National Guard member dies after D.C. shooting and is college worth it?: Morning Rundown

A member of the West Virginia National Guard has died from their injuries following an attack in Washington, D.C., an unlikely Army secretary-turned diplomat emerges as a key leader in Ukraine peace talks. And the appeal of a four-year college degree loses its luster.

Here’s what to know today.

National Guard member shot in ‘targeted’ D.C. attack dies

Pictures of National Guard members Andrew Wolfe and Sarah Beckstrom are displayed next to a picture of the suspect of the shooting, Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal
Pictures of National Guard members Andrew Wolfe and Sarah Beckstrom, who were shot in Washington, D.C., are displayed next to a picture of the suspect of the shooting, Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal on Thursday.Nathan Howard / Reuters

One of two National Guard members shot in Washington, D.C. died from their injuries, President Donald Trump said. Sarah Beckstrom was a member of the West Virginia National Guard. The 20-year-old entered the service on June 26, 2023, and was assigned to the 863rd Military Police Company, the 111th Engineer Brigade.

The other National Guard member was identified as Andrew Wolfe, who the president said was “fighting for his life” and “in very bad shape.” Wolfe is also a member of the West Virginia National Guard and is currently hospitalized in critical condition.

This is Morning Rundown, a weekday newsletter to start your day. Sign up here to get it in your inbox.

In a lengthy social media post late on Thanksgiving, Trump said he will “permanently pause” all immigration from what he called “third world countries” and demanded a program of “reverse migration” as he intensified his rhetoric after the shooting. Trump offered few details as he disparaged and vowed to remove millions of migrants in the United States.

Beckstrom and Wolfe were serving on the D.C. Safe and Beautiful Mission when they were shot on Wednesday afternoon. The National Guard said they had been deployed to the capital since August after Trump ordered troops to the city as part of his crackdown on crime.

Here’s what we know about the two National Guard members.

Putin ready for ‘serious’ peace talks and says U.S.-Ukraine draft could be basis for a deal

KYRGYZSTAN-POLITICS-DIPLOMACY-SECURITY-CSTO
Russian President Vladimir Putin in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan on Nov. 27, 2025. Alexander Kazakov / Pool / AFP via Getty Images

Russian President Vladimir Putin said his country is ready for “serious” peace talks as Trump works toward solidifying a peace deal on the war in Ukraine. After an initial White House proposal attracted criticism for being too favorable to the Kremlin, Ukrainian and U.S. officials worked to adjust the agreement, which Putin said could form the basis for a future deal to end the conflict.

And while Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff is set to travel to Russia next week for talks with Putin, another individual has emerged as a key figure in negotiations — U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll.

Since his Senate confirmation in February, he’s been focused on transforming the Army’s weaponry. But more recently, he has crisscrossed Europe, shuttling from Kyiv to Geneva to lead talks with Ukrainian and other European officials.

The idea behind sending Driscoll was that as a military leader with the backing of the White House, he could look the Ukrainians in the eye, perhaps with more credibility than a conventional government diplomat, and persuade them it was time for peace, the three U.S. officials said.

Read more about how the Army secretary-turned-diplomat is helping shepherd Ukraine negotiations.

More news on the war in Ukraine:

In the Michigan city where Trump held his 100 days rally, voters wait for a turnaround

Jim Klotz stands in front of his home with his dog in his arms
Jim Klotz, 84, at his home in Warren, Michigan, on Nov. 24.Sylvia Jarrus for NBC News

It was in Warren, Michigan, in a community emblematic of fast-changing demographics and the partisan battle for working-class voters, that Trump in late April touted the achievements of the first 100 days of his second term. Then, he promised that his signature One Big Beautiful Bill law would brighten the country’s horizon.

His ability to sell that message of renewal here and around the country figures to factor heavily in next year’s midterm elections, which will determine whether Republicans maintain their trifecta in Washington — control of the White House and both chambers of Congress — and Trump avoids having a significant check placed on his power. The congressional seat here, which Republican Rep. John James is leaving open to run for governor, is one of three in the state that the Cook Political Report rates as potentially competitive.

