Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting

  • Two hundred still missing, search and rescue ended
  • Eleven arrested in connection with city’s worst fire in decades
  • Hong Kong officials hold three-minute silence on Saturday
  • Britain’s King Charles sends condolences for ‘appalling tragedy’
HONG KONG, Nov 29 (Reuters) – Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 200 others still unaccounted for days after the disaster.
Authorities have arrested 11 people in connection with the city’s worst blaze in nearly 80 years as they investigate possible corruption and the use of unsafe materials during renovations at the Wang Fuk Court complex.

Sign up here.

Rescue operations at the site in the district of Tai Po, near the border with mainland China, concluded on Friday, though police say they may find more bodies as they search the burnt-out buildings as part of ongoing investigations.

The fire started on Wednesday afternoon and rapidly engulfed seven of the eight 32-storey blocks at the complex, which were wrapped in bamboo scaffolding and green mesh and layered with foam insulation for the renovations.

SEARCH FOR BODIES CONTINUES

Authorities have said the fire alarms at the estate, home to more than 4,600 people, had not been working properly.

Hong Kong leader John Lee, other officials and civil servants, all dressed in black, stood in silence for three minutes early on Saturday outside the central government offices, where flags were lowered to half-mast.

Condolence books have been set up at 18 points around the former British colony for the public to pay their respects.

“Our most heartfelt thoughts are with all those who have lost loved ones and with those that are now living with shock and uncertainty,” Britain’s King Charles said in a statement about the “appalling tragedy”.

At Wang Fuk Court, police officers from the disaster victim identification unit, wearing white overalls, helmets and oxygen masks, entered one of the charred buildings to continue their search for remains.

They climbed over mounds of bamboo scaffolding that had fallen during the disaster and around large puddles of water created after firemen doused the buildings for days to try to lower the temperatures inside.

Families and mourners gathered to lay flowers while some faced the grim task of looking at photographs of the dead taken by rescue workers. Authorities said on Friday that only 39 of the 128 dead had been identified.

Item 1 of 6 Charred remains of multiple residential towers following a deadly fire on Wednesday at Wang Fuk Court housing complex, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, China, November 29, 2025. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

Hong Kong’s Lee has said the government would set up a HK$300 million ($40 million) fund to help residents while some of China’s biggest listed companies have pledged donations.

Hundreds of volunteers have also mobilised to help the victims, sorting and distributing items from diapers to hot food.

They formed teams to collect, transport and distribute goods in round-the-clock shifts and have set up a sprawling support camp for displaced residents beside a shopping mall across from the complex.

At least two of the dead were domestic workers from Indonesia, the country’s consulate said. Dozens of domestic workers from the Philippines were also caught up in the disaster and 19 were still missing, said Edwina Antonio, executive director at Bethune House, a refuge association for migrant women.

Hong Kong has around 368,000 domestic workers, mostly women from low-income Asian countries who live with their employers, often in cramped spaces.

DEADLIEST BLAZE SINCE 1948

The fire is Hong Kong’s deadliest since 1948, when 176 people died in a warehouse blaze, and has prompted comparisons to London’s Grenfell Tower inferno, which killed 72 people in 2017.
Residents of Wang Fuk Court were told by authorities last year that they faced “relatively low fire risks” after complaining repeatedly about fire hazards posed by ongoing renovation, the city’s Labour Department told Reuters.

The residents had raised concerns in September 2024, including about the potential flammability of the protective green mesh contractors had used to cover the bamboo scaffolding, a department spokesperson said.

Hong Kong’s anti-graft body said it had arrested eight people on Friday including an engineering consultant, a scaffolding subcontractor and an intermediary.

Earlier, police arrested two directors and an engineering consultant of Prestige Construction, a firm identified by the government as doing maintenance on Wang Fuk Court for more than a year, on suspicion of manslaughter for using unsafe materials, including flammable foam boards blocking windows.

Prestige did not answer repeated calls for comment.

Reporting by John Geddie, Farah Master, Mei Mei Chu, Tyrone Siu, Artorn Pookasook and Yuddy Cahya Budiman in Hong Kong; Editing by Stephen Coates

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Related Article

Hong Kong fire tragedy: Were authorities alerted long before? Key details

Hong Kong fire tragedy: Were authorities alerted long before? Key details

More than a year before a massive blaze tore through the Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Hong Kong, residents had raised an alarm over the use of flammable construction materials during ongoing renovation works. Their concerns, largely dismissed at the time, have now resurfaced at the centre of a widening investigation into one of

RADII highlight's the 1988 film, directed by Mike Newell and staring Sylvia Chang, Danny Dun, and Jodi Long on Hong Kong immigrant's journey.

