Hong Kong tower blocks fire death toll rises to 128

‘Solemn scenes’: BBC reports from outside Hong Kong’s scorched buildings

At least 128 people have died in a devastating fire that engulfed multiple high-rise buildings in Hong Kong.

A further 79 people have been injured in the city’s deadliest blaze in more than 70 years, which occurred in the northerly suburb of Tai Po, while dozens remain missing.

The tower blocks had been undergoing renovations when the fire began. The cause of the blaze remains unclear but officials said on Friday that Styrofoam placed on the outside of the windows facilitated its rapid spread.

Three people overseeing the renovations are under arrest for manslaughter, and authorities have launched a corruption inquiry.

Bringing the fire – which spread across seven of Wang Fuk Court’s eight apartment blocks – under control involved more than 2,311 firefighters.

Firefighting efforts have now ceased. The fire was fully extinguished by 10:18 local time (02:18 GMT) on Friday, the fire department said in a news conference.

It also said 89 bodies have yet to be identified, and 16 bodies remain inside the buildings.

Authorities said police will begin entering the Wang Fuk Court buildings on Friday to start gathering evidence, and that an investigation will take place over the next three to four weeks.

Meanwhile, crowds have been gathering at a nearby community hall that has been opened to families looking for missing loved ones. Relatives are being asked to help with the identification process by bringing in family photos.

The Hong Kong government has also set up shelters and support centres for displaced residents. Groups of volunteers have been packing and organising supplies for those affected, including clothing and hygiene products.

The blaze started at 14:51 local time (06:51 GMT) on Wednesday, and by 18:22 local time it had been upgraded to the most serious category by fire officials.

The fire department said the fire started at a lower level before moving upwards, and reached a peak temperature of 500C (932F).

As a result, the blaze reignited in some places after being doused, they said.

One former resident, who moved out earlier this year and only gave his surname, told the BBC: “There was nothing we could do. Together we watched our homes burn gradually.”

The fire spread quickly across the separate blocks due to the presence of flammable netting and other materials on the outside of the buildings.

Firefighter Ho Wai-ho, 37, has been identified as among those killed. He was found collapsed at the scene on Wednesday, about 30 minutes after contact with him was lost.

Twelve other firefighters have also been injured, authorities said.

Map that labels China, Hong Kong and Tai Po's district where Wang Fuk Court is located

Two Indonesian nationals who had been working on the buildings were also killed in the fire, a migrant charity said. Indonesian and Filipino workers are among those still unaccounted for.

Indonesian worker Fita had been inside the building with her employer when she heard the fire brigade siren. She described it as scary and confusing, but added that she felt “so grateful” to be safe.

“But I’m concerned about friends I know… Usually we talk, and then I haven’t met them [since the fire],” she told news agency Reuters.

Many of those in the shelters have been unwilling to speak to the media while reeling from the trauma.

Shock has quickly shifted to anger in Hong Kong, as questions grow on who should be held accountable for the blaze.

Several residents have said they did not hear a fire alarm when the fire broke out. Hong Kong’s fire service found that fire alarms in all eight blocks were not working effectively.

Meanwhile, one resident told the BBC that some of the alarms had been turned off by construction workers.

Reports of residents’ prior complaints over high renovation fees and whether the materials used complied with fire-safety regulations have also resurfaced and are circulating widely online.

“We have reason to believe that those in charge at the company were grossly negligent, which led to this accident and caused the fire to spread uncontrollably, resulting in major casualties,” a police spokesperson said.


As firefighters bring the blaze under control, the extent of the damage is yet to be assessed

Thick smoke billowed into the sky as bystanders watched on

Wang Fuk Court was built in 1983 and had provided 1,984 apartments for around 4,600 residents, according to a 2021 government census.

Nearly 40% of its residents are estimated to be at least 65 years old. Some have lived in the subsidised housing estate since it was built.

Hong Kong’s deadliest fire on record killed 176 people in 1948 and was caused by a ground-floor explosion at a five-storey warehouse.