The economic turnaround Trump predicted hasn’t happened — at least not yet — residents of Warren and surrounding towns in Macomb County, the onetime land of “Reagan Democrats,” said in interviews at a coffee shop and a dog park a few days before Thanksgiving.

Their sentiments track with the 63% of registered voters, including 30% of Republicans, who said in the recent national NBC News poll that Trump has fallen short of their expectations on the cost of living and the economy.

Read the full story here.

Read All About It

  • A federal judge is pressing the Justice Department to explain how it will protect the identities of Jeffrey Epstein’s victims after lawyers said that dozens of their names appeared unredacted in documents released by Congress.
  • Hormone therapy has emerged as a method to ward off dementia in women, as growing research suggests declining estrogen levels during menopause can potentially leave the brain more vulnerable to damage.

Staff Pick: We don’t need no education

One American dream is slowly losing its luster. Almost two-thirds of registered voters say a four-year college degree isn’t worth the cost, according to a new NBC News poll, a dramatic decline over the last decade.

Just 33% agree that a four-year college degree is “worth the cost because people have a better change to get a good job and earn more money over their lifetime,” while 63% agree more with the concept that it’s “not worth the cost because people often graduate without specific job skills and with a large amount of debt to pay off.”

When adjusted for inflation, the cost of a public four-year college tuition for in-state students has doubled since 1995. And tuition at private four-year colleges is up 75% over the same period, according to College Board data.

National politics reporter Ben Kamisar looked at the eye-popping shift over the last 12 years, which comes against the backdrop of several major trends shaping the job market and the education world, from exploding college tuition prices to rapid changes in the modern economy. — Kaylah Jackson, Platforms Editor

Read the full story here.

Black Friday sales have begun — we rounded up all the best deals to shop this weekend

Don’t even think about waiting to shop. These are some of the lowest prices we’ve ever seen, and we promise, they’ll sell out fast.

Sign up to The Selection newsletter for hands-on product reviews, expert shopping tips and a look at the best deals and sales each week.

Thanks for reading today’s Morning Rundown. Today’s newsletter was curated for you by Kaylah Jackson. If you’re a fan, please send a link to your family and friends. They can sign up here.    

       

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Hongkongers mourn fire victims at citywide condolence points; toll at 128

Hongkongers mourn fire victims at citywide condolence points; toll at 128

This story has been made freely available as a public service to our readers. Please consider supporting SCMP’s journalism by subscribing. Get faster notifications on the latest updates by downloading our app. What we know so far: 128 people, including a firefighter, confirmed dead 79 injured, including 12 firefighters Status of 200 people unclear The

John Geddie

Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting

Two hundred still missing, search and rescue ended Eleven arrested in connection with city’s worst fire in decades Hong Kong officials hold three-minute silence on Saturday Britain’s King Charles sends condolences for ‘appalling tragedy’ HONG KONG, Nov 29 (Reuters) – Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive

HSBC CEO Georges Elhedery (left) takes part in a discussion with Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po (centre) and Standard Chartered CEO at the Hong Kong FinTech Week on November 3. Photo: Jonathan Wong

Work in progress: Hong Kong reaps the fruits of fintech seeds sown nearly 10 years ago

When Alvin Kwock, co-founder of digital insurer OneDegree, took part in the inaugural Hong Kong FinTech Week in November 2016, it was held at a venue suitable for only a few hundred people. “As it was the first ever fintech event in Hong Kong, only fintech start-ups were interested, no big financial institutions paid attention,”

Windows on buildings in Wang Fuk Court were covered with styrofoam. Photo: Karma Lo

Hong Kong construction clampdown needed after fire but industry must act too: experts