This 1988 Film Reveals the Dark Side of the Hong Kong Immigrant Journey

The 1980s marked a period of profound uncertainty for Hong Kong. With the 1997 handover to China looming and the signing of the Sino-British Joint Declaration in 1984, many residents, particularly the burgeoning middle class, sought stability elsewhere. This political anxiety spurred a significant wave of emigration as people looked to secure foreign passports and

Difficult to say if fire-ravaged Hong Kong buildings can be fixed: experts

Difficult to say if fire-ravaged Hong Kong buildings can be fixed: experts

The government should take the lead in assessing the structural safety of the estate engulfed by Hong Kong’s worst fire in decades before deciding whether it should be restored or redeveloped, experts have said, warning of liability problems and a long road ahead. The future of Wang Fuk Court, where a massive fire raged through

Hongkongers mourn fire victims at citywide condolence points; toll at 128

Hongkongers mourn fire victims at citywide condolence points; toll at 128

This story has been made freely available as a public service to our readers. Please consider supporting SCMP’s journalism by subscribing. Get faster notifications on the latest updates by downloading our app. What we know so far: 128 people, including a firefighter, confirmed dead 79 injured, including 12 firefighters Status of 200 people unclear The

HSBC CEO Georges Elhedery (left) takes part in a discussion with Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po (centre) and Standard Chartered CEO at the Hong Kong FinTech Week on November 3. Photo: Jonathan Wong

Work in progress: Hong Kong reaps the fruits of fintech seeds sown nearly 10 years ago

When Alvin Kwock, co-founder of digital insurer OneDegree, took part in the inaugural Hong Kong FinTech Week in November 2016, it was held at a venue suitable for only a few hundred people. “As it was the first ever fintech event in Hong Kong, only fintech start-ups were interested, no big financial institutions paid attention,”

Windows on buildings in Wang Fuk Court were covered with styrofoam. Photo: Karma Lo

Hong Kong construction clampdown needed after fire but industry must act too: experts

Systemic failings around supervision of building maintenance in Hong Kong, and a lack of coordination between departments charged with ensuring it is done properly, both needed to be addressed to prevent tragedies such as the Tai Po fire happening again, experts and sector representatives have said. The regulation of polystyrene foam boards was particularly important,

Windows on buildings in Wang Fuk Court were covered with styrofoam. Photo: Karma Lo

Hong Kong construction clampdown needed after fire but industry must act too: experts

Systemic failings around supervision of building maintenance in Hong Kong, and a lack of coordination between departments charged with ensuring it is done properly, both needed to be addressed to prevent tragedies such as the Tai Po fire happening again, experts and sector representatives have said. The regulation of polystyrene foam boards was particularly important,

Andre Agassi in action at Hong Kong’s Victoria Park during the Salem Open in 1999, in a match against Nicolas Kiefer. Photo: SCMP Archives

Andre Agassi on Hong Kong, his comeback and learning to live in the present

If there’s one piece of advice Andre Agassi offers, it’s to dream while awake. “It’s way too easy to dream when you’re sleeping,” says the American tennis legend. “Don’t be scared to dream big because it takes as much effort to dream big as it does small.” He advises choosing your definition of success carefully.

義工團將部分物資包裝好並送上貨櫃車,將運送物資到區內其他有需要物資站,以及義工成員的貨倉。(蘇智鑫攝)