Additional reporting by Martin Yip and Gemini Cheng in Hong Kong

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Hongkongers mourn fire victims at citywide condolence points; toll at 128

Hongkongers mourn fire victims at citywide condolence points; toll at 128

This story has been made freely available as a public service to our readers. Please consider supporting SCMP’s journalism by subscribing. Get faster notifications on the latest updates by downloading our app. What we know so far: 128 people, including a firefighter, confirmed dead 79 injured, including 12 firefighters Status of 200 people unclear The

John Geddie

Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting

Two hundred still missing, search and rescue ended Eleven arrested in connection with city’s worst fire in decades Hong Kong officials hold three-minute silence on Saturday Britain’s King Charles sends condolences for ‘appalling tragedy’ HONG KONG, Nov 29 (Reuters) – Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive

HSBC CEO Georges Elhedery (left) takes part in a discussion with Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po (centre) and Standard Chartered CEO at the Hong Kong FinTech Week on November 3. Photo: Jonathan Wong

Work in progress: Hong Kong reaps the fruits of fintech seeds sown nearly 10 years ago

When Alvin Kwock, co-founder of digital insurer OneDegree, took part in the inaugural Hong Kong FinTech Week in November 2016, it was held at a venue suitable for only a few hundred people. “As it was the first ever fintech event in Hong Kong, only fintech start-ups were interested, no big financial institutions paid attention,”

Windows on buildings in Wang Fuk Court were covered with styrofoam. Photo: Karma Lo

Hong Kong construction clampdown needed after fire but industry must act too: experts

Systemic failings around supervision of building maintenance in Hong Kong, and a lack of coordination between departments charged with ensuring it is done properly, both needed to be addressed to prevent tragedies such as the Tai Po fire happening again, experts and sector representatives have said. The regulation of polystyrene foam boards was particularly important,

Windows on buildings in Wang Fuk Court were covered with styrofoam. Photo: Karma Lo

Hong Kong construction clampdown needed after fire but industry must act too: experts

Systemic failings around supervision of building maintenance in Hong Kong, and a lack of coordination between departments charged with ensuring it is done properly, both needed to be addressed to prevent tragedies such as the Tai Po fire happening again, experts and sector representatives have said. The regulation of polystyrene foam boards was particularly important,

Andre Agassi in action at Hong Kong’s Victoria Park during the Salem Open in 1999, in a match against Nicolas Kiefer. Photo: SCMP Archives

Andre Agassi on Hong Kong, his comeback and learning to live in the present

If there’s one piece of advice Andre Agassi offers, it’s to dream while awake. “It’s way too easy to dream when you’re sleeping,” says the American tennis legend. “Don’t be scared to dream big because it takes as much effort to dream big as it does small.” He advises choosing your definition of success carefully.

義工團將部分物資包裝好並送上貨櫃車,將運送物資到區內其他有需要物資站,以及義工成員的貨倉。(蘇智鑫攝)

大埔宏福苑五級火|義工稱被關愛隊要求離開庇護中心 麥美娟:非受災居民一般不應進入 (18:49) – 20251128 – 港聞 – 即時新聞

本報向現場關愛隊查詢,對方否認曾報警。警方亦稱,大埔警區至今沒有接獲相關報案。 民政及青年事務局長麥美娟傍晚回應說,現時一些庇護中心情况頗混亂,亦有很多並非居民的人士,更令派發一萬元應急錢的工作很困難。她續說,一般庇護中心不會讓工作人員以外的人士進入,以保護中心內居民的安全及私隱;她多次感謝市民熱心捐贈,但強調現時要以災民的福祉為首要考慮。 籲不分彼此、不分立場 至於關愛隊在救災工作的角色,麥美娟稱,關愛隊約340個隊員首日到各庇護中心及醫院支援站提供協助,及後亦在庇護中心繼續為受影響市民提供幫助。她稱,現時庇護中心內現有大量物資,與其花時間整理,首要工作是協助居民獲得短期住宿、證件等,「有物資就『HOLD 一 HOLD』」,又感謝各界眾志成城幫助。 麥續說,社會此時應不分彼此、分工合作,指有些人在幕後協助登記、安排交通,有些負責物資整理及分發,「社會大家應不分彼此,不分立場,大家一齊去幫助受影響居民,每一個都願意喺不同崗位上出一分力。」 義工稱被關愛隊催促離開 下午開始搬走部分物資 多名市民早前在社交平台發起救災行動,呼籲大眾捐贈物資到東昌街體育館,獲積極嚮應。他們早前組成自發隊伍,到體育館協助賑災。一名不願具名的義工表示,救援行動一直暢順,直到今日下午約兩時半,多名關愛隊成員到場要求自發義工團離開,未說明原因,僅稱「政府要take over呢度」;又要求義工團留低早前向民間收集得的物資。 該義工說,關愛隊未有提供接管時間表,僅不斷催促義工離場;同時民政事務署職員、警方及民安隊亦到場。該義工質疑大量物資由民間籌集而成,關愛隊無權要求留低物資;惟考慮到義工團難處理大量物資,加上初衷仍是救災,義工團於下午5時許將部分物資包裝好並送上貨櫃車,記者目測至少載滿一架大型貨車,並留低多箱飲料。義工說,將運送物資到區內其他有需要物資站,以及義工成員的貨倉。 義工說,不反對政府「清場」,指體育館是政府建築物,而長遠賑災亦應由政府負責,惟不理解為何不能事先溝通、做好交接,難免予人「將義工用完即棄」的觀感。 Source link

