not co-operating with authorities, officials said.

He is said to have come to the US in 2021. He lived with his wife and five children on the other side of the country, in the state of Washington.

How did he come to the US?

Mr Lakanwal reportedly came to the US in September 2021, under a programme for Afghans named Operation Allies Welcome that existed during the presidency of Joe Biden.

This was during the time period that followed a chaotic withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan. As the Taliban took back control of the country, there were fears of retribution against those who had co-operated with the US.

The Congressional Research Service has estimated that around 77,000 Afghans entered the US under special immigration protections, in place for about a year following the US withdrawal.

Mr Lakanwal had a relationship in Afghanistan with the US forces, FBI Director Kash Patel said. CIA Director John Ratcliffe said he had worked with the intelligence agency.

Mr Lakanwal applied for asylum in 2024, and his application was granted earlier this year, an official told CBS.

What will he be charged with?

The US attorney for Washington DC, Jeanine Pirro, said the initial charges of assault against the suspect will be upgraded to murder in the first degree.

Initially, the administration had announced that Mr Lakanwal would be charged with three counts of assault with intent to kill while armed, along with possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.

“It is a premeditated murder. There was an ambush with a gun toward people who didn’t know what was coming,” Pirro told Fox and Friends on Friday. “And that is the homicide, and that is the murder that we’re looking at right now.”

Watch: Police chief describes how shooting of National Guard members unfolded

How has the Trump administration responded?

Just hours after the shooting, Trump posted a video speaking from Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida.

He described the shooting as an “act of terror” and “a crime against humanity”.

Trump said he would deploy an additional 500 National Guardsmen to Washington DC – where there are currently nearly 2,200 troops.

National Guard troops are a reservist force that can be activated to serve as military troops, but have limited power as they cannot enforce the law or make arrests.

Trump deployed troops in August to tackle what he called “out of control” crime in the nation’s capital.

Overall crime in the nation’s capital has fallen since the force was sent, which Trump credits to the troops’ presence on the streets.

The Trump administration has also highlighted the suspect’s background, and announced a range of measures aimed at toughening the US approach to migration from Afghanistan and other nations.

On Wednesday, the day of the shooting, it suspended processing all immigration requests from Afghans.

The next day, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said it would re-examine green cards [permanent US residence cards] issued to individuals who migrated to the US from 19 countries.

And Trump went on to say he would “permanently pause migration” to the US from all “third-world countries” – using a term that was used in the past to describe poorer, developing nations.

On Friday in a post on X, USCIS director Joseph Edlow said the Trump administration would halt asylum decisions for all nationalities “until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible”.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Experts urge residents to eat costly invasive species wreaking havoc on native ecosystems — and it's unexpectedly delicious

‘As if they were playing Monopoly’

It’s no secret that billionaires and their superyachts have created quite a stir over the last few years. With the ships seemingly getting larger and their carbon emissions following suit, observers have criticized the superyachts’ impact on the environment. For Russian billionaire Leonid Mikhelson, his impact nearly expanded well beyond the waters of the Balearic

Google circle to search highlight page on a smartphone

Google’s Circle To Search Is Getting A Massive AI Upgrade

Tada Images/Shutterstock Google’s Circle to Search is a brilliant feature that first arrived on Android phones with the Galaxy S24 Ultra. As one of the first big AI-driven features that smartphone users could turn to, the feature lets you easily highlight and search up details about almost anything in

Donald Trump pledges to tackle Sudan atrocities

Donald Trump pledges to tackle Sudan atrocities

Alex de WaalAfrica analyst Reuters The millions who have fled Sudan’s conflict are desperate for it to end Wracked by war for two-and-a-half years, Sudan lies in ruins. Half a dozen peace initiatives have failed, none of them able to pressure or persuade regional powerbrokers to push for a compromise. Many Sudanese ask if the

Biggest snowfall in nearly 5 years on the way

Biggest snowfall in nearly 5 years on the way

Current Conditions The Next Few Hours Extended Outlook Plan accordingly and stay safe! The biggest snowfall in nearly five years is on the way. Current modeling suggests snow could be falling in the city and the Chicago metro area between 5 to 7 a.m.; but potentially the most heavy snowfall will be in the noon

Experts urge residents to eat costly invasive species wreaking havoc on native ecosystems — and it's unexpectedly delicious

‘We will track you down’

A 29-year-old Englishman from Leeds has been handed a 10-month prison sentence following his conviction for 13 counts of illegal waste dumping, commonly known as fly-tipping, across the United Kingdom. Leeds City Council shared footage and photos in a YouTube video of the immense amount of waste dumped in several places — but not a

Secretary of State Marco Rubio listens to a question

State Department pauses Afghan visas after D.C. attack kills Guard member

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! The Department of State has paused all visas for individuals traveling on Afghan passports after an attack in Washington, D.C., Wednesday targeting National Guard members. Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, an Afghan national, was charged with first-degree murder among other counts related to the ambush, which has since claimed