大埔宏福苑五級火|義工稱被關愛隊要求離開庇護中心 麥美娟:非受災居民一般不應進入 (18:49) – 20251128 – 港聞 – 即時新聞

本報向現場關愛隊查詢,對方否認曾報警。警方亦稱,大埔警區至今沒有接獲相關報案。 民政及青年事務局長麥美娟傍晚回應說,現時一些庇護中心情况頗混亂,亦有很多並非居民的人士,更令派發一萬元應急錢的工作很困難。她續說,一般庇護中心不會讓工作人員以外的人士進入,以保護中心內居民的安全及私隱;她多次感謝市民熱心捐贈,但強調現時要以災民的福祉為首要考慮。 籲不分彼此、不分立場 至於關愛隊在救災工作的角色,麥美娟稱,關愛隊約340個隊員首日到各庇護中心及醫院支援站提供協助,及後亦在庇護中心繼續為受影響市民提供幫助。她稱,現時庇護中心內現有大量物資,與其花時間整理,首要工作是協助居民獲得短期住宿、證件等,「有物資就『HOLD 一 HOLD』」,又感謝各界眾志成城幫助。 麥續說,社會此時應不分彼此、分工合作,指有些人在幕後協助登記、安排交通,有些負責物資整理及分發,「社會大家應不分彼此,不分立場,大家一齊去幫助受影響居民,每一個都願意喺不同崗位上出一分力。」 義工稱被關愛隊催促離開 下午開始搬走部分物資 多名市民早前在社交平台發起救災行動,呼籲大眾捐贈物資到東昌街體育館,獲積極嚮應。他們早前組成自發隊伍,到體育館協助賑災。一名不願具名的義工表示,救援行動一直暢順,直到今日下午約兩時半,多名關愛隊成員到場要求自發義工團離開,未說明原因,僅稱「政府要take over呢度」;又要求義工團留低早前向民間收集得的物資。 該義工說,關愛隊未有提供接管時間表,僅不斷催促義工離場;同時民政事務署職員、警方及民安隊亦到場。該義工質疑大量物資由民間籌集而成,關愛隊無權要求留低物資;惟考慮到義工團難處理大量物資,加上初衷仍是救災,義工團於下午5時許將部分物資包裝好並送上貨櫃車,記者目測至少載滿一架大型貨車,並留低多箱飲料。義工說,將運送物資到區內其他有需要物資站,以及義工成員的貨倉。 義工說,不反對政府「清場」,指體育館是政府建築物,而長遠賑災亦應由政府負責,惟不理解為何不能事先溝通、做好交接,難免予人「將義工用完即棄」的觀感。 Source link

Families facing heartbreaking uncertainty in aftermath of Hong Kong fire tragedy

Families facing heartbreaking uncertainty in aftermath of Hong Kong fire tragedy

Leaving Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin on Thursday, unaware of the whereabouts of some of his relatives, a 76-year-old man surnamed Lam was left uncertain how to arrange the funeral of his older brother, who had just died in Hong Kong’s worst fire in seven decades. He arrived at the interdepartmental help desk

Sales of Lai Sun Development’s The Parkland residential project. Photo: Jonathan Wong

Hong Kong developers Emperor and Lai Sun find relief amid debt pressures

Emperor International Holdings has secured bank approval to resume borrowing under existing terms by nearly two years, providing the embattled Hong Kong developer with much-needed breathing room after it failed to meet HK$16.6 billion (US$2.13 billion) in debt obligations in July. Meanwhile, shares of Lai Sun Development (LSD) resumed trading on the Hong Kong stock

Death toll from Hong Kong fire climbs to 128 as city prepares for mourning period

Death toll from Hong Kong fire climbs to 128 as city prepares for mourning period

The death toll from Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in seven decades climbed to more than 100 on Friday as the government announced a three-day official mourning period from Saturday for victims of the blaze. National and Hong Kong flags at all its buildings and facilities will fly at half-mast until Monday, with officials cancelling all

JLL Hong Kong Monthly Market Dynamics report for 2025.jpg

Hong Kong’s Central Office Market Enjoys First Rent Increase Since 2022

Email Sign Up For Our Free Weekly Newsletter Hong Kong’s Central district posted its first rise in Grade A office rents in more than two years, as tightening vacancy in top-tier towers bolstered landlord confidence, according to new data from JLL. Average Grade A rents in Central edged up 0.1% in November from the prior

Flames and smoke billow from the windows of a flat at Wang Fuk Court. Photo: Dickson Lee

Failure of fire alarms in Tai Po could have delayed rescue, cost lives, expert says

The failure of fire alarms in the deadly Tai Po blaze could have delayed the response and evacuation of residents, according to a leading Hong Kong fire safety specialist. Anthony Lam Chun-man, a former director of the Fire Services Department, also said the extreme heat and intense flames both inside and outside made it almost

Anxious wait for relatives of people still missing in deadly Hong Kong fire

Anxious wait for relatives of people still missing in deadly Hong Kong fire

Families of residents still missing after a blaze engulfed an estate complex in Hong Kong on Wednesday face an agonising wait for news of their loved ones as the government needs more time to identify many of the bodies. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said on Friday that among the 89 unidentified bodies so

National Guard; Hong Kong fire; Books We Love : NPR

Good morning. You’re reading the Up First newsletter. Subscribe here to get it delivered to your inbox, and listen to the Up First podcast for all the news you need to start your day. Today’s top stories Sarah Beckstrom, one of two West Virginia National Guard members who were shot in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, has died. President Trump

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x