Families facing heartbreaking uncertainty in aftermath of Hong Kong fire tragedy

Families facing heartbreaking uncertainty in aftermath of Hong Kong fire tragedy

Leaving Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin on Thursday, unaware of the whereabouts of some of his relatives, a 76-year-old man surnamed Lam was left uncertain how to arrange the funeral of his older brother, who had just died in Hong Kong’s worst fire in seven decades. He arrived at the interdepartmental help desk

Sales of Lai Sun Development’s The Parkland residential project. Photo: Jonathan Wong

Hong Kong developers Emperor and Lai Sun find relief amid debt pressures

Emperor International Holdings has secured bank approval to resume borrowing under existing terms by nearly two years, providing the embattled Hong Kong developer with much-needed breathing room after it failed to meet HK$16.6 billion (US$2.13 billion) in debt obligations in July. Meanwhile, shares of Lai Sun Development (LSD) resumed trading on the Hong Kong stock

Death toll from Hong Kong fire climbs to 128 as city prepares for mourning period

Death toll from Hong Kong fire climbs to 128 as city prepares for mourning period

The death toll from Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in seven decades climbed to more than 100 on Friday as the government announced a three-day official mourning period from Saturday for victims of the blaze. National and Hong Kong flags at all its buildings and facilities will fly at half-mast until Monday, with officials cancelling all

JLL Hong Kong Monthly Market Dynamics report for 2025.jpg

Hong Kong’s Central Office Market Enjoys First Rent Increase Since 2022

Email Sign Up For Our Free Weekly Newsletter Hong Kong’s Central district posted its first rise in Grade A office rents in more than two years, as tightening vacancy in top-tier towers bolstered landlord confidence, according to new data from JLL. Average Grade A rents in Central edged up 0.1% in November from the prior

Flames and smoke billow from the windows of a flat at Wang Fuk Court. Photo: Dickson Lee

Failure of fire alarms in Tai Po could have delayed rescue, cost lives, expert says

The failure of fire alarms in the deadly Tai Po blaze could have delayed the response and evacuation of residents, according to a leading Hong Kong fire safety specialist. Anthony Lam Chun-man, a former director of the Fire Services Department, also said the extreme heat and intense flames both inside and outside made it almost

Anxious wait for relatives of people still missing in deadly Hong Kong fire

Anxious wait for relatives of people still missing in deadly Hong Kong fire

Families of residents still missing after a blaze engulfed an estate complex in Hong Kong on Wednesday face an agonising wait for news of their loved ones as the government needs more time to identify many of the bodies. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said on Friday that among the 89 unidentified bodies so

National Guard; Hong Kong fire; Books We Love : NPR

Good morning. You’re reading the Up First newsletter. Subscribe here to get it delivered to your inbox, and listen to the Up First podcast for all the news you need to start your day. Today’s top stories Sarah Beckstrom, one of two West Virginia National Guard members who were shot in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, has died. President Trump

‘What will happen to us’: fire-displaced Hong Kong residents facing uncertainty

‘What will happen to us’: fire-displaced Hong Kong residents facing uncertainty

Distress and uncertainty lingered among displaced residents after Wednesday’s deadly fire in Hong Kong, as they struggled to move into tiny temporary flats while calling for better long-term resettlement arrangements such as public housing. Some elderly residents who had lived for decades in Tai Po’s fire-ravaged Wang Fuk Court said on Friday they hoped the

Volunteer Jay (in a blue cap) sits next to a cardboard map of the area. Photo: Natalie Wong

‘Hongkongers’ solidarity’: volunteers pick up pieces for Tai Po fire victims

Against the backdrop of the seven charred residential blocks, an open plaza next to Wang Fuk Court has transformed into a bustling relief centre, manned by hundreds of volunteers aiding thousands of displaced residents on the third day since Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades. As large quantities of donated supplies continuously flowed into the

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x