Experts urge residents to eat costly invasive species wreaking havoc on native ecosystems — and it's unexpectedly delicious

‘We may have to evacuate’

Officials in a major capital in the Middle East are contemplating drastic measures to manage dire water shortages driven by a severe drought. What’s happening? The BBC reported that the Iranian capital of Tehran is on the brink of running out of water. The lack of rainfall has caused the dams supplying the city to

New mugshot of Idaho students murder suspect Bryan Kohberger

‘Not The Kind That He Likes’

Bryan Kohberger‘s latest objection to life in prison involves the fruit on his tray. According to reports, the convicted killer has complained about the bananas he is being served at mealtime. This is just one of many complaints the 31-year-old has made since his transfer to the Idaho Maximum Security Institution, where he is serving four consecutive

Experts urge residents to eat costly invasive species wreaking havoc on native ecosystems — and it's unexpectedly delicious

Scientists sound alarm over ‘dangerous threat’ 2 billion people could face if certain changes aren’t made

More than one in five people worldwide will be forced to endure a life-threatening “new normal” if governments don’t act with urgency, according to the Institute of Sustainability and Environmental Professionals (ISEP). What’s happening? World leaders gathered in Belém, Brazil, for a global environmental summit beginning Nov. 10. On Nov. 20, the penultimate day of

Experts urge residents to eat costly invasive species wreaking havoc on native ecosystems — and it's unexpectedly delicious

‘A strong buffer for … water supply’

After four years of lower levels, a reservoir in Penang, Malaysia, has reached 99% capacity thanks to consistent downpours, reported New Straits Times. The Air Itam dam hit 99.4% of its total volume this week. The reservoir hadn’t been this full since late 2021, when it reached just over 93% capacity. Over 20 inches of

How were Afghan evacuees vetted under Biden?

How were Afghan evacuees vetted under Biden?

Lucy GilderBBC Verify, Washington DC US Air Forces Europe-Africa via Getty Images The shooting of two National Guard members, one of whom later died, in Washington DC has led to major immigration policy changes by the Trump administration. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has said the suspect – from Afghanistan – had entered the

Afghans in US issue plea to Trump after 'tragic' Washington DC shooting

Afghans in US issue plea to Trump after ‘tragic’ Washington DC shooting

James FitzGeraldand Mahfouz Zubaide AFP via Getty Images Tens of thousands of Afghans entered the US under special immigration protections following the US withdrawal from the country in 2021 Afghans living in the US have condemned Wednesday’s “deeply tragic” deadly shooting attack in Washington DC, while stressing that the suspect – who moved to the

Sarah Beckstrom.

National Guard member killed in D.C. shooting remembered for ‘heart of gold’

Sarah Beckstrom, the West Virginia National Guard member who died of her injuries after a shooting near the White House this week, took a keen interest in criminal justice and dreamed of one day becoming an FBI agent, according to a former boyfriend. Beckstrom, 20, believed her service with the military police would “get her

Emergency personnel keep a presence following the shooting of two National Guard soldiers in Washington, DC, on November 26, 2025.

Trump escalates promised immigration crackdown after National Guard shooting

The White House is doubling down on its aggressive immigration policies that helped deliver President Donald Trump a second term, launching an interagency federal investigation into the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC, while also directing the administration to take steps to stem migration into the US. The suspect in Wednesday’s shooting,

Best Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals 2025

Apple, Sony, Amazon, Google and More

If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, Variety may receive an affiliate commission. Black Friday is the best day of the year to get new tech, whether you’re looking for new 4K TVs, gaming consoles, laptops, noise-canceling headphones, cameras, soundbars and more. However, Black Friday‘s deals aren’t

President Trump Announces Aviation Safety Executive Orders In The Oval Office Of White House

Trump Post Hints At Stopping Legal Immigration To The United States

Donald Trump talks to reporters from the Resolute Desk after signing an executive order on January 30, 2025 in Washington, D.C. In a new social media post, Donald Trump hinted that he might enact policies to stop nearly all legal immigration to the United States. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) Getty Images In a new

Mother of Consett one-punch victim believes message sinking in

Mother of Consett one-punch victim believes message sinking in

Andy WatsonNorth East and Cumbria Andy Watson/BBC Maxine Thompson-Curl’s son Kristian was 19 when he died following a one-punch assault in 2011 The mother of a teenager who died from a single punch on a night out believes awareness is growing around the dangers of the attacks. Kristian Thompson died in 2011, months after being

Local MP visits Southborough Primary School on UK Parliament Week

Local MP visits Southborough Primary School on UK Parliament Week

Southborough Primary School in Bromley, part of The Pioneer Academy Trust, was recently visited [Monday 24 November 2025] by local MP Peter Fortune, the MP for Bromley and Biggin Hill. The visit was part of UK Parliament Week, an annual event which highlights what Parliament is, what it does and how to get involved. Peter

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x