Systemic failings around supervision of building maintenance in Hong Kong, and a lack of coordination between departments charged with ensuring it is done properly, both needed to be addressed to prevent tragedies such as the Tai Po fire happening again, experts and sector representatives have said. The regulation of polystyrene foam boards was particularly important,

Windows on buildings in Wang Fuk Court were covered with styrofoam. Photo: Karma Lo

Hong Kong construction clampdown needed after fire but industry must act too: experts

Systemic failings around supervision of building maintenance in Hong Kong, and a lack of coordination between departments charged with ensuring it is done properly, both needed to be addressed to prevent tragedies such as the Tai Po fire happening again, experts and sector representatives have said. The regulation of polystyrene foam boards was particularly important,

Andre Agassi in action at Hong Kong’s Victoria Park during the Salem Open in 1999, in a match against Nicolas Kiefer. Photo: SCMP Archives

Andre Agassi on Hong Kong, his comeback and learning to live in the present

If there’s one piece of advice Andre Agassi offers, it’s to dream while awake. “It’s way too easy to dream when you’re sleeping,” says the American tennis legend. “Don’t be scared to dream big because it takes as much effort to dream big as it does small.” He advises choosing your definition of success carefully.

義工團將部分物資包裝好並送上貨櫃車,將運送物資到區內其他有需要物資站,以及義工成員的貨倉。(蘇智鑫攝)

大埔宏福苑五級火|義工稱被關愛隊要求離開庇護中心 麥美娟:非受災居民一般不應進入 (18:49) – 20251128 – 港聞 – 即時新聞

本報向現場關愛隊查詢,對方否認曾報警。警方亦稱,大埔警區至今沒有接獲相關報案。 民政及青年事務局長麥美娟傍晚回應說,現時一些庇護中心情况頗混亂,亦有很多並非居民的人士,更令派發一萬元應急錢的工作很困難。她續說,一般庇護中心不會讓工作人員以外的人士進入,以保護中心內居民的安全及私隱;她多次感謝市民熱心捐贈,但強調現時要以災民的福祉為首要考慮。 籲不分彼此、不分立場 至於關愛隊在救災工作的角色,麥美娟稱,關愛隊約340個隊員首日到各庇護中心及醫院支援站提供協助,及後亦在庇護中心繼續為受影響市民提供幫助。她稱,現時庇護中心內現有大量物資,與其花時間整理,首要工作是協助居民獲得短期住宿、證件等,「有物資就『HOLD 一 HOLD』」,又感謝各界眾志成城幫助。 麥續說,社會此時應不分彼此、分工合作,指有些人在幕後協助登記、安排交通,有些負責物資整理及分發,「社會大家應不分彼此,不分立場,大家一齊去幫助受影響居民,每一個都願意喺不同崗位上出一分力。」 義工稱被關愛隊催促離開 下午開始搬走部分物資 多名市民早前在社交平台發起救災行動,呼籲大眾捐贈物資到東昌街體育館,獲積極嚮應。他們早前組成自發隊伍,到體育館協助賑災。一名不願具名的義工表示,救援行動一直暢順,直到今日下午約兩時半,多名關愛隊成員到場要求自發義工團離開,未說明原因,僅稱「政府要take over呢度」;又要求義工團留低早前向民間收集得的物資。 該義工說,關愛隊未有提供接管時間表,僅不斷催促義工離場;同時民政事務署職員、警方及民安隊亦到場。該義工質疑大量物資由民間籌集而成,關愛隊無權要求留低物資;惟考慮到義工團難處理大量物資,加上初衷仍是救災,義工團於下午5時許將部分物資包裝好並送上貨櫃車,記者目測至少載滿一架大型貨車,並留低多箱飲料。義工說,將運送物資到區內其他有需要物資站,以及義工成員的貨倉。 義工說,不反對政府「清場」,指體育館是政府建築物,而長遠賑災亦應由政府負責,惟不理解為何不能事先溝通、做好交接,難免予人「將義工用完即棄」的觀感。 Source link

Families facing heartbreaking uncertainty in aftermath of Hong Kong fire tragedy

Families facing heartbreaking uncertainty in aftermath of Hong Kong fire tragedy

Leaving Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin on Thursday, unaware of the whereabouts of some of his relatives, a 76-year-old man surnamed Lam was left uncertain how to arrange the funeral of his older brother, who had just died in Hong Kong’s worst fire in seven decades. He arrived at the interdepartmental help desk

Sales of Lai Sun Development’s The Parkland residential project. Photo: Jonathan Wong

Hong Kong developers Emperor and Lai Sun find relief amid debt pressures

Emperor International Holdings has secured bank approval to resume borrowing under existing terms by nearly two years, providing the embattled Hong Kong developer with much-needed breathing room after it failed to meet HK$16.6 billion (US$2.13 billion) in debt obligations in July. Meanwhile, shares of Lai Sun Development (LSD) resumed trading on the Hong Kong stock

Death toll from Hong Kong fire climbs to 128 as city prepares for mourning period

Death toll from Hong Kong fire climbs to 128 as city prepares for mourning period

The death toll from Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in seven decades climbed to more than 100 on Friday as the government announced a three-day official mourning period from Saturday for victims of the blaze. National and Hong Kong flags at all its buildings and facilities will fly at half-mast until Monday, with officials cancelling all

JLL Hong Kong Monthly Market Dynamics report for 2025.jpg

Hong Kong’s Central Office Market Enjoys First Rent Increase Since 2022

Email Sign Up For Our Free Weekly Newsletter Hong Kong’s Central district posted its first rise in Grade A office rents in more than two years, as tightening vacancy in top-tier towers bolstered landlord confidence, according to new data from JLL. Average Grade A rents in Central edged up 0.1% in November from the prior

Flames and smoke billow from the windows of a flat at Wang Fuk Court. Photo: Dickson Lee

Failure of fire alarms in Tai Po could have delayed rescue, cost lives, expert says

The failure of fire alarms in the deadly Tai Po blaze could have delayed the response and evacuation of residents, according to a leading Hong Kong fire safety specialist. Anthony Lam Chun-man, a former director of the Fire Services Department, also said the extreme heat and intense flames both inside and outside made it almost

Anxious wait for relatives of people still missing in deadly Hong Kong fire

Anxious wait for relatives of people still missing in deadly Hong Kong fire

Families of residents still missing after a blaze engulfed an estate complex in Hong Kong on Wednesday face an agonising wait for news of their loved ones as the government needs more time to identify many of the bodies. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said on Friday that among the 89 unidentified bodies so

National Guard; Hong Kong fire; Books We Love : NPR

Good morning. You’re reading the Up First newsletter. Subscribe here to get it delivered to your inbox, and listen to the Up First podcast for all the news you need to start your day. Today’s top stories Sarah Beckstrom, one of two West Virginia National Guard members who were shot in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, has died. President Trump

‘What will happen to us’: fire-displaced Hong Kong residents facing uncertainty

‘What will happen to us’: fire-displaced Hong Kong residents facing uncertainty

Distress and uncertainty lingered among displaced residents after Wednesday’s deadly fire in Hong Kong, as they struggled to move into tiny temporary flats while calling for better long-term resettlement arrangements such as public housing. Some elderly residents who had lived for decades in Tai Po’s fire-ravaged Wang Fuk Court said on Friday they hoped the

Volunteer Jay (in a blue cap) sits next to a cardboard map of the area. Photo: Natalie Wong

‘Hongkongers’ solidarity’: volunteers pick up pieces for Tai Po fire victims

Against the backdrop of the seven charred residential blocks, an open plaza next to Wang Fuk Court has transformed into a bustling relief centre, manned by hundreds of volunteers aiding thousands of displaced residents on the third day since Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades. As large quantities of donated supplies continuously flowed into the

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x